Interesting Situation - Need Modeless Window Help

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by AdamMorris, Jul 24, 2007.

  1. AdamMorris

    AdamMorris Guest

    I have a very interesting problem and can't seem to figure it out.

    Basically I'm trying to make a Training Assistant: a window that will
    guide the user through the setup process of an online app. However, I
    only have the ability to edit the front page of the system.

    I need to create a "Train Me!" button on the homepage that will open a
    modeless window. Easy enough, right? Well I need the modeless window
    to STAY there even after the user starts clicking around on links and
    navigating to other pages.

    To complicate matters, since I can't edit the other pages, I can't
    pass the modeless window any info on what page the user has navigated
    to. I need the training assistant to know what page they clicked on
    so it can help them with that.

    And finally, I can't put the app in any kind of frameset because it
    breaks for some reason.

    Any help would be extremely appreciated!!
    AdamMorris, Jul 24, 2007

  2. AdamMorris

    David Mark Guest

    On Jul 23, 7:36 pm, AdamMorris <> wrote:
    > I have a very interesting problem and can't seem to figure it out.
    >
    > Basically I'm trying to make a Training Assistant: a window that will
    > guide the user through the setup process of an online app. However, I
    > only have the ability to edit the front page of the system.
    >
    > I need to create a "Train Me!" button on the homepage that will open a
    > modeless window. Easy enough, right? Well I need the modeless window
    > to STAY there even after the user starts clicking around on links and
    > navigating to other pages.

    Why wouldn't it stay? Do you mean you want it always on top? You
    can't do that. A couple of browsers used to allow this, but
    thankfully the developers changed their minds at some point.

    > To complicate matters, since I can't edit the other pages, I can't
    > pass the modeless window any info on what page the user has navigated
    > to. I need the training assistant to know what page they clicked on
    > so it can help them with that.

    You are out of luck unless you want to constantly poll the opener for
    location changes. You could use setInterval to do that, assuming both
    pages are from the same domain.
    David Mark, Jul 24, 2007

  3. AdamMorris

    AdamMorris Guest

    > Why wouldn't it stay? Do you mean you want it always on top? You
    > can't do that. A couple of browsers used to allow this, but
    > thankfully the developers changed their minds at some point.

    I'd like to just use the IE modeless window (since the app only runs
    in IE anyway). It stays on top just fine, but when someone clicks a
    link in the main page as commanded by the training assistant, the
    assistant goes away.
    AdamMorris, Jul 24, 2007
  4. AdamMorris

    David Mark Guest

    On Jul 24, 1:24 pm, AdamMorris <> wrote:
    > > Why wouldn't it stay? Do you mean you want it always on top? You
    > > can't do that. A couple of browsers used to allow this, but
    > > thankfully the developers changed their minds at some point.

    > I'd like to just use the IE modeless window (since the app only runs

    You mean with showModelessDialog? You could just use window.open and
    then it won't go away. You could position and size the two windows so
    that they don't overlap, as I don't think the latest IE has an "always
    on top" option for popup windows.
    David Mark, Jul 24, 2007