Interactive development

mike420

Is it true that Java will soon support interactive development (like with an interpreter) ?

Roedy Green

Is it true that Java will soon support interactive development (like with an interpreter) ?

It has had an interpreter since day 1. VAJ and Eclipse compile in the
background. compilation is very fast, especially with Jikes.

The biggest delay in the compile test cycle is loading java.exe.

pete kirkham

Is it true that Java will soon support interactive development (like with an interpreter) ?

A very old version of visual cafe (in the Java 1.0x days) used to allow
code changes during debugging, which ends up nearly the same, which then
went out the window when Sun standarized on the Java Debug Interface.

If you combine the JDI, runtime bytecode generation and a custom class
loader with and interpreter based on the reflection API you should get
an interactive development interpreter, though I can't think offhand of
anyone else who's got a working implementation like this.

Pete