    don't understand how they could have taken such a giant step
    backwards. I am sure it is due to feature bloat but it is really
    disappointing. Has anyone else experienced this?
    epicwinter, Mar 15, 2007

  2. epicwinter

    Daniel Dyer Guest

    On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 23:06:48 -0000, epicwinter <>
    wrote:

    > I use to use intellij back in the 3.0x days (the glory days). It was
    > the most amazing ide i have ever used. I finally got to play with the
    > new versions and I feel like the completely ruined it. They changed
    > the gui and I don't think it is nearly as nice. But my biggest issue
    > is that it is slow. It seems like it got tremendously slower. I
    > don't understand how they could have taken such a giant step
    > backwards. I am sure it is due to feature bloat but it is really
    > disappointing. Has anyone else experienced this?

    It uses a lot of RAM (but then so does Eclipse), if you've got plenty of
    physical memory then it's not too bad. Performance on my Mac at home is
    fine, it's occasionally sluggish on my Windows PC at work, but then that
    runs more stuff. Both have 1Gb of RAM.

    If you're on Windows, this performance tweak might be useful:

    http://blogs.jetbrains.com/idea/2006/12/boosting-intellij-idea-performance-on-windows-systems/

    You can also tweak the VM start-up options to improve performace.
    Incremental garbage collection is one option that might improve things.

    My main complaint is that the 6.0 series of releases have been extremely
    buggy. 6.0.4 is the first one that is really usable but there are still
    some issues, the most significant being that it can crash editing complex
    Ant build files.

    Despite the flaws, I still think IDEA is the best option available and
    probably will be for a while yet.

    Dan.

    --
    Daniel Dyer
    https://watchmaker.dev.java.net - Evolutionary Algorithm Framework for Java
    Daniel Dyer, Mar 15, 2007

  3. epicwinter

    Daniel Pitts Guest

    On Mar 15, 4:06 pm, "epicwinter" <> wrote:
    > I use to use intellij back in the 3.0x days (the glory days). It was
    > the most amazing ide i have ever used. I finally got to play with the
    > new versions and I feel like the completely ruined it. They changed
    > the gui and I don't think it is nearly as nice. But my biggest issue
    > is that it is slow. It seems like it got tremendously slower. I
    > don't understand how they could have taken such a giant step
    > backwards. I am sure it is due to feature bloat but it is really
    > disappointing. Has anyone else experienced this?

    Its a little bit of feature creep. However, I think Idea 5.0 (with
    support for Generics) is a indispensable. I use the refactoring
    capabilities constantly. I didn't use it much in the "3.0" days, so I
    can't really compare its features, but I can agree that there are some
    performance "issues" with idea 5.0 and 6.0. Thing we do here where I
    work, is (through ant) remove and update our libraries. When we do
    this, IDEA "flashes" for a few minutes, trying to cope with some many
    altered .jar files.

    But, I can honestly say, I love developing with Idea. I've tried going
    back to VI, but ouch, when I can't invoke "Introduce Variable (ctrl-
    alt-v)", I get discouraged quickly.
    Daniel Pitts, Mar 16, 2007
  4. epicwinter <> wrote:

    > I use to use intellij back in the 3.0x days (the glory days).

    I was still in college in those days :)

    > the gui and I don't think it is nearly as nice. But my biggest issue
    > is that it is slow. It seems like it got tremendously slower.

    Having not been around in the "fast" days, I can't make a comparison.
    I do think IntelliJ occasionally bogs down doing mysterious
    incomprehensible things, but barely long enough to do a little web
    surfing while you wait. I'd be interested to hear what kind of
    hardware you're using - I'm sure it's true that, as with nearly all
    things, the hardware requirements to run IntelliJ smoothly have
    increased. I run on a 2.0G laptop with 1GB of RAM without significant
    problems, although a coworker with a similar machine finds it to be
    too slow for his tastes and uses VIM (!) instead. Feature bloat is
    always a problem, but I do believe that most of IntelliJ's features
    can be genuinely useful and timesaving, and I'm willing to pay a small
    performance price for more of them.

