Installing tcl/tk on Linux

?

=?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOSYbKEIgGyRCZkYbKEI=?=

Hi,I'm a newbie on python.

When I was trying to install python on Linux, I followed
these instructions:

1.Open the file Modules/Setup in the Python directory.
[Note: Do not alter the file Setup.in-only the file named
Setup should be modified.] Find the line that begins
# the _tkinter module

2. Several lines need to be uncommented in order to
install the module. Follow theplatform-specific
instructions in this section to comment and uncomment the
appropriatelines. Save the file and re-build Python.
Tkinter can now be accessed byimporting the Tkinter
module.

But when I finished those steps, i found following
problem:

[root@Linux9 Python-2.3.3c1]# python
Python 2.3.3c1 (#5, Dec 18 2003, 10:52:58)
[GCC 3.2.2 20030222 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-5)] on linux2
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more
information.Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.3/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line
38, in ?
import _tkinter # If this fails your Python may not be
configured for Tk
ImportError: No module named _tkinter
Would anyone tell me the exact steps to configure Tkinter
on Linux?

Thx a lot.
kongx

Yahoo! BB is Broadband by Yahoo!
http://bb.yahoo.co.jp/

Michele Simionato

? ? said:
Hi,I'm a newbie on python.

When I was trying to install python on Linux <snip>

Making Tkinter to work under Red Hat can be difficult (this is one
of the reason why I switched to Mandrake). Google for
"Tkinter Red Hat" on this newsgroup and you will find plenty
of advice.

Michele

Lonnie Princehouse

Have you installed Tcl/Tk?

See: http://www.python.org/topics/tkinter/download.html

"For Unix, you must download, build and install both Tcl and Tk from
the source. Build Tcl first. Each source distribution contains a
README file explaining the process. It's about as simple as building
and installing Python. Tip for GCC users: you must pass "--enable-gcc"
to the configure script."