Installing tcl/tk on Linux

Discussion in 'Python' started by =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOSYbKEIgGyRCZkYbKEI=?=, Dec 18, 2003.

  1. Hi,I'm a newbie on python.

    When I was trying to install python on Linux, I followed
    these instructions:

    1.Open the file Modules/Setup in the Python directory.
    [Note: Do not alter the file Setup.in-only the file named
    Setup should be modified.] Find the line that begins
    # the _tkinter module

    2. Several lines need to be uncommented in order to
    install the module. Follow theplatform-specific
    instructions in this section to comment and uncomment the
    appropriatelines. Save the file and re-build Python.
    Tkinter can now be accessed byimporting the Tkinter
    module.

    But when I finished those steps, i found following
    problem:

    [root@Linux9 Python-2.3.3c1]# python
    Python 2.3.3c1 (#5, Dec 18 2003, 10:52:58)
    [GCC 3.2.2 20030222 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-5)] on linux2
    Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more
    information.
    >>> from Tkinter import *

    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
    File "/usr/local/lib/python2.3/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line
    38, in ?
    import _tkinter # If this fails your Python may not be
    configured for Tk
    ImportError: No module named _tkinter

    Would anyone tell me the exact steps to configure Tkinter
    on Linux?

    Thx a lot.
    kongx

    Yahoo! BB is Broadband by Yahoo!
    http://bb.yahoo.co.jp/

    =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOSYbKEIgGyRCZkYbKEI=?=, Dec 18, 2003

  2. =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOSYbKEIgGyRCZkYbKEI=?=

    duikboot Guest

    I have been struggeling with this too for a long time.

    But I see you use Red Hat, so why don't you just download the rpm packages,
    http://www.python.org/2.3.2/rpms.html and install these. It worked for me.

    Good luck,

    Arjen

    duikboot, Dec 18, 2003

  3. ? ? <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hi,I'm a newbie on python.
    >
    > When I was trying to install python on Linux <snip>

    Making Tkinter to work under Red Hat can be difficult (this is one
    of the reason why I switched to Mandrake). Google for
    "Tkinter Red Hat" on this newsgroup and you will find plenty
    of advice.

    Michele

    Michele Simionato, Dec 18, 2003
  4. Have you installed Tcl/Tk?

    See: http://www.python.org/topics/tkinter/download.html

    "For Unix, you must download, build and install both Tcl and Tk from
    the source. Build Tcl first. Each source distribution contains a
    README file explaining the process. It's about as simple as building
    and installing Python. Tip for GCC users: you must pass "--enable-gcc"
    to the configure script."

    Lonnie Princehouse, Dec 18, 2003