interaction between JEE-Server and Windows PC App.

Frank Langelage

We're using JBoss for different tasks, mostly running on a unix box.
No we have the task to call the transformation of a binary file to a xml
file on a windows PC. On this PC there is a COM-component available to
do this.
How to initiate this from a JEE-Server on the server?

So far we thought to create an app running as a service on the PC.
It gets the file as a binary stream, calls the functions of the com
object and sends back the xml.

But how to initiate this and what to use for communication.
Plain sockets and a self defined protocol, requiring to build an
JCA-adapter on the server side?
Message queues?

Any comments or proposals?

Frank Langelage

Moiristo said:
I would choose XML-RPC or SOAP.

No problem from the server side since we already use web services, but
this will need a web server (e.g. tomcat) and and module (e.g. Axis) on
the PC. A lot of stuff to call this single service method.