Interlock and stall in CPU design?

Davy

Hi all,

I am new to CPU design and confused with two CPU term. That is
interlock and stall. What's their difference? Does interlock and stall
all do insert NOP and remove the data dependency?

I have copied a sentence from a CPU document "The interlock is
responsible for detecting read-after-write hazards and stalling the
pipeline until the hazard has been resolved. This avoids the need to
insert nop directives between dependent instructions, thus keeping code
size to a minimum, as well as simplifying assembler-level programming."

Best regards,
Davy

Jon Beniston

Hi,
I am new to CPU design and confused with two CPU term. That is
interlock and stall. What's their difference? Does interlock and stall
all do insert NOP and remove the data dependency?

I have copied a sentence from a CPU document "The interlock is
responsible for detecting read-after-write hazards and stalling the
pipeline until the hazard has been resolved. This avoids the need to
insert nop directives between dependent instructions, thus keeping code
size to a minimum, as well as simplifying assembler-level programming."

In this use, interlock is refering the logic that tracks dependencies
between instructions, and then stalls (pauses the pipeline from the
decode stage backwards) when a dependency is detected that cannot be
resolved by bypassing.

There are other causes of stall that are not related to the interlock,
such as stalls that occur on cache misses.

Cheers,
Jon

Ben Jones

Hi Davy,

Davy said:
Hi all,

I am new to CPU design and confused with two CPU term. That is
interlock and stall. What's their difference? Does interlock and stall
all do insert NOP and remove the data dependency?

The data dependency is a property of the program being executed, and is
never "removed" except by maybe changing the program.

In a machine where each instruction completes before the following
instruction starts, data dependencies don't cause any problems. However,
when a machine is pipelined, data dependencies and anti-dependencies can
lead to "hazards".

An interlock circuit detects these hazards. An interlock circuit may stall
one or more stages of the processor pipeline, often introducing a NOP-like
"bubble", to avoid the hazard and ensure correct program execution.

Note that there are other ways to manage hazards that do not involve an
interlock circuit, and that stalling the processor is only the simplest,
most basic way to avoid hazards. You may wish to read Hennessy and Patterson
for a proper description of more advanced techniques.

Cheers,

-Ben-

JoshforRefugee

Hi Davy,
Interlock in this case refers to 'dependencies solver'. It might be a
simple stall logic or could be register renaming logic

Yao Qi

Davy said:
Hi all,

I am new to CPU design and confused with two CPU term. That is
interlock and stall. What's their difference? Does interlock and stall
all do insert NOP and remove the data dependency?

I am not a CPU guru, and here are some my cents. Hope they are useful.

1. "stall" is a term for pipeline, and "interlock" is a method to
"stall" pipeline.

2. Both interlock and stall DO NOT insert NOP. It is the work done by
compiler. Compiler could insert some NOPs in executable to avoid data hazard.
I have copied a sentence from a CPU document "The interlock is
responsible for detecting read-after-write hazards and stalling the
pipeline until the hazard has been resolved. This avoids the need to
insert nop directives between dependent instructions, thus keeping code
size to a minimum, as well as simplifying assembler-level
programming."

Interlock logic could lock the pipeline when data hazard is detected to
make sure the right result. So, compiler or assembler do not insert
NOPs to avoid hazard, so that code size is minimized.