Internal ASP.Net error bubbling events

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?RGFsZQ==?=, Apr 11, 2006.

  1. I have an application that, on my development PC and in production, throws
    unexpected null reference exceptions when returning from the click event
    handler of a button. The only fix is to do an IISReset or to reboot the
    server. This is obviously not acceptable in production.

    The call stack shows non-user code, and my code works most of the time, so I
    have to assume it is internal to ASP.Net. The exception never occurs in the
    hander, only upon exiting the handler. The only way to catch the exception
    is in the Application_Error method in Global.asax.

    The stack trace is:

    StackTrace: " at System.Web.UI.Control.OnBubbleEvent(Object source,
    EventArgs args) at System.Web.UI.Control.RaiseBubbleEvent(Object source,
    EventArgs args) at
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnCommand(CommandEventArgs e) at
    eventArgument) at System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler
    sourceControl, String eventArgument) at
    System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) at
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain()"

    Thanks
    --
    Dale Preston
    MCAD C#

    =?Utf-8?B?RGFsZQ==?=, Apr 11, 2006

  2. Hi Dale,

    Welcome to the ASP.NET newsgroup.

    As for the problem you mentioned, it does like something incorrect in the
    ASP.NET runtime's event processing. However, I still think it we should
    isolate the problem to see whether it is page or environment specific.
    Since you mentioned that the problem can be catched through the
    Application_Error event, can you also catch it through the page's
    Page_Error event?

    Also, it'll be better if you can use a simplified page (or in a new created
    project) to reproduce this behavior. That can let us concencrate on
    isolated code logic.

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Community Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Apr 12, 2006

  3. Thank you, those are both excellent suggestions. Unfortunately, the problem
    is very intermittent and not reproducable at will. I will prepare the code
    for a test and when it occurs again, I will attempt to test those suggestions.

    Thanks,
    --
    Dale Preston
    MCAD C#

    =?Utf-8?B?RGFsZQ==?=, Apr 13, 2006
  4. Thanks for your response Dale,

    Glad to be of assistance. If there is any new update, please feel free to
    post here.

    Good luck!

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Apr 14, 2006