Intermediate Python user needed help

Steven D'Aprano

These are not the errors an intermediate user would make, nor the
questions an intermediate user would ask. These are the errors that
somebody who doesn't know Python would make.
P.S. The scale I am accustomed to is Novice -> Intermediate -> Advanced
-> Master

Are there scales out there that would put these types of questions in
the "intermediate" category?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

Or to put it another way:

http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/359ofp/
http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3q8648/

Jugurtha Hadjar

NameError: name 'start' is not defined

anyone know how to make start defined

Maybe rename it "defined_start" ;)

I wonder how someone can get to the point of writing more than 76 lines
of code while not only still making this kind of errors, but not even
knowing what these errors mean and how to correct them. It's impossible.
You can't write programs that are more than 10 lines without having
encountered these errors and learnt how to deal with them.

Unless you're reading exercises from a book, and feeling that you're
"intermediate", you started reading from chapter 28 in a 29 chapters book.

rusi

Maybe rename it "defined_start" ;)

I wonder how someone can get to the point of writing more than 76 lines
of code while not only still making this kind of errors, but not even
knowing what these errors mean and how to correct them. It's impossible.
You can't write programs that are more than 10 lines without having
encountered these errors and learnt how to deal with them.

Unless you're reading exercises from a book, and feeling that you're
"intermediate", you started reading from chapter 28 in a 29 chapters book..

If you've ever taught programming in a formal teaching setup, you
would not be surprised when students submit C 'projects' that wont
even compile (leave aside segfault).

On a more personal note, the first program I wrote was in Cobol. I
got only 350 errors before the compiler copped out. It was a bit
traumatic. Later on I found I forgot to write
PROCEDURE DIVISION.

So its good to remember how spoilt we are on python that we can test
out 10 lines at a time.

John Mordecai Dildy

Surely we can rise above mere "pluses" and rank using "stars" (*) --

a four-star Pythoneer (or whatever the preferred term is)?

--

Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN

(e-mail address removed) HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/

No matter what level you are in python you will still make mistakes every once in a while but if your like a expert you just notice it faster

Dennis Lee Bieber

On a more personal note, the first program I wrote was in Cobol. I
got only 350 errors before the compiler copped out. It was a bit
traumatic. Later on I found I forgot to write
PROCEDURE DIVISION.
At least you didn't do what some girl did at my college... The
compiler listing got posted outside the computer room as a record for
compiler errors...

She'd fed the OBJECT file to the COBOL compiler as the source.