interactive fiction in Python?

George Oliver

hi, I'm just curious who might be working on interactive fiction
modules in the style of Inform or TADS for Python. I've seen a few
threads on this list [1] (among many that mention IF tangentially),
and there are old projects like PUB and PAWS. There are some newer
potential projects such as Curveship as well. In any case I'd like to
see what's out there.

thanks, George

[1]:

http://bit.ly/Python_Text_Adventure_Authoring_System

http://bit.ly/simple_interactive_fiction_engine

http://bit.ly/adventure_engines_in_Python

J Kenneth King

George Oliver said:
hi, I'm just curious who might be working on interactive fiction
modules in the style of Inform or TADS for Python. I've seen a few
threads on this list [1] (among many that mention IF tangentially),
and there are old projects like PUB and PAWS. There are some newer
potential projects such as Curveship as well. In any case I'd like to
see what's out there.

I'd be interested in checking out such a project, but I don't really see
the point in starting one. There are already several great IF tools out
there that are already freely available! The only reason I would see to
start one is either for pure intellectual curiosity or because you have
some feature ideas that no one else has implemented (and you'd rather
cash in on the potential glory than submit a patch!).

Best of luck finding what you're looking for... but maybe you should
start writing one yourself and post here about it! :)

Cheers

Terry Reedy

J said:
George Oliver said:
hi, I'm just curious who might be working on interactive fiction
modules in the style of Inform or TADS for Python. I've seen a few
threads on this list [1] (among many that mention IF tangentially),
and there are old projects like PUB and PAWS. There are some newer
potential projects such as Curveship as well. In any case I'd like to
see what's out there.

www.renpy.org

Visual novel engine written in Python, with full access to Python as
needed. Download includes a tutorial written with renpy. You can look as
source code in a separate window as you go (at least earlier version I
used did). Also has 150+ free games/novels to download.

"Ren'Py is a free and cross-platform engine that helps you use words,
pictures, and sounds to tell stories with the computer."

Terry Jan Reedy