Internal linking

Discussion in 'HTML' started by dorayme, Aug 22, 2007.

  1. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    Safari does not happily negotiate

    http://tinyurl.com/24y5hp

    iCab is quite simply brilliant, FF is fine. I don't know about
    IE6 and 7, Mac IE is fine too.

    I was surprised by Safari, make the window not too big and see
    how it fails to show some of the links. At least on my machine it
    does not with some of the links.

    What is brilliant about iCab is that it gently flashes
    translucent pale blue on the row wanted. Its very own built in
    highlighter! Fancy the creators of iCab thinking of this (If all
    browsers did this, I would not be seeking help in another thread
    about this matter).

    Is there something wrong with my code here that Safari is picking
    up on? I can remove the underscores, I already changed from "-"
    to "_" in case. How robust is it it in other browsers please.

    And finally, it does not appear to me very reliable if you just
    type or copy and paste a url#... into some browsers address
    fields hoping to get to the item concerned. Mac IE refuses to
    budge at all on this one. Safari is no good either. Opera was
    good, FF good... Other browsers perform variably. I am a bit
    curious about all this stuff. I thought all this was rock solid.

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, Aug 22, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. On 2007-08-22 12:15:59 +0200, dorayme <> said:

    > Safari does not happily negotiate
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/24y5hp
    >
    > iCab is quite simply brilliant, FF is fine. I don't know about
    > IE6 and 7, Mac IE is fine too.
    >
    > I was surprised by Safari, make the window not too big and see
    > how it fails to show some of the links. At least on my machine it
    > does not with some of the links.
    >
    > What is brilliant about iCab is that it gently flashes
    > translucent pale blue on the row wanted. Its very own built in
    > highlighter! Fancy the creators of iCab thinking of this...


    Creator. The fact that there is just one of him and he does what he
    wants, without having to worry about what some executive superiors
    think, explains a lot of the brilliance.
    --
    athel
     
    Athel Cornish-Bowden, Aug 22, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Athel Cornish-Bowden <> wrote:

    > On 2007-08-22 12:15:59 +0200, dorayme <> said:
    >
    > > Safari does not happily negotiate
    > >
    > > http://tinyurl.com/24y5hp
    > >
    > > iCab is quite simply brilliant, FF is fine. I don't know about
    > > IE6 and 7, Mac IE is fine too.
    > >
    > > I was surprised by Safari, make the window not too big and see
    > > how it fails to show some of the links. At least on my machine it
    > > does not with some of the links.
    > >
    > > What is brilliant about iCab is that it gently flashes
    > > translucent pale blue on the row wanted. Its very own built in
    > > highlighter! Fancy the creators of iCab thinking of this...

    >
    > Creator. The fact that there is just one of him and he does what he
    > wants, without having to worry about what some executive superiors
    > think, explains a lot of the brilliance.


    I did have the singular originally and that sounded too knowing
    so I put the plural to keep my modest image here. <g>

    Seriously, I have written on a couple of issues to Alexander
    Klauss and he is always very sharp. I suspected he was the only
    one but not completely sure there were not others involved in the
    particular matter I referred to.

    OK, now, this out of the way, you likely have a Mac. So how about
    confirming or giving me your observations about Safari please n
    respect of above.

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, Aug 22, 2007
    #3
  4. In article
    <>,
    dorayme <> wrote:

    > Safari does not happily negotiate
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/24y5hp
    >
    > iCab is quite simply brilliant, FF is fine. I don't know about
    > IE6 and 7, Mac IE is fine too.
    >
    > I was surprised by Safari, make the window not too big and see
    > how it fails to show some of the links. At least on my machine it
    > does not with some of the links.
    >
    > Is there something wrong with my code here that Safari is picking
    > up on? I can remove the underscores, I already changed from "-"
    > to "_" in case. How robust is it it in other browsers please.


