intercepting keypresses, mouse movements, joystick movements.

bryan rasmussen

Hi,

I've been looking at autohotkey to do some different usability hacks
for windows http://www.autohotkey.com/
one of the benefits of this language is it allows one to catch
keyboard usage, joystick usage, and mouse usage inputs very easily at
a global level or at application levels by watching applications for
events within the applications.

I was wondering if there were any python libraries that provided
similar functionality before I went ahead with the project though.

Cheers,
Bryan Rasmussen

TheSeeker

bryan said:
Hi,

I've been looking at autohotkey to do some different usability hacks
for windows http://www.autohotkey.com/
one of the benefits of this language is it allows one to catch
keyboard usage, joystick usage, and mouse usage inputs very easily at
a global level or at application levels by watching applications for
events within the applications.

I was wondering if there were any python libraries that provided
similar functionality before I went ahead with the project though.

Cheers,
Bryan Rasmussen

You might take a look at pyHook:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=65529&package_id=92632

Jordan

Another option is to look at pywin32, which I believe has the
SetWindowsHook[Ex] commands, or to use ctypes (which is built in if
you're using python2.5) to load the neccessary dll's to use that
function. However, pyHook should be good unless you need something for
the joystick (don't think that's covered), or for detecting system or
dead keys (unless pyHook has been updated recently, the last time I
checked the docs said it didn't capture those keys).

Good Luck,
Jordan