    I think one way might be to adapt slime to ruby. As far as I know, this
    involves writing a swank like backend for ruby, and making some changes
    to the emacs frontend.

    Seshu Yamajala, Jul 26, 2010

  2. Seshu Yamajala

    Roger Pack Guest

    Seshu Yamajala wrote:
    > As someone who has used lisp, emacs, and slime in the past, I get
    > incredible frustrated with having to write ruby code. I do not find the
    > language to be that bad, but the development environments just don't
    > compare.
    >
    > My current setup is emacs, ruby-mode, and inf-ruby. I wish inf-ruby did
    > more. It would be nice if irb tab completion worked in inf-ruby, and if
    > this could somehow be piped to emacs and ruby-mode to get real tab
    > completion in emacs.

    I believe netbeans has auto-completion. Anybody else know of one?
    The redcar editor has TextMate-like completion, as well.
    http://redcareditor.com/

    Roger Pack, Jul 27, 2010

  3. Seshu Yamajala

    Guest

    On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 6:23 PM, Seshu Yamajala <> wrote:
    > My current setup is emacs, ruby-mode, and inf-ruby. I wish inf-ruby did
    > more. It would be nice if irb tab completion worked in inf-ruby, and if
    > this could somehow be piped to emacs and ruby-mode to get real tab
    > completion in emacs.
    >
    > Does anyone have some ideas about how to go about doing this?

    I have never tried it, but the video was cool:

    http://cx4a.org/software/rsense/index.html

    , Jul 27, 2010
  4. Seshu Yamajala wrote:
    > As someone who has used lisp, emacs, and slime in the past, I get
    > incredible frustrated with having to write ruby code. I do not find the
    > language to be that bad, but the development environments just don't
    > compare.
    >
    > My current setup is emacs, ruby-mode, and inf-ruby. I wish inf-ruby did
    > more. It would be nice if irb tab completion worked in inf-ruby, and if
    > this could somehow be piped to emacs and ruby-mode to get real tab
    > completion in emacs.
    >
    > Does anyone have some ideas about how to go about doing this?
    >
    > I think one way might be to adapt slime to ruby. As far as I know, this
    > involves writing a swank like backend for ruby, and making some changes
    > to the emacs frontend.

    You may want to try inf-ruby-bond(http://github.com/pd/inf-ruby-bond)
    which is based on bond( http://github.com/cldwalker/bond) a much
    improved version of irb's completion.

    I don't use emacs so I can't vouch for inf-ruby-bond but I did write
    bond.

    Gabriel

    Gabriel Horner, Jul 30, 2010