Instancing local objects using JSON notation

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Zoran Perak, Oct 13, 2006.

  1. Zoran Perak

    Zoran Perak Guest

    Hi,

    I have a problem defining member as instance of local object (function) when
    defining object using JSON format.
    Here is an example:

    === code ===
    var Abc = function(a, b, c) {
    this.a = a;
    this.b = b;
    this.c = c;
    }

    var obj = {
    Xyz : function(a, y, z) {
    this.x = x;
    this.y = y;
    this.z = z;
    },
    CONST : 'some value',

    member1 : new Abc(1, 2, 3), // <-- OK
    member2 : new this.Xyz(1, 2, 3), // <-- error: this.Xyz is not constructor
    (this==window, not obj)
    prop1 : CONST // <-- error: CONST is not defined (how to reference
    obj.CONST here?)

    member3 : function() {
    var x = new this.Xyz(1, 2, 3); // <-- OK
    === /code ===

    I can define local member (member1) as new global object (Abc) but I would
    like to define it as new local object (obj.Xyz).
    I can instance local object inside code block (see member3) but I would like
    to create local object as member (see member2).

    Can someone tell me how to do this or in other words how to reference parent
    object (obj) while defining members ('this' in 'member2' definition
    references to global 'window' object)?

    Thanks
    Zoran Perak

    Zoran Perak, Oct 13, 2006