  1. Guest

    Is it true that Java will soon support interactive development (like with an interpreter) ?

    , Jul 29, 2003

  2. Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 21:03:49 -0700 (PDT), ""
    <> wrote or quoted :

    >Is it true that Java will soon support interactive development (like with an interpreter) ?

    It has had an interpreter since day 1. VAJ and Eclipse compile in the
    background. compilation is very fast, especially with Jikes.

    The biggest delay in the compile test cycle is loading java.exe.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Jul 29, 2003

  3. pete kirkham Guest

    wrote:

    > Is it true that Java will soon support interactive development (like with an interpreter) ?

    A very old version of visual cafe (in the Java 1.0x days) used to allow
    code changes during debugging, which ends up nearly the same, which then
    went out the window when Sun standarized on the Java Debug Interface.

    If you combine the JDI, runtime bytecode generation and a custom class
    loader with and interpreter based on the reflection API you should get
    an interactive development interpreter, though I can't think offhand of
    anyone else who's got a working implementation like this.

    Pete

    pete kirkham, Jul 30, 2003