Installing tkinter with Python 2.4.2 on FC4

Paul Watson

I cannot yet get tkinter working on 2.4.2. I have installed the tk rpms
from FC4. I have checked to see that TKPATH is available in
Modules/Setup.

How can I verify that I have tcl/tk installed correctly and it is the
correct version (8+)?

Paul Watson

Paul said:
I cannot yet get tkinter working on 2.4.2. I have installed the tk rpms
from FC4. I have checked to see that TKPATH is available in
Modules/Setup.

How can I verify that I have tcl/tk installed correctly and it is the
correct version (8+)?

Surely, there must be a better way to do this than what I ended up
doing. Please respond so that someone will do better than I did.

To get this to work, I whacked the ./Modules/Setup file references to tk
things. Two lines were changed from /usr/local/* to /usr/*. The X11
lines were simply uncommented.

I had to install a few more RPMs from the FC4 CDs for tk and tcl. That
led to installing some more xorg-x11 RPMs.

After that, ./configure; make clean; make; make test;

# *** Always uncomment this (leave the leading underscore in!):
_tkinter _tkinter.c tkappinit.c -DWITH_APPINIT \
# *** Uncomment and edit to reflect where your Tcl/Tk libraries are:
# -L/usr/local/lib \
-L/usr/lib \
# *** Uncomment and edit to reflect where your Tcl/Tk headers are:
# -I/usr/local/include \
-I/usr/include \
# *** Uncomment and edit to reflect where your X11 header files are:
-I/usr/X11R6/include \
# *** Or uncomment this for Solaris:
# -I/usr/openwin/include \
# *** Uncomment and edit for Tix extension only:
# -DWITH_TIX -ltix8.1.8.2 \
# *** Uncomment and edit for BLT extension only:
# -DWITH_BLT -I/usr/local/blt/blt8.0-unoff/include -lBLT8.0 \
# *** Uncomment and edit for PIL (TkImaging) extension only:
# (See http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/ for more info)
# -DWITH_PIL -I../Extensions/Imaging/libImaging tkImaging.c \
# *** Uncomment and edit for TOGL extension only:
# -DWITH_TOGL togl.c \
# *** Uncomment and edit to reflect your Tcl/Tk versions:
# -ltk8.2 -ltcl8.2 \
-ltk8.4 -ltcl8.4 \
# *** Uncomment and edit to reflect where your X11 libraries are:
-L/usr/X11R6/lib \
# *** Or uncomment this for Solaris:
# -L/usr/openwin/lib \
# *** Uncomment these for TOGL extension only:
# -lGL -lGLU -lXext -lXmu \
# *** Uncomment for AIX:
# -lld \
# *** Always uncomment this; X11 libraries to link with:
-lX11