Integrating xhtml/html validation into a web-based CMS(MS-windows)

Discussion in 'XML' started by Spam Survivor, Sep 15, 2003.

  1. Hi folks:

    I'm assuming someone's been down this path before: we want to provide our
    users with a tool integrated into our content-management website that will
    allow them to validate their html & xhtml documents. Our servers will be MS
    Win-2000.

    Plug-in commercial modules considered (something in .NET? COM+? Service
    exe?).

    Alternatively, if we could get hold of the source for a parsing-validation
    engine that can be compiled on Win-2000, we could bolt it in ourselves. My
    attempts to wander around the net seem to indicate much of the source for
    this sort of thing is unix-oriented. - I'm pretty unix-oriented myself, but
    the workplace & client-base isn't :)

    Yes, I know, our users could always use any number of web-hosted validators,
    or stand-alone validating tools which would do the job perfectly well, but
    that's much too difficult and complicated, and they'd rather pay us to fit
    the validation evaluation process into a nice simple all-in-one CMS with one
    URL which they won't forget.

    My email is below (pardon the obfuscation), or reply to group.

    Thanks

    Larry

    --
    Larry Cook, B.A. / L.L.B. (Melbourne), Dip.Comp.Sci. (La Trobe)
    alias (purple_xs2) at email address (southcom) type (com) country (au)

    Spam Survivor, Sep 15, 2003

  2. In article <BB8BA498.1F3E1%admin@127.0.0.1>,
    Spam Survivor <admin@127.0.0.1> wrote:

    % Alternatively, if we could get hold of the source for a parsing-validation
    % engine that can be compiled on Win-2000, we could bolt it in ourselves.

    libxml parses and validates both XML and HTML.

    --

    Patrick TJ McPhee
    East York Canada

    Patrick TJ McPhee, Sep 15, 2003

  3. Spam Survivor

    Nick Kew Guest

    Re: Integrating xhtml/html validation into a web-based CMS (MS-windows)

    In article <bk4lqe$4hr$>, one of infinite monkeys
    at the keyboard of (Patrick TJ McPhee) wrote:

    > libxml parses and validates both XML and HTML.

    The HTMLparser of libxml2 makes no attempt to validate. In certain
    respects it's tag-soup: for example it applies XML comment syntax,
    (which is incorrect in HTML) and doesn't grok many SGML abbreviated
    forms that are technically permitted in HTML.

    It's good at parsing real-world HTML (including tag-soup), but that's
    totally different to validating.

    --
    Nick Kew

    In urgent need of paying work - see http://www.webthing.com/~nick/cv.html

    Nick Kew, Sep 15, 2003
  4. Spam Survivor

    In article <BB8BA498.1F3E1%admin@127.0.0.1>, one of infinite monkeys
    at the keyboard of Spam Survivor <admin@127.0.0.1> wrote:

    > Plug-in commercial modules considered (something in .NET? COM+? Service
    > exe?).

    I could supply either a COM component or a Webservice running on
    Windows/Apache. In either case that'll mean porting existing Unix
    software, but it won't be the first time: I've ported much of Site
    Valet in the past.

    > Alternatively, if we could get hold of the source for a parsing-validation
    > engine that can be compiled on Win-2000, we could bolt it in ourselves. My

    OpenSP - but it's not the easiest library to work with.

    > that's much too difficult and complicated, and they'd rather pay us to fit
    > the validation evaluation process into a nice simple all-in-one CMS with one
    > URL which they won't forget.

    A variant I can supply is a validating spider that bugs page maintainers
    (by email) when it encounters invalid pages. That was ported to Windows
    over two years ago, as part of a bigger QA toolkit supplied with a CMS.

    Nick Kew, Sep 15, 2003