Interest in conceptual data modeling (fact-based modeling)?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Clifford Heath, Feb 6, 2007.

  1. Folk,

    I've long been interested in fact-based data modelling, also known
    as conceptual modeling, using the technique of Object Role Modeling
    (see http://www.orm.net). An algorithm called RMap is known which
    maps an ORM model to a relational model, and is implemented in some
    existing tools - for example NORMA, an open source Visual Studio
    plugin, at <http://sourceforge.com/projects/orm>.

    The fact-based modeling process reliably creates correct database
    schemas by dealing in elementary facts, delaying and automating
    decisions about how to group those fact into tables and columns
    until the facts are verified. Because each fact is elementary, it
    can be automatically verbalised as natural-language sentences that
    read smoothly in English, which allows verification by a domain
    expert who doesn't understand the graphical language.

    Queries against the conceptual schema are more stable and simpler
    than the SQL which implements the same query, mainly because there
    are no explicit joins.

    I've commenced a Ruby project to implement (progressively over time):
    * an API to allow manipulation of an ORM model
    * an XML import tool for models from NORMA
    * a reflection tool to extract a conceptual model from a database
    * a verbalization generator (and possibly a parser)
    * the Rmap algorithm to produce an ER schema
    * a remapping process that generates database migrations dynamically
    * a conceptual query implementation that creates and executes SQL
    * various even more ambitious things I'm not publicising yet :)

    In time, this could become an viable alternative to ActiveRecord :).
    I'm convinced that this direction is the future of databases...

    In any case, I thought I'd post this brief description in a search
    for collaborators - or even just folk with whom to discuss things.

    Clifford Heath (First . Last @ gmail . com)

    Clifford Heath, Feb 6, 2007

  2. On Feb 5, 2007, at 6:35 PM, Clifford Heath wrote:

    > I've commenced a Ruby project to implement (progressively over time):
    > * an API to allow manipulation of an ORM model
    > * an XML import tool for models from NORMA
    > * a reflection tool to extract a conceptual model from a database
    > * a verbalization generator (and possibly a parser)
    > * the Rmap algorithm to produce an ER schema
    > * a remapping process that generates database migrations dynamically
    > * a conceptual query implementation that creates and executes SQL
    > * various even more ambitious things I'm not publicising yet :)

    I just wanted to say that this sounds darn cool! I can't wait to
    play with it at the very least.

    James Edward Gray II

    James Edward Gray II, Feb 6, 2007

  3. James Edward Gray II wrote:
    > I just wanted to say that this sounds darn cool! I can't wait to play
    > with it at the very least.

    Thanks for the encouragement. I guess that with nothing so far to
    offer I should not have expected more of a response. Hopefully I've
    at least inspired someone who has VS2005 Pro to install the NORMA
    plugin and see what ORM (the *original* ORM, not object relational
    mapping:)) is about. I'll let you all know more at RubyConf, or
    when I have s.t. more to offer.

    Clifford Heath.

    Clifford Heath, Feb 7, 2007