Interact with SQL Database using Python 2.4 or lower

Discussion in 'Python' started by Sascha, Aug 29, 2011.

  1. Sascha

    Sascha Guest

    Hello

    I have an website on an Australian webhost. I have designed my website
    to allow people to login & their login details are stored in an
    SQLite3 database. I interact with the SQLite3 database using pythons
    SQLite3 module(found only in python2.5 & up)

    My Problem: the webhost runs Python 2.4 so I cannot communicate
    with(query or modify) my SQLite3 database. The webhost will not allow
    me to install my own version of python or upload modules unless I
    upgrade to VPS.

    What do you think are my options to still be able to work/interface
    with my SQL database? Do you know of way to interact with a SQL
    database using python modules from Python 2.4 or earlier?

    Do you know of a python 2.4 module that will let me interact with an
    SQL database(can be MySQL, SQLite, etc.)?

    Sascha, Aug 29, 2011

  2. On 8/28/11 9:49 PM, Sascha wrote:
    > My Problem: the webhost runs Python 2.4 so I cannot communicate
    > with(query or modify) my SQLite3 database. The webhost will not allow
    > me to install my own version of python or upload modules unless I
    > upgrade to VPS.

    Get a new webhost. Seriously. This is a seriously absurd requirement --
    it goes past absurd into malicious incompetence, frankly. Not being able
    to upload your own modules?

    There has to be another option. Personally, I'm a major fan of
    Webfaction -- from price to plans to what's supported to actual
    effectiveness of their tech support.

    But I don't know if they have a warehouse in Australia, if their latency
    with any of their various data centers is suitable for you. Maybe, maybe
    not -- but there /has/ to be a better option then this site... Good
    hosts these days are not all that uncommon and are fairly competitive.

    --

    Stephen Hansen
    ... Also: Ixokai

    Stephen Hansen, Aug 29, 2011

  3. On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 3:09 PM, Stephen Hansen
    <me+list/> wrote:
    > Get a new webhost. ...
    >
    > But I don't know if they have a warehouse in Australia, if their latency
    > with any of their various data centers is suitable for you. Maybe, maybe
    > not -- but there /has/ to be a better option then this site... Good
    > hosts these days are not all that uncommon and are fairly competitive.

    Having burnt my fingers with a couple of web hosts, and finally
    decided to host my own web site, I have one major piece of advice
    regarding this:

    Get a personal recommendation.

    Don't sign up with any hosting service unless you have advice from
    someone you trust who has used that service and been happy with it.
    I'm sure good hosts aren't uncommon, but nor are bad hosts, and it's
    easy to get caught up with a lot of hassles and outages.

    BTW, don't take the fact that I host my own site as a negative
    recommendation for every hosting company out there. My requirements
    are somewhat unusual - I want to host a MUD, not just a web site.
    Hosts that let you do THAT much are usually quite expensive :)

    ChrisA

    Chris Angelico, Aug 29, 2011
  4. On 8/28/11 10:23 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
    > On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 3:09 PM, Stephen Hansen
    > <me+list/> wrote:
    >> Get a new webhost. ...
    >>
    >> But I don't know if they have a warehouse in Australia, if their latency
    >> with any of their various data centers is suitable for you. Maybe, maybe
    >> not -- but there /has/ to be a better option then this site... Good
    >> hosts these days are not all that uncommon and are fairly competitive.

    > Having burnt my fingers with a couple of web hosts, and finally
    > decided to host my own web site, I have one major piece of advice
    > regarding this:
    >
    > Get a personal recommendation.

    This is good advice, though with prices as they are in many cases --
    provided you don't need to start out immediately solid and have some
    development wiggle-room -- its not a bad thing to experiment.

    Just don't get too tied to a certain host until you feel them out.
    Sending them emails with detailed questions before you sign up is a good
    thing, for example.

    Good hosts will respond with detailed, specific answers, from real
    people. Bad hosts will point you to a vague website or stock reply.

    Real people, reading your real questions, and answering with real
    answers is a major, major sign of the kind of company I want to do
    business with. (Bonus points if they respond to complex, technical and
    legal questions with specific answers within 24 hours -- bonus++ points
    if the non-legal questions usually get responses in 1, at absurd times
    even).

    > BTW, don't take the fact that I host my own site as a negative
    > recommendation for every hosting company out there. My requirements
    > are somewhat unusual - I want to host a MUD, not just a web site.
    > Hosts that let you do THAT much are usually quite expensive :)

    Hehe, I don't want to get overly advertising in my comments (so I'm so
    not including a referrer link anywhere), but amusingly enough, my first
    Webfaction account was signed up for the MUD reason.

    They officially don't give a rats ass what you run in the background,
    provided you're just not using more then your RAM allotment and that its
    not spiking the CPU to a point that affects the rest of the system.

    I have one account that runs a mud, one that does often semi-significant
    background processing regularly via cron jobs (which they mailed me
    about once when it got out of hand-- but they were entirely professional
    and nice about it, and I fixed it with some controls so it behaved in a
    more friendly way towards the rest of the system), and one for my
    personal site where I run an IRC bouncer on, and all is cool.

    (Why three accounts? One is paid for by a client, one half by me, one by
    me -- it was just easier, and no way it all would fit under a single plan)

    Anyways. I shall not further ramble as a satisfied-customer.

    --

    Stephen Hansen
    ... Also: Ixokai

    Stephen Hansen, Aug 29, 2011
  5. Sascha

    Guest

    > Personally, I'm a major fan of Webfaction -- from price to plans to what's supported to actual effectiveness of their tech support.

    +1

    Malcolm

    , Aug 29, 2011