    the C++-standard. What is the recommended way of getting this functionality?

    regards,
    alex

    Alexander Stippler, Feb 8, 2004

  2. Alexander Stippler

    Phlip Guest

    Alexander Stippler wrote:

    > I want to visualize numerical results with gnuplot. The easiest way would

    be
    > use a pipe to gnuplot. But I want to be platform independent, just relying
    > on
    > the C++-standard. What is the recommended way of getting this

    functionality?

    The C++ Standard does not mention GNUplot. This is obviously just an
    oversight - expect ISO to fix it soon.

    But until then, rely on this recent post: "I found gnuplot is really nice.
    There are some c/c++ interfaces, through which gunplot command could be sent
    from c/c++ program. --phony"

    Since advising phony to use GNUplot, I also advised him to switch to Python
    and use BLT (under PythonMegaWidgets). These systems are (almost) as
    portable as C++, but they don't have C++'s issues with exposed plumbing. And
    BLT provides interactive hooks so you can supply drill-down, pans, zooms,
    etc.

    Again: Why are you using C++?

    --
    Phlip

    Phlip, Feb 8, 2004

  3. "Alexander Stippler" <-ulm.de> wrote...
    > I want to visualize numerical results with gnuplot. The easiest way would

    be
    > use a pipe to gnuplot. But I want to be platform independent, just relying
    > on
    > the C++-standard. What is the recommended way of getting this

    functionality?

    There is none.

    You have an option of writing your gnuplot commands into a file
    and then use 'system' function to run gnuplot, but the contents
    of the string you pass to 'system' has got to be system-specific.
    So, no truly system-independent way.

    Victor Bazarov, Feb 8, 2004
  4. Alexander Stippler wrote:

    > I want to visualize numerical results with gnuplot.
    > The easiest way would be to use a pipe to gnuplot.
    > But I want to be platform independent,
    > just relying on the C++-standard.
    > What is the recommended way of getting this functionality?

    I used Google

    http://www.google.com/

    to search for

    +"gnuplot interface" +"C++"

    and I found lots of stuff. This one

    http://ndevilla.free.fr/gnuplot/

    just happened to appear at the top of the list.

    E. Robert Tisdale, Feb 8, 2004
  5. Alexander Stippler

    Evan Carew Guest

    E. Robert Tisdale wrote:
    > Alexander Stippler wrote:
    >
    >> I want to visualize numerical results with gnuplot.
    >> The easiest way would be to use a pipe to gnuplot.
    >> But I want to be platform independent,
    >> just relying on the C++-standard.
    >> What is the recommended way of getting this functionality?

    > I used Google
    >
    > http://www.google.com/
    >
    > to search for
    >
    > +"gnuplot interface" +"C++"
    >
    > and I found lots of stuff. This one
    >
    > http://ndevilla.free.fr/gnuplot/
    >
    > just happened to appear at the top of the list.

    The above links look good, however, its worth noting that the C++
    library (as well as other language libraries which use gnuplot, all
    depend on the presence of POSIX threads in the underlying OS.

    Evan Carew, Feb 9, 2004