    So what are all the steps I need to perform to be able to install any
    CPAN module on a Windows machine?

    , Sep 16, 2007

    On Sep 16, 12:07 pm, Christian Winter <> wrote:
    > schrieb:
    >
    > > I'm running on Windows with ActivePerl, and I'm trying to install
    > > XML::LibXML. It's not in the PPM repository, so that's out of the
    > > question. I downloaded MinGW, so I have gcc, and I downloaded both
    > > nmake and dmake. I ran perl -MCPAN -e shell, and then install PAJAS/
    > > XML-LibXML-1.64.tar.gz. But I get the error 'C:\Perl\bin\perl.exe
    > > Makefile.PL' returned status 512, won't make. I searched all around
    > > for some kind of instructions or tutorial, but very few are for
    > > Windows and even fewer say anything useful.

    > > So what are all the steps I need to perform to be able to install any
    > > CPAN module on a Windows machine?

    > Building modules on Windows can be a bit non-trivial, especially
    > getting all the paths set correctly and the neccessary DLLs and
    > LIBs in the right places beforehand.
    >
    > But for XML::LibXML there should be a binary package available
    > at the uwinnipeg repository, so you should be able to enter
    >
    > ppm repo addhttp://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppmsuwinnipeg
    > ppm install XML::LibXML
    >
    > on the command line and be done with it.
    >
    > -Chris

    Oh, hotness! Thanks!

    , Sep 16, 2007

  3. On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 15:28:30 -0000, wrote:

    >I'm running on Windows with ActivePerl, and I'm trying to install
    >XML::LibXML. It's not in the PPM repository, so that's out of the
    >question. I downloaded MinGW, so I have gcc, and I downloaded both

    Did you try other repositories?

    http://win32.perl.org/wiki/index.php?title=PPM_Repositories

    Michele

    Michele Dondi, Sep 16, 2007
  4. Ben Morrow Guest

    Quoth Michele Dondi <>:
    > On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 15:28:30 -0000, wrote:
    >
    > >I'm running on Windows with ActivePerl, and I'm trying to install
    > >XML::LibXML. It's not in the PPM repository, so that's out of the
    > >question. I downloaded MinGW, so I have gcc, and I downloaded both

    > Did you try other repositories?
    >
    > http://win32.perl.org/wiki/index.php?title=PPM_Repositories

    Given the number of questions that come up with this answer, do you
    suppose ActiveState could be persuaded to include them by default? I
    guess they don't want support requests for things they cannot support...

    Ben

    Ben Morrow, Sep 17, 2007
  5. On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 11:42:00 +0100, Ben Morrow <>
    wrote:

    >> >I'm running on Windows with ActivePerl, and I'm trying to install
    >> >XML::LibXML. It's not in the PPM repository, so that's out of the
    >> >question. I downloaded MinGW, so I have gcc, and I downloaded both

    >> Did you try other repositories?
    >>
    >> http://win32.perl.org/wiki/index.php?title=PPM_Repositories

    >Given the number of questions that come up with this answer, do you
    >suppose ActiveState could be persuaded to include them by default? I
    >guess they don't want support requests for things they cannot support...

    Well, pehaps they should. After all, they would still include their
    own repository as the first one.

    Michele

    Michele Dondi, Sep 17, 2007