    Some notes...
    - I see nothing wrong with your code so Safari is misbehaving here
    AFAICT.
    - If I move the id from a TR to a TD, Safari is suddenly able to
    navigate to the correct row.
    - I'm using Safari 1.3.2 under OS 10.3.9
    - FF 1.5 seems to have trouble navigating to the exact row; the trouble
    goes away if I add this:
    table, td,th,tr { border-collapse: collapse; }
    - Adding this to the bottom of the page made debugging easier because I
    could see whether or not the browser scrolled to the correct row without
    being limited by the end of the page
    <p style='padding: 30em 1em 30em 1em;'>lksdfjg</p>


    HTH

    --
    Philip
    http://NikitaTheSpider.com/
    Whole-site HTML validation, link checking and more
     
    Nikita the Spider, Aug 22, 2007
    #4
  5. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Nikita the Spider <> wrote:

    > In article
    > <>,
    > dorayme <> wrote:
    >
    > > Safari does not happily negotiate
    > >
    > > http://tinyurl.com/24y5hp
    > >
    > > iCab is quite simply brilliant, FF is fine. I don't know about
    > > IE6 and 7, Mac IE is fine too.
    > >
    > > I was surprised by Safari, make the window not too big and see
    > > how it fails to show some of the links. At least on my machine it
    > > does not with some of the links.
    > >
    > > Is there something wrong with my code here that Safari is picking
    > > up on? I can remove the underscores, I already changed from "-"
    > > to "_" in case. How robust is it it in other browsers please.

    >
    > Some notes...
    > - I see nothing wrong with your code so Safari is misbehaving here
    > AFAICT.
    > - If I move the id from a TR to a TD, Safari is suddenly able to
    > navigate to the correct row.
    > - I'm using Safari 1.3.2 under OS 10.3.9
    > - FF 1.5 seems to have trouble navigating to the exact row; the trouble
    > goes away if I add this:
    > table, td,th,tr { border-collapse: collapse; }
    > - Adding this to the bottom of the page made debugging easier because I
    > could see whether or not the browser scrolled to the correct row without
    > being limited by the end of the page
    > <p style='padding: 30em 1em 30em 1em;'>lksdfjg</p>
    >


    Thanks so much for this info. I have FF 2 and it seemed fine in
    that, I did not suspect about earlier builds.

    When you moved the id to td, I assume it was fine for all the
    other browsers too.

    I _was_ going to fiddle about and try the id in different places.
    I already messed about a bit on other things and thought I better
    stop!

    There seems to be a bit of an instability in all of this, no?
    Souns like it is a complicated business for a browser to find a
    unique id. Wonder if all this works better without a table at
    all to confuse with rows and borders? Also if the older fashioned
    name="" instead of or in addition to the id="" might help? Need
    to get this business reasonably right.

    There is another little issue, an important one for me, don't
    know if you know stuff about this, when you open a browser,
    fresh, and you type or paste or insert a bookmark with the base
    address with #alpha_numeric, some browsers are happy and go to
    the right place immediately while others do not (I know Mac IE
    does not, it just ignores the appended bit but still gets the
    page. And behaves itself in negotiating the internal links!) not
    that this is important).

    [btw. A very simple rock steady alternative for the job this is
    destined for would have been, instead of a table of 100 rows, 100
    simple html pages, each with the info that was in each row (and
    perhaps a php included index to all the pages on each page! In
    fact, the job would have been finished by me already. The things
    we do for a bit of elegance! Perhaps I will persist a while
    longer though. At least it is instructive and somewhat
    interesting.]

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, Aug 23, 2007
    #5
  6. In article
    <>,
    dorayme <> wrote:

    > In article
    > <>,
    > Nikita the Spider <> wrote:
    >
    > > - FF 1.5 seems to have trouble navigating to the exact row; the trouble
    > > goes away if I add this:
    > > table, td,th,tr { border-collapse: collapse; }


    > Thanks so much for this info. I have FF 2 and it seemed fine in
    > that, I did not suspect about earlier builds.


    Ooops, I retract my statement. I see I was just getting confused by the
    fact that the page isn't very tall, so except for the top 2 or 3 ids, FF
    can't scroll the page far enough to reach the other ids. (On my laptop,
    anyway.) Making my font size huge makes the page taller and shows me
    that FF 1.5 does indeed scroll to the correct point in the page. My
    mistake.


