Installing XS Modules on Windows -- Like Pulling Teeth

FeelLikeANut

I'm running on Windows with ActivePerl, and I'm trying to install
XML::LibXML. It's not in the PPM repository, so that's out of the
question. I downloaded MinGW, so I have gcc, and I downloaded both
nmake and dmake. I ran perl -MCPAN -e shell, and then install PAJAS/
XML-LibXML-1.64.tar.gz. But I get the error 'C:\Perl\bin\perl.exe
Makefile.PL' returned status 512, won't make. I searched all around
for some kind of instructions or tutorial, but very few are for
Windows and even fewer say anything useful.

So what are all the steps I need to perform to be able to install any
CPAN module on a Windows machine?

FeelLikeANut

Building modules on Windows can be a bit non-trivial, especially
getting all the paths set correctly and the neccessary DLLs and
LIBs in the right places beforehand.

But for XML::LibXML there should be a binary package available
at the uwinnipeg repository, so you should be able to enter

ppm repo addhttp://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppmsuwinnipeg
ppm install XML::LibXML

on the command line and be done with it.

-Chris

Oh, hotness! Thanks!

Michele Dondi

Given the number of questions that come up with this answer, do you
suppose ActiveState could be persuaded to include them by default? I
guess they don't want support requests for things they cannot support...

Well, pehaps they should. After all, they would still include their
own repository as the first one.

Michele