    Christopher Benson-Manica, Mar 16, 2007
  5. epicwinter

    Roedy Green Guest

    I am using it with 1 GIG and it is ok. I was using .5 gig and it was
    a pig. The big problem I have now is the Vista indexer kicking in to
    aggressively and dragging things down. I think the fool thing tries
    to index temp files.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green, http://mindprod.com
    Priorities: Prevent global climate destabilisation. End both wars. Prepare for oil shortages.
    Roedy Green, Mar 16, 2007
  6. epicwinter

    epicwinter Guest

    Good to hear the replies. I am just frustrated. I still use the old
    3 version but it is getting a little ridiculous because I have to use
    jdk 1.4 with it and that is holding some things back as you can
    guess. I just write code so much faster on 3.

    I used to use the 3.0 on my linux dual pentium 3 800 mhz processor
    machine with 768 memory and it screamed. But there isn't a chance of
    running 6.0 on that. On my windows notebook i have better luck but I
    still find it to be a complete dog. It has 1gig of memory, a 256 meg
    video card, a pentium m 1.3 chip. It is just a shame how much of
    stark contrast there is between 3.0 and 6.0 on either machine in terms
    of speed. From my perspective the core features in 3 were all i
    need. I think these IDEs are trying to become to complete. I don't
    need it managing all my resources outside of my application. I wish
    they would just focus on the coding side and do that well. Having the
    features I use 90% be super fast is more important than even having
    that other 10% of the features. I just feel like they ruined the
    perfect ide. If you have never tried 3.x you can still download it on
    their site. Give it a try it will blow your mind how fast it is.

    I can only imagine what kind of hardware people are going to need to
    run intellij 6.x with windows vista. You can barely run vista without
    2 gigs of ram i think you will need at least 3 to develop on it,
    preferable 4.
    epicwinter, Mar 18, 2007
  7. epicwinter

    Guest

    On 3ÔÂ16ÈÕ, ÉÏÎç7ʱ06·Ö, "epicwinter" <> wrote:
    > I use to use intellij back in the 3.0x days (the glory days). It was
    > the most amazing ide i have ever used. I finally got to play with the
    > new versions and I feel like the completely ruined it. They changed
    > the gui and I don't think it is nearly as nice. But my biggest issue
    > is that it is slow. It seems like it got tremendously slower. I
    > don't understand how they could have taken such a giant step
    > backwards. I am sure it is due to feature bloat but it is really
    > disappointing. Has anyone else experienced this?

    More see here!
    http://www.flash50.com/index.php
    , Mar 18, 2007
  8. epicwinter <> wrote:

    > Good to hear the replies. I am just frustrated. I still use the old
    > 3 version but it is getting a little ridiculous because I have to use
    > jdk 1.4 with it and that is holding some things back as you can
    > guess. I just write code so much faster on 3.

    Maybe a possible solution would be to somehow separate all the
    little-used goodies into plugins that could be installed only if the
    user wanted them. The situation does bring to mind the divergence
    between two certain text editors (I'm a vim person and hate emacs,
    generally, for reasons similar to your dislike of Intellij 6.)

    Christopher Benson-Manica, Mar 19, 2007
  9. epicwinter

    epicwinter Guest

    On Mar 19, 11:51 am, Christopher Benson-Manica
    <> wrote:
    > epicwinter <> wrote:
    > > Good to hear the replies. I am just frustrated. I still use the old
    > > 3 version but it is getting a little ridiculous because I have to use
    > > jdk 1.4 with it and that is holding some things back as you can
    > > guess. I just write code so much faster on 3.

    > Maybe a possible solution would be to somehow separate all the
    > little-used goodies into plugins that could be installed only if the
    > user wanted them. The situation does bring to mind the divergence
    > between two certain text editors (I'm a vim person and hate emacs,
    > generally, for reasons similar to your dislike of Intellij 6.)
    >
    > --
    > C. Benson Manica | I *should* know what I'm talking about - if I
    > cbmanica(at)gmail.com | don't, I need to know. Flames welcome.

    Possible. One thing that really shocked me was how they changed the
    ui so much. It just seems like they did a full rewrite at some point
    probably just so they could accomodate some new feature and now the
    whole thing is a mess.
    epicwinter, Mar 19, 2007