Intel C Compiler

Discussion in 'Python' started by Drake, Nov 8, 2010.

  1. Drake

    Drake Guest

    Hello,

    I'm an engineer who has access to the Intel C/C++ compiler (icc), and
    for the heck of it I compiled Python2.7 with it.

    Unsurprisingly, it compiled fine and functions correctly as far as I
    know. However, I was interested to discover that the icc compile
    printed literally thousands of various warnings and remarks.

    Examples:
    Parser/node.c(13): remark #2259: non-pointer conversion from "int" to
    "short" may lose significant bits
    n->n_type = type;

    Parser/metagrammar.c(156): warning #1418: external function definition
    with no prior declaration
    Py_meta_grammar(void)

    I was just wondering if anyone from the Python development team uses
    icc, or finds any value in the icc compilation info. Similarly, I
    would be interested to know if they use icc for benchmarking
    comparisons (yes, I know that Intel has been accused of crippling amd
    processors so let's not have a flame war please).

    Regards,
    Drake
    Drake, Nov 8, 2010

  2. Drake

    Stefan Krah Guest

    Drake <> wrote:
    > I'm an engineer who has access to the Intel C/C++ compiler (icc), and
    > for the heck of it I compiled Python2.7 with it.
    >
    > Unsurprisingly, it compiled fine and functions correctly as far as I
    > know. However, I was interested to discover that the icc compile
    > printed literally thousands of various warnings and remarks.
    >
    > Examples:
    > Parser/node.c(13): remark #2259: non-pointer conversion from "int" to
    > "short" may lose significant bits
    > n->n_type = type;

    I sometimes use icc. This is one of the most annoying warnings of the
    Intel compiler. See:

    http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=62308

    The problem is that the compiler issues this warning even when there is
    no way that significant bits could be lost.

    Stefan Krah
    Stefan Krah, Nov 8, 2010