    HTML-JSClub Guest

    My Javascript club has been wondering how to make an instant messanging
    forum-type thing. A little help would be great. Thank you in advance.

    HTML-JSClub, Mar 17, 2005

  2. check out dChat at
    http://www.asgleonberg.de/dchat/ needs PHP but is
    nice!
    Cheers, Dom

    "HTML-JSClub" <> wrote in
    message

    Dominic Myers, Mar 18, 2005

  3. HTML-JSClub

    HTML-JSClub Guest

    Thanks...But, do I need a program to run these php files? I doesn't
    open in Internet Explorer.

    HTML-JSClub, Mar 19, 2005
  4. You'll need to have PHP and MySQL running on the
    server that you'll be using. If'n you haven't then
    I'm afraid that I'm stuck for suggestions without
    further data. What is it that you're after doing?
    There are a number of forum scripts out there
    including phpBB (Which is nice), I like dChat
    because it is so simple and easy to use but
    YMMV...? I'm thinking that javascript isn't gonna
    do you a great deal on it's own as it's strictly
    client-side whereas php is a server-side scripting
    language so messages can be stored in a database
    (MySQL in this instance) and retrieved by others.
    Cheers,
    Dom

    "HTML-JSClub" <> wrote in
    message

    Dominic Myers, Mar 19, 2005
  5. HTML-JSClub

    HTML-JSClub Guest

    The type I'm after is basicly the type you and me are using right now.
    Also, if I have a server where from can I download onto it PHP and
    MySQL? Or do they come with the server?

    BTW, thanks for answering all my questions so patiently.

    HTML-JSClub, Mar 19, 2005
  6. HTML-JSClub" <> wrote in
    message
    > The type I'm after is basicly the type you and
    > me are using right now.
    > Also, if I have a server where from can I
    > download onto it PHP and
    > MySQL? Or do they come with the server?
    >
    > BTW, thanks for answering all my questions so
    > patiently.

    Hey chap, what are you after doing?

    Generally speaking (and I'm going right down to
    basics here) you have a web-site which is hosted
    on a server, if this is a Linux based server then
    the chances are that the server software is
    Apache, if the hosting provider is any good then
    there'll also be programs called PHP (Which is a
    server-side scripting language) and MySQL (Which
    is a Database) integrated with Apache, this set up
    can be called LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP).
    There are other ways of setting up servers but
    this is my preferred way.

    Your web-pages are stored on the server and people
    can access them, it's possible to put bits of
    programs in your page and they'll do all sorts of
    fancy things on the client's machine, these
    programs are usually written in javascript.

    So we've possibly got 2 sorts of scripting
    languages now. One that resides and is processed
    on the server and that can talk nicely to the
    database, the other that resides on the pages you
    write and is executed on the client machine. If
    you want something with which to communicate with
    two or more users of the same page using different
    machines then javascript just isn't going do it,
    at least not easily.

    So we're looking at using a scripting language on
    the server, which is where dChat might be useful
    as it's a piece of cake to set up (as long as you
    have MySQL and PHP) and not all that complicated
    if you want to have a learn about what it is
    you're doing.

    Of course this is a simplistic explanation and I
    dare say others will be able to offer alternative
    suggestions...

    Cheers,

    Dom

    Dominic Myers, Mar 19, 2005
  7. HTML-JSClub

    HTML-JSClub Guest

    Oh. I get it now! Thanks for all your help Dom. See ya

    HTML-JSClub, Mar 21, 2005
  8. HTML-JSClub

    HTML-JSClub Guest

    Sorry to ask more questions but how do I make dchat work?
    Do I need to make a .htm file? If I do, how do I add all the dchat
    stuff?

    Thank you for your patience, Dom.

    HTML-JSClub, Mar 28, 2005