    WebcastMaker
    Webcasting for free
    http://www.webentations.com
    WebcastMaker, Aug 21, 2004

  2. While the city slept, WebcastMaker () feverishly typed...

    > I ran across, and bought, an interesting book about web design. NOT
    > how to make the page (CSS HTML, scripting etc...), but on design
    > concepts and patterns.

    [...]

    Sounds interesting. There are any number of sites which contain useful
    information, but no concept of design. Then, of course, there are sites
    which probably do contain useful info, but you've no idea how to get to it
    because the navigation hasn't been designed well enough.

    It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who buy a home PC, realise
    it's got Frontpage on it, knock up some dreadful pages about all the cats
    they have ever owned (using all the different effects that FP offers), and
    then call themselves a Web Designer. They don't seem to realise that design
    is something that needs to be learnt. I often wonder why these same people,
    when they realise that the same PC also has Word on it, don't then call
    themselves an author!

    I like to think that I have some kind of eye for design, though I am by no
    means a designer - more of a developer (my background is in software). A
    couple of years back I started to collaborate with a talented designer which
    really opened my eyes - he came out with ideas that I would never have
    thought of. Although I do have to remind him from time to time that
    designing for the web is quite different to designing for paper! ;-)

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss
    http://www.nigenet.org.uk
    nice.guy.nige, Aug 22, 2004

  3. WebcastMaker

    Kris Guest

    In article <>,
    "nice.guy.nige" <> wrote:

    > > I ran across, and bought, an interesting book about web design. NOT
    > > how to make the page (CSS HTML, scripting etc...), but on design
    > > concepts and patterns.

    > [...]
    >
    > Sounds interesting. There are any number of sites which contain useful
    > information, but no concept of design.

    I found that <http://www.designbyfire.com/> often has useful, more global
    design-related content. The guys knows the mechanics as well. When those
    two fields come together, interesting things happen.

    --
    Kris
    <> (nl)
    Kris, Aug 22, 2004