    There is a difference between
    *thinking* you know something,
    and *knowing* you know something.
    TLOlczyk, Jul 10, 2004

  2. TLOlczyk wrote:

    > I am using Linux and want to debug some code written in a slightly
    > older version of Pwel. So I want to setup a user who uses that old
    > version. How do I install it, without mucking up any of the present
    > perl stuff?

    That's described in the standard installation docs. The key word to look for
    there is "prefix".

    Let's say you used a prefix of /usr/local/oldperl. The Perl binary would
    then be in /usr/local/oldperl/bin, so add that to your user's PATH. Or,
    begin scripts that use the old perl with #!/usr/local/oldperl/bin/perl.

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Jul 10, 2004

  3. TLOlczyk

    TLOlczyk Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 08:56:02 -0400, Sherm Pendley
    <> wrote:

    >TLOlczyk wrote:
    >
    >> I am using Linux and want to debug some code written in a slightly
    >> older version of Pwel. So I want to setup a user who uses that old
    >> version. How do I install it, without mucking up any of the present
    >> perl stuff?

    >That's described in the standard installation docs. The key word to look for
    >there is "prefix".
    >
    >Let's say you used a prefix of /usr/local/oldperl. The Perl binary would
    >then be in /usr/local/oldperl/bin, so add that to your user's PATH. Or,
    >begin scripts that use the old perl with #!/usr/local/oldperl/bin/perl.

    Sorry your answer shows me that I asked the wrong question.
    The right question should have been:
    "How do I get two different versions of perl to coexist on the same
    machine."

    The reply-to email address is .
    This is an address I ignore.
    To reply via email, remove 2002 and change yahoo to
    interaccess,

    **
    Thaddeus L. Olczyk, PhD

    TLOlczyk, Jul 10, 2004
  4. TLOlczyk wrote:

    > Sorry your answer shows me that I asked the wrong question.
    > The right question should have been:
    > "How do I get two different versions of perl to coexist on the same
    > machine."

    How is that question any different than your first one?

    Like I said - build each version using a different install prefix, as
    described in the standard docs that come with the Perl source. You can
    install as many different versions that way as disk space and patience
    allows.

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Jul 10, 2004
  5. TLOlczyk

    Joe Smith Guest

    TLOlczyk wrote:

    >>That's described in the standard installation docs. The key word to look for
    >>there is "prefix".
    >>
    >>Let's say you used a prefix of /usr/local/oldperl. The Perl binary would
    >>then be in /usr/local/oldperl/bin, so add that to your user's PATH. Or,
    >>begin scripts that use the old perl with #!/usr/local/oldperl/bin/perl.
    >>

    > Sorry your answer shows me that I asked the wrong question.
    > The right question should have been:
    > "How do I get two different versions of perl to coexist on the same
    > machine."

    The answer was stated above.
    Put one version of perl in /usr/local/bin/perl and the other one
    in /usr/local/oldperl/bin/perl.
    Both versions (and their libraries) can coexist on the same machine.

    Notice that you did not ask "how can I make '/usr/bin/perl' be different
    versions to different users". If you had asked that question, I would
    have referred you to the chroot() system call and/or executable program.
    But you didn't, so Sherm's answer stands.
    -Joe
    Joe Smith, Jul 11, 2004