    thanks - dave
    david_at_windward_dot_net
    http://www.windwardreports.com
    David Thielen, Jun 1, 2006

  2. Hi Dave,

    Thank you for posting.

    As for the SQLExpress installation, since it is a prerequisites of your web
    application setup project, I think you can consider using the VS 2005 setup
    project's "Prerequisites" feature which can help add some automatic detect
    and install support of some certain components(such as .net framework,
    MDAC, SQLEXPRESS.... ). Actually this is done by the built-in bootstrapper
    component included in the VS 2005 setup project, you can have a look at the
    msdn reference on this:

    #How to: Install Prerequisites in Windows Installer Deployment
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/7eh4aaa5.aspx

    By default, the installation option for such prerequisites are download and
    install from the vendor's site(recommend), however, you can also manually
    specify a location(local or remote ) which will be displayed to user during
    the setup step. For your scenario, if you choos the "Sql Express" as one
    of the prerequisites, when the user launch your application's setup
    package, it will first check the existence of those prerequisites
    components on the user's machine and if not existed, it will launch that
    component's installation package according to our configuration( from
    vendor site or from the msi in within our application's setup pakage or
    from a custom location...)

    Hope this helps.

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Community Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)
    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Jun 2, 2006

  3. Hi;

    We use WIX instead of VS setup. We use WIX instead because the VS setup has
    lots of errors in it according to the WIX group at Microsoft.

    So can you tell us how to:

    a) Determine if Sql Express is installed (registry setting, etc.)

    b) What url to send users to to download & install Sql Express

    David Thielen, Jun 2, 2006
  4. If you are using WiX, you might consider creating a simple VS setup project
    that checks for that dependency and then using dark to reverse engineer the
    MSI so you can see how they are detecting the dependency. That might be the
    most reliable way to determine this. Also, asking on the WiX mailing list
    is probably a better bet...

    Joe K.

    http://www.directoryprogramming.net

    Joe Kaplan \(MVP - ADSI\), Jun 2, 2006
  5. Hi Dave,

    As for SQL EXPRESS's download location, you can visit the Microsoft
    download site and search for it. Based on research, you can consider use
    the following links:

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=220549b5-0b07-4448-
    8848-dcc397514b41&DisplayLang=en

    or