Intercepting data flow between 2 apps

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Richard Anderson, Feb 21, 2005.

  1. Subject: Re: Making an app return false information [was: feeding false
    anapp]
    From: Richard Anderson <>
    Newsgroups: alt.hacker

    Jona Joachim <> wrote in news:42166b9f$:

    >| You mean that his chess server has necceserilly have a hostname except
    >| the standard ip address ?
    > Nope, that's the problem. If he doesn't I think you can't use the
    > "hosts"-file method

    Well i checkes it out. It does not have a hostname, neither it gives you
    the opportunity to change to which ip address tou ish to connect. He
    programmed it in a way that an esoteric mechanism knows exaclty his
    servers ip address to connect to. :|

    That makes things even more difficult to overcome, but even more
    challengable too!

    >| All data flow passes through the firewall before travels to the

    internet
    >| and then the chess server, so in this way why cant we use the personal
    >| firewall to capture all the traveling data before allow them to fly

    over
    >| the internet?
    > Because the firewall is not meant to be used for this job and that's
    > the reason why no such feature is included.

    There must be some way though. Because the firewall is an intermediate
    between apps and net all data flow pass through it and many times
    especially Firewalls with Statefull Packet Inspection can check
    incoming/outcoming data flow to mark it as dangerous if it matches
    againast its trojan/worm/vulnerabality database against the firewalls
    database for possible data flow danger. This feature is extremely
    helpfull if a windows service that listens for communication in some port
    is vulnerable, and not SP1 or SP2 installed by the user side, so the only
    way the user is to be safe is by having a firewall thet blocks those in
    danger services (if the user knows them of course) or even better have
    the SPI personal firewall block it for him.

    I gave this example to state that if the firewall can do such a thing
    then of course can manage the bypassing data flow for an outgoing
    connection!

    Do you also agree with me?

    But if yes then how we can take advanatge of that ?!?

    The above was o thread i had in alt.hacker

    My question is can a firewall intercept tha data flow between 2
    applications, one running on localhost and one in an inetserver, so then
    we can have the on a firewall log file and finally have the chance to
    alter them?

    Thank you!

    Richard Anderson, Feb 21, 2005

  2. Richard Anderson <> wrote in

    > My question is can a firewall intercept tha data flow between 2
    > applications, one running on localhost and one in an inetserver, so
    > then we can have the on a firewall log file and finally have the
    > chance to alter them?

    *PLONK*

    Sinan

    A. Sinan Unur, Feb 21, 2005

  3. Richard Anderson

    Jay Tilton Guest

    Richard Anderson <> wrote:

    [A long, meandering tale of firewalls.]

    You have completely missed the point people were trying to make in the
    other thread: you have not yet asked a perl question.

    Once again: You have not yet asked a perl question.

    A third time, because you seem terminally obtuse:
    YOU HAVE NOT YET ASKED A PERL QUESTION.

    After you have used the packet sniffer to intercept the IP traffic,
    after you have analyzed the traffic to see what information is sent,
    after you have determined how to craft your bogus information to send in
    its place,

    _then_ you might be ready to do some programming.

    Until then, this is completely off-topic to clpm.

    Jay Tilton, Feb 22, 2005
  4. (Jay Tilton) wrote in news:421a7dbb.7617092
    @news.erols.com:

    > Richard Anderson <> wrote:
    >
    > [A long, meandering tale of firewalls.]
    >
    > You have completely missed the point people were trying to make in the
    > other thread: you have not yet asked a perl question.
    >
    > Once again: You have not yet asked a perl question.
    >
    > A third time, because you seem terminally obtuse:
    > YOU HAVE NOT YET ASKED A PERL QUESTION.
    >
    > After you have used the packet sniffer to intercept the IP traffic,
    > after you have analyzed the traffic to see what information is sent,
    > after you have determined how to craft your bogus information to send

    in
    > its place,
    >
    > _then_ you might be ready to do some programming.
    >
    > Until then, this is completely off-topic to clpm.

    Sorry that was not intentional, in fact its not a perl question but its a
    perl related somehow because after i intercept and nalyzes the ip traffic
    then i have to alter the bogus info.

    Tha would mean that i would have to opne the snifefrs specific log file
    to alter its components as i want them to be and the resubmit the whole
    damn thing in a perl manner way?

    Richard Anderson, Feb 24, 2005
  5. Richard Anderson <> wrote in

    > (Jay Tilton) wrote in news:421a7dbb.7617092
    > @news.erols.com:
    >
    >> Richard Anderson <> wrote:
    >>
    >> [A long, meandering tale of firewalls.]

    >> YOU HAVE NOT YET ASKED A PERL QUESTION.

    > Sorry that was not intentional, in fact its not a perl question but
    > its a perl related somehow because after i intercept and nalyzes the
    > ip traffic then i have to alter the bogus info.

    Your question is off-topic until you have some Perl to post.

    > Tha would mean that i would have to opne the snifefrs specific log

    Please do not post gibberish.

    Sinan.

    A. Sinan Unur, Feb 24, 2005
  6. "A. Sinan Unur" <> wrote in

    > Your question is off-topic until you have some Perl to post.

    OK, i'll perl post something as soon as i learn about perl socket
    programming but is my idea fucntional?

    I mean having the sniffers specific ip traffic logged in a.txt file and
    then alter the info i want from it and then resubmitting it where it has to
    go?

    Is this the things that my perl prog is suppose to do?

    Richard Anderson, Feb 25, 2005