INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR C1001: msc1.cpp (line 1794) error at every std include file: stdio.h, window

Discussion in 'C++' started by paul calvert, Oct 10, 2003.

  1. paul calvert

    paul calvert Guest

    I hope somewhere here has encountered and solved a similar problem in
    the past.

    1) on a new Win2000 PC:

    installed Visual C++ 6.0
    download & install single file Service Pack 5.0

    2) try to build my gui and dll projects, whose project, workspace,
    source files all resided on network drive mapped to H. The H mapping,
    service packs, etc are all identical to a lab setup. The lab setup
    builds no problems (Debug target). Lab setup is on Win NT 4.00.1381.
    Build on Win2000 machine gave:

    "INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR C1001: msc1.cpp (line 1794) error" at every
    std include file: stdio.h, windows.h, ansi_c.h, etc

    Went to a 3rd Pc--another NT4.0 The INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR C1001:
    msc1.cpp (line 1794) error did not appear. Hmmm---is it a Win2000
    problem?

    3) ran Windows update on Win2000 machine: installed many patches (10
    hrs worth) and the latest service pack 4.

    4) after the OS updates, the gui then would build--just like the lab
    NT machine. (debug mode) The INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR C1001: msc1.cpp
    (line 1794) error disappeared. Pure magic.

    5) started monkeying with project settings. By happen-stance, I
    changed from Debug to Release configuration. After which, the internal
    Compiler errors disappeared and then started getting linker errors on
    some 3rd party lib calls

    7) I copied the debug settings to the release settings manually. This
    included:

    under the link tab: change Input-> to ignore "libc". I don't know
    what/why this was even in debug settings, but without it I got errors.
    under the link tab: change General-> cut/pasted the 3rd party
    libraries string from debug configuration
    under the link tab: change General-> checked the 'Generate debug',
    'Link incrementally', 'Generate mapfile' options

    As best I can determine now the debug/release configuration options
    are the same. Rebuilt with release mode set to active: Seems to build
    OK now. NOTE: I have NO idea if the actual generated code actually
    runs yet because of required target hardware availability (Hope to
    find out soon). HOWEVER, even though the debug/release modes are now
    seemingly identical in options, the compiler still pukes out the
    "INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR C1001: msc1.cpp (line 1794) error" when the
    project set configuration is "Debug". What can I conclude?

    1) there seems to be several OS related issued with Win2000 and Visual
    C++ 6.0 SP5. Perhaps someone else has already encountered/solved this
    problem??

    2) these bugs may be tied to the project options and Debug/Release
    settings

    3) the "INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR C1001: msc1.cpp (line 1794)" error is
    apparently a frequent occurrence which Microsoft claims to have fixed
    in the .net version. Note that Microsoft's bug tracking, points to
    several possible causes for the error--none of which applied in my
    situation. I found hundreds of website references of others having the
    same problem and they had varying degrees of luck in solving it.
    Unfortunately, most of these did not make any reference to the OS they
    were running. Several folks indicated they switched to .net or Borland
    because the problem couldn't be fixed and/or Microsoft refused to fix
    with a service pack. Note that I am not using or generating any
    pre-compiled headers-- the supposed usual cause of such an error.

    4)I saw some references that indicated this type problem was
    eliminated on 7.0--but not from Microsoft. Their website only
    explicitly stated this for the .net version. Is this accurate?

    This is exceedingly frustrating and I still have no idea about the
    real cause or a real solution to the problem. I have merely stumbled
    upon a hopefully functional work-around to the problem. I still want
    to try the build on a fresh NT machine and see if any problems are
    encountered at all.

    If you have any light to shed... please.

    Thanks,

    Paul

    paul calvert, Oct 10, 2003

  2. paul calvert

    WW Guest

    paul calvert wrote:
    > I hope somewhere here has encountered and solved a similar problem in
    > the past.
    >
    > 1) on a new Win2000 PC:
    >
    > installed Visual C++ 6.0
    > download & install single file Service Pack 5.0
    >
    > 2) try to build my gui and dll projects, whose project, workspace,
    > source files all resided on network drive mapped to H. The H mapping,
    > service packs, etc are all identical to a lab setup. The lab setup
    > builds no problems (Debug target). Lab setup is on Win NT 4.00.1381.
    > Build on Win2000 machine gave:
    >
    > "INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR C1001: msc1.cpp (line 1794) error" at every
    > std include file: stdio.h, windows.h, ansi_c.h, etc

    WW aka Attila

    WW, Oct 10, 2003

  3. paul calvert

    bo Guest

    I'm not sure exactly what the problem with my org post was, but I
    re-posted to comp.os.ms-windows.tools and .tools.misc. Sorry if my
    org post ruffled your feathers.

    Serbus,

    Paul

    bo, Oct 13, 2003
  4. paul calvert

    Ron Ruble Guest

    "bo" <> wrote in message news:...
    > I'm not sure exactly what the problem with my org post was, but I
    > re-posted to comp.os.ms-windows.tools and .tools.misc. Sorry if my
    > org post ruffled your feathers.

    No ruffled feathers. The problem is your question had
    nothing to do with the C++ -language-. It had to do with
    a very compiler-specific error, and compiler-specific
    behavior is not what this groups is about.

    From the FAQ link referenced:

    "Only post to comp.lang.c++ if your question is
    about the C++ language itself"

    Your question was not about the language. No harm
    done; just something to be aware of for future questions.

    Ron Ruble, Oct 13, 2003
  5. paul calvert

    WW Guest

    bo wrote:
    >> http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/how-to-post.html#faq-5.9

    > I'm not sure exactly what the problem with my org post was, but I
    > re-posted to comp.os.ms-windows.tools and .tools.misc. Sorry if my
    > org post ruffled your feathers.

    Top-posting, rearranged.

    http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/how-to-post.html#faq-5.4

    I really wonder that from that one line (pointing you to a place which tells
    you which is the right newsgroup to post your question to) how was it
    possible to deduce that feathers has been ruffled ... or anything more than
    the fact that your post had nothing to do with the C++ language so you have
    been redirected. I am sorry, but I am really too dumb to follow that
    thinking. :)

    --
    WW aka Attila

    WW, Oct 13, 2003
  6. paul calvert

    bo Guest

    I did not deduce that feathers were ruffled--I was just trying to be
    nice by saying "IF" :) . In any case, after posting to the groups
    suggested--no response there either. I guess I had false hope that a
    more heavily used newsgroup would be more likely to cross paths with
    someone encountering the problem even though the topic was not a C++
    question per se. Is there a better group to post the question to?

    Thanks,

    Paul

    bo, Oct 14, 2003
  7. paul calvert

    WW Guest

    bo wrote:
    > I did not deduce that feathers were ruffled--I was just trying to be
    > nice by saying "IF" :) . In any case, after posting to the groups
    > suggested--no response there either. I guess I had false hope that a
    > more heavily used newsgroup would be more likely to cross paths with
    > someone encountering the problem even though the topic was not a C++
    > question per se. Is there a better group to post the question to?

    The billion Microsoft newsgroups on the Microsoft server.

    --
    WW aka Attila

    WW, Oct 14, 2003