    If anyone has done anything similair I'd be grateful for suggestions on how
    to go about this.

    Regards
    Gilbert, Jul 30, 2008

  2. Gilbert

    Daniel Pitts Guest

    Gilbert wrote:
    > I guess I'm probably pushing it here, but I've been charged with
    > web-enabling a third-party quote generation engine. The quote-generation
    > engine (it generates life insurance quotes) is a self contained windows app
    > with no obvious way of pushing data into it.
    >
    > So I guess what I'm looking for is some sort of scripting engine (rather
    > like unit testing, or a windows test suite) either Java based or that I can
    > interface with from a Java class(es) that will allow me to drive the
    > quotation engine by filling on the data entry screens on the back end
    > server and capture the results to pass back to the client.
    >
    > If anyone has done anything similair I'd be grateful for suggestions on how
    > to go about this.
    >
    > Regards

    If you have access to the source code of your windows app, you could try
    putting JNI hooks into it. If not I would suggest re-writing the
    program as a Java library. I can't imagine that the quotation engine is
    so complicated that re-creating it in Java is harder than the head-ache
    you'll get from creating (and maintaining) such a monstrosity as you've
    suggested (a web-service that interacts with a windows gui!? If you are
    forced to do this, quit while you can!)

    The other alternative is to ask the original developers for some hook
    into the app that allows you to pass data in through command line
    arguments, and get the data out in the console. at least then you have
    some flexibility. Still not ideal. My suggestion remains. Create a Java
    library that does what the program does, and then create a Servlet that
    utilizes that library.
    Daniel Pitts, Jul 31, 2008

  3. Gilbert

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 20:22:36 +0300, Gilbert
    <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
    someone who said :

    >I guess I'm probably pushing it here, but I've been charged with
    >web-enabling a third-party quote generation engine. The quote-generation
    >engine (it generates life insurance quotes) is a self contained windows app
    >with no obvious way of pushing data into it.

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/robot.html

    It might be a start.

    what can the app do? display on screen? write to a file, do a web
    query? answer a web query?

    --

    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary