Integrated Windows Authentication, ASP.NET and FoxPro

Amedee Van Gasse

Hello,

Since it is the first time I'm posting in these groups, I believe a
(short) introduction of myself would not be a bad thing.

I am mainly a support engineer, not a programmer. I do have some
experience with Java and LAMP (Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP) but don't
consider me one of those boring OS advocates please. ;-)
I also have done a little bit with Visual Basic (and GwBasic in a long
forgotten past) and nowadays my job involves some VBA (mainly in
Excel). I have no experience at all with VB.NET or C# or ASP.NET. I
can't imagine it being too difficult though, how different can it be
from what I know already?

And now my question.
At work our programmers write/maintain a program in Visual FoxPro. (Yes
I know. No advocacy please! It's really ooooold - some code survived
the fall of the Berlin Wall.)
They are writing extensions to the program: all kinds of browser
modules, written in ASP.NET. You have to login, and the login/password
is checked against one of the FoxPro tables.

Now we had this customer who asked if it is possible to start the web
module without having to log in, using the Windows login.
I did some research, and correct me if I'm wrong, but this can be done
with Integrated Windows Authentication, right? I suggested this to our
programmers, but they had never heard about it. I don't blame them,
they are excellent FoxPro devs, but .NET and web applications are
relatively new to them.

So, can anyone give me any helpful clues? I'd like to make a very small
example program that demonstrates Integrated Windows Authentication. Of
course the Windows login should also be known in the FoxPro database,
or at least some user mapping will have to be done.

PS: If I have broken some written or unwritten rules by crossposting:
go ahead, LART me. I really didn't know what group is most relevant.

Paul Clement

¤ Hello,
¤
[...]

Yes you can authenticate automatically with the web server using Integrated Windows Authentication.
You can also determine the account ID of the authenticated user, but there is no programmatic access
to the password. However, AFAIK, FoxPro does not support integrated Windows security, but you might
want to check this anyway since I'm not a FoxPro expert.

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Buddy Ackerman

I recently wrote an application to scna the Active Directory for user
accounts on a periodic basis and insert the new user accounts and groups
into a database. Combined with the authenticated security mode of IIS I am
able to allow the AD to do the authentication while using the info from the
authenitcated user to access the database.

Email me if you'd like more info (just remove the _nospam from my email
address)

Buddy