Intellectual Property Talk at PyCon

Discussion in 'Python' started by VanL, Jan 11, 2007.

  1. VanL

    VanL Guest

    I will be presenting a talk at PyCon, "The Absolute Minimum an Open
    Source Developer Needs to Know About Intellectual Property." I want to
    tailor this talk so that it is interesting to as many attendees as possible.

    I am familiar with a lot of the internal divisions in the Free
    Software/Open Source community. My intent is not to advocate for or
    against any specific position, but rather to promote a common
    understanding and address specific situations that developers may
    encounter. In other words, a problem/solution approach, instead of an
    argumentative approach.

    With that in mind, I had in mind the following subjects:

    - A brief primer on intellectual property (what are patents, trademarks,
    copyrights, and trade secrets?)

    - What to do when you have an idea you want to develop, but you are
    working for somebody else

    - What it means to incorporate GPL'd modules into your own code

    - Ways to protect ideas that you have put into a proprietary software
    product

    - Ways to avoid, work around, or mitigate the effect of software patents

    - Licensing, using, and distributing software (comparing and contrasting
    the GPL, BSD, and Python licenses)

    I am interested in hearing about 1) other topics of interest, and 2) the
    relative level of interest in each topic. To keep within the time
    limits for my talk, I intend to address the most popular topics in
    roughly the order of their popularity.

    Thanks,

    Van Lindberg
    VanL, Jan 11, 2007