interactive ruby development

Seshu Yamajala

As someone who has used lisp, emacs, and slime in the past, I get
incredible frustrated with having to write ruby code. I do not find the
language to be that bad, but the development environments just don't
compare.

My current setup is emacs, ruby-mode, and inf-ruby. I wish inf-ruby did
more. It would be nice if irb tab completion worked in inf-ruby, and if
this could somehow be piped to emacs and ruby-mode to get real tab
completion in emacs.

Does anyone have some ideas about how to go about doing this?

I think one way might be to adapt slime to ruby. As far as I know, this
involves writing a swank like backend for ruby, and making some changes
to the emacs frontend.

Roger Pack

Seshu said:
As someone who has used lisp, emacs, and slime in the past, I get
incredible frustrated with having to write ruby code. I do not find the
language to be that bad, but the development environments just don't
compare.

My current setup is emacs, ruby-mode, and inf-ruby. I wish inf-ruby did
more. It would be nice if irb tab completion worked in inf-ruby, and if
this could somehow be piped to emacs and ruby-mode to get real tab
completion in emacs.

I believe netbeans has auto-completion. Anybody else know of one?
The redcar editor has TextMate-like completion, as well.
http://redcareditor.com/

brabuhr

My current setup is emacs, ruby-mode, and inf-ruby. I wish inf-ruby did
more. It would be nice if irb tab completion worked in inf-ruby, and if
this could somehow be piped to emacs and ruby-mode to get real tab
completion in emacs.

Does anyone have some ideas about how to go about doing this?

I have never tried it, but the video was cool:

http://cx4a.org/software/rsense/index.html

Gabriel Horner

Seshu said:
As someone who has used lisp, emacs, and slime in the past, I get
incredible frustrated with having to write ruby code. I do not find the
language to be that bad, but the development environments just don't
compare.

My current setup is emacs, ruby-mode, and inf-ruby. I wish inf-ruby did
more. It would be nice if irb tab completion worked in inf-ruby, and if
this could somehow be piped to emacs and ruby-mode to get real tab
completion in emacs.

Does anyone have some ideas about how to go about doing this?

I think one way might be to adapt slime to ruby. As far as I know, this
involves writing a swank like backend for ruby, and making some changes
to the emacs frontend.

You may want to try inf-ruby-bond(http://github.com/pd/inf-ruby-bond)
which is based on bond( http://github.com/cldwalker/bond) a much
improved version of irb's completion.

I don't use emacs so I can't vouch for inf-ruby-bond but I did write
bond.

Gabriel