Installing SpamBayes

Dog

I am brand new to the whole Python thing and am trying to install SpamBayes
so that I can use the proxy server to filter spam at my office. I am having
trouble following the instructions provided. It says to run the setup.py
file using the following command in IDLE in the directory that I extracted
the spambayes files into: python setup.py install.

When I do this, it tells me that python is not a recognized command.

PLEASE HELP!!

Signed,

Frustrated.

Rene Pijlman

(e-mail address removed):
It says to run the setup.py file using the following command in IDLE

Where does it say that? The wordt "idle" doesn't appear on
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs....s/README.txt?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/plain
in the directory that I extracted the spambayes files into: python setup.py
install.

When I do this, it tells me that python is not a recognized command.
^^
What exactly is "it"? Is it a Unix/Linux shell, or the Windows command
interpreter?

Dog

The instructions that came with SpamBayes says it. THey say to either run
the setup.py file in the Python GUI (IDLE) or froma command prompt. I have
tried both to no avail...

Josiah Carlson

The instructions that came with SpamBayes says it. THey say to either run
the setup.py file in the Python GUI (IDLE) or froma command prompt. I have
tried both to no avail...

If you are in windows and your associations are correct, try:
setup.py install

- Josiah

Josiah Carlson

That didnt work either and the file assoc. are correct.
Steps for you to help us help you:
1. Open up a console.
2. Change to the proper path.
3. Run (without the single quotes)
'python setup.py install'
if that doesn't work, try
'setup.py install'
4. Copy and paste the output in a message here.

- Josiah

Dog

I think that may be my problem. I am not sure how to change the path to
where the setup.py file is...

Josiah Carlson

Here is an example set of interactions I did with my command line:

Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
(C) Copyright 1985-2000 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>cd "Documents and Settings"

C:\Documents and Settings>cd jcarlson

C:\Documents and Settings\jcarlson>cd Desktop

C:\Documents and Settings\jcarlson\Desktop>cd ..

C:\Documents and Settings\jcarlson>cd \

C:\>d:

D:\>c:

C:\>

I hope that is enough of an example for you to figure out what is going
on. As to which path you need to change to, it is wherever you decided
to uncompress Spambayes.

A few things to note. On Windows 2000/xp:
C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Desktop is the default location of
your desktop.
c:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\My Documents is the default location
of your 'My Documents' folder..

If this isn't enough, then Jeebus help you.

- Josiah

Dog

Its my fault for not being clear on this. I know how to change the
directory on a command prompt in Windows. I was speaking of the Python
prompt (>>>). Once I got that, I tried running the file but got this:

Python 2.3.3 (#51, Dec 18 2003, 20:22:39) [MSC v.1200 32 bit (Intel)] on
win32
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information. File "<stdin>", line 1
python setup.py install
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
Hope this clears up my inability to give the correct info! :)

Josiah Carlson said:
[...]

Paul Prescod

Its my fault for not being clear on this. I know how to change the
directory on a command prompt in Windows. I was speaking of the Python
prompt (>>>). Once I got that, I tried running the file but got this:

Python 2.3.3 (#51, Dec 18 2003, 20:22:39) [MSC v.1200 32 bit (Intel)] on
win32

File "<stdin>", line 1
python setup.py install
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

You do not run the setup command from within Python. You do it from your
Windows/Unix/Mac/DOS command line.

C:\>python setup.py install

Paul Prescod