IntelliTXT

Discussion in 'HTML' started by JS, May 11, 2005.

  1. JS

    JS Guest

    Hi all

    This isn't a web design question but I'm asking here because you guys
    understand web technologies.

    Anyway, what is this new "IntelliTXT" bollox I've been seeing and is
    there a way to kill it?

    Example:

    http://www.2-spyware.com/file-pib-exe.html

    See the links for "monitors", "Internet", "security threat", "computers"
    and "hard drive".

    Although, they're not exactly links, are they? There's nothing in the
    source for the page AFAICS.

    The point is, I really, really hate these things because they're ugly,
    useless and you only have to hover over them for a split second and an
    ugly big tool-tip containing links and images pops up, affecting the
    general responsiveness of the browser for a moment, presumably while the
    tool-tips are loaded or generated. I use Firefox all of the time, so I'm
    not sure how other browsers are affected, although I just checked the
    page in IE6 and it behaved the same.

    As if the pop-up window wasn't enough! It seems the advertiser's mission
    is to find the most annoying way possible to smash surfers over the head
    with ads.

    Is there any way to block them, or stop the browser from honoring them
    completely?

    Thanks in advance

    JS, May 11, 2005

  2. JS

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed JS <> writing in

    > Hi all
    >
    > This isn't a web design question but I'm asking here because you guys
    > understand web technologies.
    >
    > Anyway, what is this new "IntelliTXT" bollox I've been seeing and is
    > there a way to kill it?
    >
    > Example:
    >
    > http://www.2-spyware.com/file-pib-exe.html
    >
    > See the links for "monitors", "Internet", "security threat", "computers"
    > and "hard drive".
    >
    > Although, they're not exactly links, are they? There's nothing in the
    > source for the page AFAICS.
    >
    > The point is, I really, really hate these things because they're ugly,
    > useless and you only have to hover over them for a split second and an
    > ugly big tool-tip containing links and images pops up, affecting the
    > general responsiveness of the browser for a moment, presumably while the
    > tool-tips are loaded or generated. I use Firefox all of the time, so I'm
    > not sure how other browsers are affected, although I just checked the
    > page in IE6 and it behaved the same.
    >
    > As if the pop-up window wasn't enough! It seems the advertiser's mission
    > is to find the most annoying way possible to smash surfers over the head
    > with ads.
    >
    > Is there any way to block them, or stop the browser from honoring them
    > completely?
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    I don't see that behavior in Opera. IIRC it's MS Smart Quotes, or
    something like that. That's one of the reasons I don't use IE. I'm
    surprised that Firefox is supporting them.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

    Adrienne, May 11, 2005

  3. JS

    Steve Pugh Guest

    Adrienne <> wrote:
    >Gazing into my crystal ball I observed JS <> writing in
    >
    >> Anyway, what is this new "IntelliTXT" bollox I've been seeing and is
    >> there a way to kill it?
    >>
    >> http://www.2-spyware.com/file-pib-exe.html
    >>
    >> See the links for "monitors", "Internet", "security threat", "computers"
    >> and "hard drive".
    >>
    >> Although, they're not exactly links, are they? There's nothing in the
    >> source for the page AFAICS.

    Look down the bottom of the source.

    <script type="text/javascript"
    src="http://2spyware.us.intellitxt.com/intellitxt/front.asp?IPID=1429"></script>

    >> Is there any way to block them, or stop the browser from honoring them
    >> completely?

    Stop your bowser from downloading anything from intellitxt.com

    >I don't see that behavior in Opera. IIRC it's MS Smart Quotes, or
    >something like that. That's one of the reasons I don't use IE. I'm
    >surprised that Firefox is supporting them.

    It's not. The whole thing is done with JavaScript, disable JS in IE or
    FF and the 'links' vanish.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>

    Steve Pugh, May 11, 2005