    > When you moved the id to td, I assume it was fine for all the
    > other browsers too.


    I only tested it in Safari. Testing it in the other browsers is your
    job. =)

    > There seems to be a bit of an instability in all of this, no?
    > Souns like it is a complicated business for a browser to find a
    > unique id. Wonder if all this works better without a table at
    > all to confuse with rows and borders? Also if the older fashioned
    > name="" instead of or in addition to the id="" might help? Need
    > to get this business reasonably right.


    Try it! I don't see any reason why Safari should fail to respect an id
    on a TR. Perhaps there's a good reason backed up by a spec, perhaps it's
    a bug.

    > There is another little issue, an important one for me, don't
    > know if you know stuff about this, when you open a browser,
    > fresh, and you type or paste or insert a bookmark with the base
    > address with #alpha_numeric, some browsers are happy and go to
    > the right place immediately while others do not (I know Mac IE
    > does not, it just ignores the appended bit but still gets the
    > page. And behaves itself in negotiating the internal links!) not
    > that this is important).


    You say, "some browsers are happy..." Care to narrow down the
    definition of "some browsers"? That seems important. And I don't think
    anyone will complain about you not supporting IE/Mac, unless you have an
    unusual client base.


    > [btw. A very simple rock steady alternative for the job this is
    > destined for would have been, instead of a table of 100 rows, 100
    > simple html pages, each with the info that was in each row (and
    > perhaps a php included index to all the pages on each page! In
    > fact, the job would have been finished by me already. The things
    > we do for a bit of elegance! Perhaps I will persist a while
    > longer though. At least it is instructive and somewhat
    > interesting.]


    Elegance is its own reward.

    --
    Philip
    http://NikitaTheSpider.com/
    Whole-site HTML validation, link checking and more
     
    Nikita the Spider, Aug 23, 2007
    #6
  7. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Nikita the Spider <> wrote:

    > In article
    > <>,
    > dorayme <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article
    > > <>,
    > > Nikita the Spider <> wrote:

    >
    > > When you moved the id to td, I assume it was fine for all the
    > > other browsers too.

    >
    > I only tested it in Safari. Testing it in the other browsers is your
    > job. =)
    >


    Damn, you saw through me!

    > > There seems to be a bit of an instability in all of this, no?
    > > Sounds like it is a complicated business for a browser to find a
    > > unique id. Wonder if all this works better without a table at
    > > all to confuse with rows and borders? Also if the older fashioned
    > > name="" instead of or in addition to the id="" might help? Need
    > > to get this business reasonably right.

    >
    > Try it! I don't see any reason why Safari should fail to respect an id
    > on a TR. Perhaps there's a good reason backed up by a spec, perhaps it's
    > a bug.


    I will. But I can confirm that Safari is happy to find the td
    with the id and so my other browsers are as happy. Win IE 6 seems
    happy too. Thanks for this Spider.

    > > There is another little issue, an important one for me, don't
    > > know if you know stuff about this, when you open a browser,
    > > fresh, and you type or paste or insert a bookmark with the base
    > > address with #alpha_numeric, some browsers are happy and go to
    > > the right place immediately while others do not (I know Mac IE
    > > does not, it just ignores the appended bit but still gets the
    > > page. And behaves itself in negotiating the internal links!) not
    > > that this is important).

    >
    > You say, "some browsers are happy..." Care to narrow down the
    > definition of "some browsers"? That seems important. And I don't think
    > anyone will complain about you not supporting IE/Mac, unless you have an
    > unusual client base.
    >


    Well, Safari was not happy but that was perhaps because of the
    row issue. Opera was happy, iCab was, FF was. I better wait till
    I say anything further.

