interacting with shell - another newbie question

James

Hello,

I work in this annoying company where I have to autheticate myself to
the company firewall every 30-50 minutes in order to access the
internet. (I think it's a checkpoint fw).

I have to run "telnet what.ever.ip.address 259" then it prompts me
with userid, then password, then I have to select "1". Then the
program closes itself and the internet is enabled.

I would like to automate this process with Python and run it every 30
miniutes so I don't have to keep typing in these userid/password
everytime. How can this be done? Is there a module I can use to
interact with the shell? (I'm running linux)

Thank you.

James

Larry Bates

James said:
Hello,

I work in this annoying company where I have to autheticate myself to
the company firewall every 30-50 minutes in order to access the
internet. (I think it's a checkpoint fw).

I have to run "telnet what.ever.ip.address 259" then it prompts me
with userid, then password, then I have to select "1". Then the
program closes itself and the internet is enabled.

I would like to automate this process with Python and run it every 30
miniutes so I don't have to keep typing in these userid/password
everytime. How can this be done? Is there a module I can use to
interact with the shell? (I'm running linux)

Thank you.

James

You shouldn't have to work through the shell. Just connect
directly via telnetlib. Here is an example that you should
be able to modify easily to meet your needs.

http://docs.python.org/lib/telnet-example.html

-Larry

James Stroud

James said:
Hello,

I work in this annoying company where I have to autheticate myself to
the company firewall every 30-50 minutes in order to access the
internet. (I think it's a checkpoint fw).

I have to run "telnet what.ever.ip.address 259" then it prompts me
with userid, then password, then I have to select "1". Then the
program closes itself and the internet is enabled.

I would like to automate this process with Python and run it every 30
miniutes so I don't have to keep typing in these userid/password
everytime. How can this be done? Is there a module I can use to
interact with the shell? (I'm running linux)

Thank you.

James

You should really randomize the timing somehow--and skip some intervals.

You do not want some turd figuring out that you have scripted the
process and ratting on you to the dorks who came up with this scheme.

Maybe keep track of your manual activites for a while in terms of timing
and then attempt to approximate what you find using the random module.

James

Tina I

James said:
Hello,

I work in this annoying company where I have to autheticate myself to
the company firewall every 30-50 minutes in order to access the
internet. (I think it's a checkpoint fw).

I have to run "telnet what.ever.ip.address 259" then it prompts me
with userid, then password, then I have to select "1". Then the
program closes itself and the internet is enabled.

I would like to automate this process with Python and run it every 30
miniutes so I don't have to keep typing in these userid/password
everytime. How can this be done? Is there a module I can use to
interact with the shell? (I'm running linux)

Thank you.

James
Sounds like the perfect way to get fired. To be sure though, remember to
store your password in clear text ;)
However bizarre the security measures seem it's obviously in place to
make sure it's *you* sitting at the computer. Scripting the
authentication process is equal to simply removing it.

James Stroud

Tina said:
Sounds like the perfect way to get fired. To be sure though, remember to
store your password in clear text ;)
However bizarre the security measures seem it's obviously in place to
make sure it's *you* sitting at the computer. Scripting the
authentication process is equal to simply removing it.

Yes, and finding ways to have employees pointlessly waste time is equal
to simply removing them.

Steve Holden

James said:
Yes, and finding ways to have employees pointlessly waste time is equal
to simply removing them.

The clue, of course, is right there at the start of the original post:
"I work at this annoying company ...". What the OP really needs is a new
employer if it's impossible to do anything about the "policy". The
company and the employee are clearly incompatible.

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden +44 150 684 7255 +1 800 494 3119
Blog of Note: http://holdenweb.blogspot.com

Hertha Steck

James said:
Yes, and finding ways to have employees pointlessly waste time is equal
to simply removing them.

Not as long as they are paid for the wasted time.