    page contents?

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    Anders
    Anders Skelander, Sep 28, 2006

  2. Hello,

    Anders Skelander wrote:

    > This question is slightly off-topic, but anyway:
    >
    > I found this Visual Basic code chunk that reads all files/contents
    > from a web page.
    >
    > http://www.freevbcode.com/ShowCode.Asp?ID=1252
    >
    > My question is: Will it always work with a straightforward
    > loop like this, one that pulls all the information from the web
    > server? Or does the client (normally a web browser application)
    > sometimes have to interact with the server, respond to requests
    > that go from the server to the client, during the download of all
    > page contents?

    I'm not into VB, but this one looks like it just downloads a single file. It
    does not pull 'all files/contents from a web page', which would require
    parsing the HTML and CSS code to look for embedded media (images..),
    external stylesheets and javascript.

    For downloading just a single file: yes, this is all that has to be done (in
    any languages which provide the functions to abstract the not so trivial
    HTTP handling away).

    HTH

    --
    Benjamin Niemann
    Email: pink at odahoda dot de
    Benjamin Niemann, Sep 28, 2006

  3. Anders Skelander

    richard Guest

    "Anders Skelander" <> wrote in message

    > This question is slightly off-topic, but anyway:
    >
    > I found this Visual Basic code chunk that reads all files/contents
    > from a web page.
    >
    > http://www.freevbcode.com/ShowCode.Asp?ID=1252
    >
    > My question is: Will it always work with a straightforward
    > loop like this, one that pulls all the information from the web
    > server? Or does the client (normally a web browser application)
    > sometimes have to interact with the server, respond to requests
    > that go from the server to the client, during the download of all
    > page contents?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help.
    >
    > Anders

    VB=Visual Basic scripting which only works in an IE browser.
    richard, Sep 29, 2006
  4. richard wrote:

    > VB=Visual Basic scripting which only works in an IE browser.

    Not if it is a server-side script running on an IIS server.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 29, 2006
  5. richard wrote:

    > "Anders Skelander" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> This question is slightly off-topic, but anyway:
    >>
    >> I found this Visual Basic code chunk that reads all files/contents
    >> from a web page.
    >>
    >> http://www.freevbcode.com/ShowCode.Asp?ID=1252
    >>
    >> My question is: Will it always work with a straightforward
    >> loop like this, one that pulls all the information from the web
    >> server? Or does the client (normally a web browser application)
    >> sometimes have to interact with the server, respond to requests
    >> that go from the server to the client, during the download of all
    >> page contents?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for any help.
    >>
    >> Anders

    > VB=Visual Basic scripting which only works in an IE browser.

    This isn't VBScript, it's Visual Basic. VBScript doesn't have data
    types. Besides that, VBScript is most commonly used on the server--it's
    the language of ASP.NET.
    Harlan Messinger, Sep 30, 2006