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, Aug 23, 2007
    #7
  8. dorayme

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 22 Aug 2007 10:15:59
    GMT dorayme scribed:

    > Safari does not happily negotiate
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/24y5hp
    >
    > iCab is quite simply brilliant, FF is fine. I don't know about
    > IE6 and 7, Mac IE is fine too.
    >
    > I was surprised by Safari, make the window not too big and see
    > how it fails to show some of the links. At least on my machine it
    > does not with some of the links.
    >
    > What is brilliant about iCab is that it gently flashes
    > translucent pale blue on the row wanted. Its very own built in
    > highlighter! Fancy the creators of iCab thinking of this (If all
    > browsers did this, I would not be seeking help in another thread
    > about this matter).
    >
    > Is there something wrong with my code here that Safari is picking
    > up on? I can remove the underscores, I already changed from "-"
    > to "_" in case. How robust is it it in other browsers please.
    >
    > And finally, it does not appear to me very reliable if you just
    > type or copy and paste a url#... into some browsers address
    > fields hoping to get to the item concerned. Mac IE refuses to
    > budge at all on this one. Safari is no good either. Opera was
    > good, FF good... Other browsers perform variably. I am a bit
    > curious about all this stuff. I thought all this was rock solid.


    I'm confused. Are you just trying to get the row to scroll to the top
    when you click on the correct upper internal link? If so, it worked for
    me in ie6/ie7/ff2.0.0.6/op9.23. I didn't get no highlighting, though.
    And why is your source code completely unformatted? It looks like sh**.

    Btw, the real links are all dead. The least you could do is give the
    testers some artwork packages for all their troubles.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Half lies are worth twice as much as whole lies.
     
    Neredbojias, Aug 23, 2007
    #8
  9. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <Xns9995EBC3C1F0nanopandaneredbojias@198.186.190.161>,
    Neredbojias <> wrote:

    > Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 22 Aug 2007 10:15:59
    > GMT dorayme scribed:
    >
    > > Safari does not happily negotiate
    > >
    > > http://tinyurl.com/24y5hp
    > >
    > > iCab is quite simply brilliant, FF is fine. I don't know about
    > > IE6 and 7, Mac IE is fine too.


    > I'm confused. Are you just trying to get the row to scroll to the top
    > when you click on the correct upper internal link?


    Now that would be nice, sure. But it does not happen in all
    browsers under all conditions.

    > And why is your source code completely unformatted? It looks like sh**.


    You are right Boji. But it looks nice on my own machine. In fact
    I get to cry at its sheer beauty all the time. I have to take
    salt tablets to make up.

    I have asked about this before, only now and then I get this
    problem and have few clues as to why?

    I use BBEdit. What should I do to make it look like it is in my
    editor? I have tried various things and I do not know well the
    actual levers to pull. I have followed instructions about other
    things to good effect on BBEdit but this matter, which you have
    identified, rears its ugly head every now and then.


    > Btw, the real links are all dead. The least you could do is give the
    > testers some artwork packages for all their troubles.


    You can send me an email and I will give you the address of the
    actual site and you can see some of the stuff if you are
    interested. It is not that exciting. But one must earn a
    living... It is not anything you would work up a sweat about. I
    know you. You have a filthy mind. My work is clean and wholesome.
    You would fall asleep. <g>

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, Aug 23, 2007
    #9
  10. On 2007-08-22 22:56:47 +0200, dorayme <> said:

    > In article <>,
    > Athel Cornish-Bowden <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 2007-08-22 12:15:59 +0200, dorayme <> said:
    >>
    >>> Safari does not happily negotiate
    >>>
    >>> http://tinyurl.com/24y5hp
    >>>
    >>> iCab is quite simply brilliant, FF is fine. I don't know about
    >>> IE6 and 7, Mac IE is fine too.
    >>>
    >>> I was surprised by Safari, make the window not too big and see
    >>> how it fails to show some of the links.


    [ ... ]

    > OK, now, this out of the way, you likely have a Mac. So how about
    > confirming or giving me your observations about Safari please n
    > respect of above.


    I'd be glad to do so, but your URL gives a 404 error today (both on
    Safari and on iCab) though it worked yesterday. Have you moved the test
    page?

