    Are there modules with relatively simple instructions for management that I
    can purchase or obtain?

    dorayme
    dorayme, Apr 15, 2005

  2. dorayme wrote:

    > I have been asked if it is possible to have a facility on a website so
    > that interested parties can make suggestions and comment

    > and there were replies about needing php... Is it possible to do without
    > such?

    User submits data. Somehow that data has to get to other users. This is
    impossible without some server side technology to accept the submitted data
    and process it. My preference would be Perl (via mod_perl or (second
    choice) CGI), other options include PHP, JSP, Python (mod_python or CGI),
    ASP or pretty much any programming language (via CGI).

    What you use is largely dependent on what the capabilities of your server
    are (unless you are in a position to change your server).

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Apr 16, 2005

  3. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    > From: David Dorward <>

    > dorayme wrote:
    >
    >> I have been asked if it is possible to have a facility on a website so
    >> that interested parties can make suggestions and comment

    > User submits data. Somehow that data has to get to other users. This is
    > impossible without some server side technology to accept the submitted data
    > and process it. My preference would be Perl (via mod_perl or...
    >
    > David Dorward

    Well, thank you, yes, I do see that there has to be processing... I have
    made a site for an organisation and they like it but this new request may
    mean I have to pass to others with more experience in these matters unless
    there is a way I can incorporate something on the web site without the
    skills you allude to. I guess what I was asking is whether there is any
    known or common way for people to have blogs on web sites without writing or
    dealing with the actual code or scripts for it. (Analogy, not in respect to
    server activity: Many people use javascript code with being able to write or
    understand it (for better or worse!), they put various blocks gotten from
    elsewhere and it works - often anyway :)

    Put it another way. Would it possible or likely that the server company
    would have the needed software or I could get it from elsewhere to be loaded
    by them and I could then link or do things on the site that engages with
    this software to enable the whole process. Pardon my ignorance, (or maybe
    don't :)

    dorayme
    dorayme, Apr 16, 2005
  4. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    > From: dorayme <>

    > Many people use javascript code with being able to write or
    > understand

    should have read "without being able to..."

    dorayme
    dorayme, Apr 16, 2005
  5. dorayme

    mbstevens Guest

    dorayme wrote:

    > Put it another way. Would it possible or likely that the
    > server company would have the needed software or I could
    > get it from elsewhere to be loaded by them and I could
    > then link or do things on the site that engages with
    > this software to enable the whole process. Pardon my
    > ignorance, (or maybe
    > don't :)

    Depending on the level of interaction required, you could
    go with a blog or with a wiki. Free software for these
    is all over the net. Besides Googling, you might search
    here...
    http://www.cgi-resources.com/
    http://www.cpan.org/
    Those are just Perl resources, but there is free software
    available in several languages. Installing requires some
    level of competence with the server's operating system
    and with the language being used. You may have to have
    it installed if you don't have a bit of time to get up to
    speed. Some blogs are hosted on a different system than
    yours, and you can just subscribe. This might be good
    for a personal blog, but might not be flexible enough for
    your needs. Google around and get a feel for it.
    --
    mbstevens http://www.mbstevens.com
    mbstevens, Apr 16, 2005