Intermittent problem - with IIS or dotnet or?

Blasting Cap

We have a production web server with several dotnet apps open to the public.

It's Windows 2003, all current service packs, Dotnet Framework 1.1 on
the server.

Occasionally, we have found one page a .aspx page - had the form tags
moved around on it. We're not sure what caused it, but putting out the
..aspx page and the dll file fixed the problem.

Subsequently, we've had the app - a warranty card program - that writes
data to a SQL database. At times, the app just quits working.

We use some javascript to validate items on the form when the submit
button is clicked. It then writes the fields to the database. The
javascript always works, but at times it will not write anything to the
database at all.

We're not getting any messages in the event log, and the server itself
is stable.

Any ideas as to what is happening here? Or even where to start looking?

BC

Jeff Cochran

[...]

It's not IIS so stop crossposting to that group. And if text is
moving around in the code file (you say form tags, which may not mean
you're looking at the .aspx code but rather the output HTML...) then
it's not anything in the framework.

Jeff

Chris Crowe [MVP 1997 -> 2006]

1) Rewriting form tags - sounds like a programmer changed it - IIS and .NET
do not change your source code - loading and saving (with no editing) in
front page by change your source code!
2) What does the App just quits working mean?
3) Is the Database a SQL Server database? if so have you created a SQL
profile to capture the traffic? or if the SQL DB is on another computer you
could use a packet sniffer to see the communication between the IIS Server
and the database server.

If it is a MS Access DB then you should check that you are catching errors
in your code.

You can hide errors by having a try..catch block that hides the error
further back in your logic.

--

Cheers

Chris Crowe [IIS MVP 1997 -> 2006]