Integration with anoter system using XML-RPC

Francesco

Hi all,
I'm studying for my Universitary thesis an example of integration
between 2 systems.

It's a e-commerce site which uses j2ee for displaying products and
another legacy system for paying with credit card.

The protocol used to interface with the legacy system is xml-rpc over
HTTPS.
I think this is a fine solution for web clients.

Anyway I have to write a solution which is compatible also with a Swing
client.....can anyone give me some hints about how to set up correctly
this layer ? are there any solution which allow to communicate both
from a stand alone client and a Web application ?

I need only to set up an architectural point of view, I don't need to
specify third-part products or anything concerned too much with details
of implementation.....

Thanks in advance
Francesco

wesley.hall

Francesco said:
[...]

Why not use XML-RPC over HTTPS for your swing client too? Absolutely
nothing wrong with this approach at all. Infact, it has a distinct
advantage. Most corp firewalls allow traffic destined for port 80 to
allow users to browse the web.

Webservices (which is what you are building) can be consumed by many
different clients, including other web applications, desktop apps and
even J2ME mobile phone applications.

wesley.hall

Why not use XML-RPC over HTTPS for your swing client too? Absolutely
nothing wrong with this approach at all. Infact, it has a distinct
advantage. Most corp firewalls allow traffic destined for port 80 to
allow users to browse the web.

Whoops!! Of course HTTPS would be 443 :), same applies though. (Thanks
Dan :))

Francesco

(e-mail address removed) ha scritto:
Whoops!! Of course HTTPS would be 443 :), same applies though. (Thanks
Dan :))

Hello Dan
well thanks for your reply. I admit I have little knowledge ox XML-RPC
so I imagined it worked only for web clients.
So a swing client can send an XML-RPC message and I only need to
specify in my project that port 443 shouldn't be closed by the firewall
..
Thanks
Francesco

wesley.hall

Francesco said:
(e-mail address removed) ha scritto:

..
So a swing client can send an XML-RPC message and I only need to
specify in my project that port 443 shouldn't be closed by the firewall

Correct.