    --
    athel
     
    Athel Cornish-Bowden, Aug 23, 2007
    #10
  11. dorayme

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 23 Aug 2007 09:07:01 GMT
    dorayme scribed:

    >> > http://tinyurl.com/24y5hp
    >> >
    >> > iCab is quite simply brilliant, FF is fine. I don't know about
    >> > IE6 and 7, Mac IE is fine too.

    >
    >> I'm confused. Are you just trying to get the row to scroll to the top
    >> when you click on the correct upper internal link?

    >
    > Now that would be nice, sure. But it does not happen in all
    > browsers under all conditions.


    No, but I think it's the browsers' faults and not the markupers'. I don't
    know all the particulars, but (for instance) you may find it works in Opera
    initially but if you click a callback link, it will then ignore the hash on
    return. Like most things related to html, this is buggy.

    >> And why is your source code completely unformatted? It looks like sh**.

    >
    > You are right Boji. But it looks nice on my own machine. In fact
    > I get to cry at its sheer beauty all the time. I have to take
    > salt tablets to make up.
    >
    > I have asked about this before, only now and then I get this
    > problem and have few clues as to why?
    >
    > I use BBEdit. What should I do to make it look like it is in my
    > editor? I have tried various things and I do not know well the
    > actual levers to pull. I have followed instructions about other
    > things to good effect on BBEdit but this matter, which you have
    > identified, rears its ugly head every now and then.


    Generally speaking, the format of text in text editors, -specifically the
    line formatting-, is done with \r and \n instead of <br>. BBEdit may read
    the "html" instead of the "text" in a special manner, therefore not needing
    the normal LFCRs. It might have some kind of option regarding this,
    although I don't know because I'm not psychic. One would think so, though.
    But \r\n for feeding each line is what is missing. (Or...it is using \r
    without \n perhaps in typically weird-mac fashion.)

    >> Btw, the real links are all dead. The least you could do is give the
    >> testers some artwork packages for all their troubles.

    >
    > You can send me an email and I will give you the address of the
    > actual site and you can see some of the stuff if you are
    > interested. It is not that exciting. But one must earn a
    > living... It is not anything you would work up a sweat about. I
    > know you. You have a filthy mind. My work is clean and wholesome.
    > You would fall asleep. <g>


    Thanks, but <yawn /> unless it's a gong-and-donkey show or something like
    that, you're probably right. When you've seen it all, you've seen it all.

    Hasta

    --
    Neredbojias
    Half lies are worth twice as much as whole lies.
     
    Neredbojias, Aug 23, 2007
    #11
  12. In article
    <>,
    dorayme <> wrote:

    > In article
    > <Xns9995EBC3C1F0nanopandaneredbojias@198.186.190.161>,
    > Neredbojias <> wrote:
    >
    > > Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 22 Aug 2007 10:15:59
    > > GMT dorayme scribed:
    > >
    > > > Safari does not happily negotiate
    > > >
    > > > http://tinyurl.com/24y5hp
    > > >
    > > > iCab is quite simply brilliant, FF is fine. I don't know about
    > > > IE6 and 7, Mac IE is fine too.

    >
    > > I'm confused. Are you just trying to get the row to scroll to the top
    > > when you click on the correct upper internal link?

    >
    > Now that would be nice, sure. But it does not happen in all
    > browsers under all conditions.
    >
    > > And why is your source code completely unformatted? It looks like sh**.

    >
    > You are right Boji. But it looks nice on my own machine. In fact
    > I get to cry at its sheer beauty all the time. I have to take
    > salt tablets to make up.
    >
    > I have asked about this before, only now and then I get this
    > problem and have few clues as to why?
    >
    > I use BBEdit. What should I do to make it look like it is in my
    > editor? I have tried various things and I do not know well the
    > actual levers to pull. I have followed instructions about other
    > things to good effect on BBEdit but this matter, which you have
    > identified, rears its ugly head every now and then.


    FYI, I pasted your source code into BBEdit and there were no line
    endings present that I could see. If you put the file online again I
    could inspect it to see if there are line endings that are not
    translated or if (as I suspect) there are no line endings in the file.
    Something is probably stripping them as they get uploaded.

