Interactrive Python under Cygwin in Win7

Grant Edwards

I just installed ActiveState 2.7 64-bit on a Windows 7 machine running
a current version of Cygwin. While python programs (both GUI and
text-mode) run fine, I'm unable to use Python interactively from
either the Cygwin terminal or in an ssh session. I tried adding the
"-u" option, but that makes no difference. Interactive C-Python just
hangs on startup.

Is this bug specific to ActiveState Python, or is it also present in
the vanilla C-Python build for Windows?

David Robinow

I just installed ActiveState 2.7 64-bit on a Windows 7 machine running
a current version of Cygwin. While python programs (both GUI and
text-mode) run fine, I'm unable to use Python interactively from
either the Cygwin terminal or in an ssh session. I tried adding the
"-u" option, but that makes no difference. Interactive C-Python just
hangs on startup.

Is this bug specific to ActiveState Python, or is it also present in
the vanilla C-Python build for Windows?
It's present in the "vanilla" build. I assume you're running mintty as I
do.
I just use the cygwin build for fooling around with python, and [WARNING:
hold your nose] the cmd shell when I need Windows Python.
You can also use the (old-fashioned?) cygwin.bat do start cygwin which
doesn't give you as nice a terminal but does allow you to run bash and
"/c/Python27/Python" interactively.

Another option, which I just discovered, is bash under msys. It's been a
while since I've used it so I can't remember the pro and con but you can
run an interactive Windows python.

Grant Edwards

It's present in the "vanilla" build. I assume you're running mintty
as I do.

That's what I usually run when I'm not ssh'ed in.
I just use the cygwin build for fooling around with python, and
[WARNING: hold your nose] the cmd shell when I need Windows Python.

Yea, that's what I finally fell back on. At least it has command line
recall/editing, so it could be worse. I do almost all of my
development on Linux and rarely do anything interactive under
Windows, but once in a while it would be handy.
You can also use the (old-fashioned?) cygwin.bat do start cygwin
which doesn't give you as nice a terminal but does allow you to run
bash and "/c/Python27/Python" interactively.

Another option, which I just discovered, is bash under msys. It's been a
while since I've used it so I can't remember the pro and con but you can
run an interactive Windows python.

Oh yea, I had forgotten about msys.