intermediate python csv reader/writer question from a beginner

Discussion in 'Python' started by Learning Python, Feb 23, 2009.

  1. anything related to csv, I usually use VB within excel to manipulate
    the data, nonetheless, i finally got the courage to take a dive into
    python. i have viewed a lot of googled csv tutorials, but none of
    them address everything i need. Nonetheless, I was wondering if
    someone can help me manipulate the sample csv (sample.csv) I have
    generated:

    ,,
    someinfo,,,,,,,
    somotherinfo,,,,,,,
    SEQ,Names,Test1,Test2,Date,Time,,
    1,Adam,1,2,Monday,1:00 PM,,
    2,Bob,3,4,Monday,1:00 PM,,
    3,Charlie,5,6,Monday,1:00 PM,,
    4,Adam,7,8,Monday,2:00 PM,,
    5,Bob,9,10,Monday,2:00 PM,,
    6,Charlie,11,12,Monday,2:00 PM,,
    7,Adam,13,14,Tuesday,1:00 PM,,
    8,Bob,15,16,Tuesday,1:00 PM,,
    9,Charlie,17,18,Tuesday,1:00 PM,,

    into (newfile.csv):

    Adam-Test1,Adam-Test2,Bob-Test1,Bob-Test2,Charlie-Test1,Charlie-
    Test2,Date,Time
    1,2,3,4,5,6,Monday,1:00 PM
    7,8,9,10,11,12,Monday,2:00 PM
    13,14,15,16,17,18,Tuesday,1:00 PM

    note:
    1. the true header doesn't start line 4 (if this is the case would i
    have to use "split"?)
    2. if there were SEQ#10-12, or 13-15, it would still be Adam, Bob,
    Charlie, but with different Test1/Test2/Date/Time

    Learning Python, Feb 23, 2009

  2. Learning Python

    Chris Rebert Guest

    On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 1:33 PM, Learning Python <> wrote:
    > anything related to csv, I usually use VB within excel to manipulate
    > the data, nonetheless, i finally got the courage to take a dive into
    > python. i have viewed a lot of googled csv tutorials, but none of
    > them address everything i need. Nonetheless, I was wondering if
    > someone can help me manipulate the sample csv (sample.csv) I have
    > generated:

    For reading and writing CSV files, see the `csv` module in the
    standard library (http://docs.python.org/library/csv.html).

    Cheers,
    Chris

    --