    --
    Philip
    http://NikitaTheSpider.com/
    Whole-site HTML validation, link checking and more
     
    Nikita the Spider, Aug 23, 2007
    #12
  13. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Athel Cornish-Bowden <> wrote:

    > On 2007-08-22 22:56:47 +0200, dorayme <> said:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > Athel Cornish-Bowden <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> On 2007-08-22 12:15:59 +0200, dorayme <>
    > >> said:
    > >>
    > >>> Safari does not happily negotiate
    > >>>
    > >>> http://tinyurl.com/24y5hp
    > >>>
    > >>> iCab is quite simply brilliant, FF is fine. I don't know about
    > >>> IE6 and 7, Mac IE is fine too.
    > >>>
    > >>> I was surprised by Safari, make the window not too big and see
    > >>> how it fails to show some of the links.

    >
    > [ ... ]
    >
    > > OK, now, this out of the way, you likely have a Mac. So how about
    > > confirming or giving me your observations about Safari please n
    > > respect of above.

    >
    > I'd be glad to do so, but your URL gives a 404 error today (both on
    > Safari and on iCab) though it worked yesterday. Have you moved the test
    > page?


    After it was pointed out to me in quite unparliamentary language
    that the source code formatting was not the best, I took it down,
    stormed off and got blind drunk. I am out on bail now and will
    see if I can see what the problem is. (It has been confirmed by a
    spider and me already that Safari likes ids in tds rather than
    trs if you read the thread. But thanks Athel.

    Talk to me about formatting instead, I am desperately at sea
    about how to set my text editor and/or my Cyberduck ftp program
    and/or how much blame to apportion my server host. What are the
    general causes of something looking mighty fine on the screen in
    a text editor only to see later in the source code of some (I
    emphasise some) of my website pages, no gaps between lines that
    were there before, various bits bunched together and so on and so
    forth. Perhaps my editor is too good and complicated and I am
    lost in the variables of the enormous list of preferences.

    I will put up a few versions and state on the pages what the
    crucial settings are that I would assume at least mildly relevant
    and together we will knock this thing over.

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, Aug 23, 2007
    #13
  14. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <Xns99952D8186EBFnanopandaneredbojias@198.186.190.161>,
    Neredbojias <> wrote:
    >
    >... I think it's the browsers' faults and not the markupers'. I

    don't ...Like most things related to html, this is buggy.
    >

    I have come to accept these things. I believe in Fate. But I like
    to play God and try to steer it a bit...

    > >> And why is your source code completely unformatted? It looks like sh**.

    > >
    > > You are right Boji. But it looks nice on my own machine. In fact
    > > I get to cry at its sheer beauty all the time. I have to take
    > > salt tablets to make up.
    > >
    > > I have asked about this before, only now and then I get this
    > > problem and have few clues as to why?


    > Generally speaking, the format of text in text editors, -specifically the
    > line formatting-, is done with \r and \n instead of <br>. BBEdit may read
    > the "html" instead of the "text" in a special manner, therefore not needing
    > the normal LFCRs. It might have some kind of option regarding this,
    > although I don't know because I'm not psychic. One would think so, though.
    > But \r\n for feeding each line is what is missing. (Or...it is using \r
    > without \n perhaps in typically weird-mac fashion.)
    >


    The question is how to use this to practical effect. I do fiddle
    with my text editor prefs for various purposes and only half know
    what I am doing. I got peace of mind when I settled on some prefs
    to do with Saving from TI a while back. But I really should now
    knock this formatting on the head.

    Why am I talking to you instead of reading the manual? Because it
    is less boring.

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, Aug 23, 2007
    #14
  15. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Nikita the Spider <> wrote:

    > FYI, I pasted your source code into BBEdit and there were no line
    > endings present that I could see. If you put the file online again I
    > could inspect it to see if there are line endings that are not
    > translated or if (as I suspect) there are no line endings in the file.
    > Something is probably stripping them as they get uploaded.


    Thanks. I would have done it already this morning if I had not
    opened up my newsreader and messed about. I have been fiddling
    with it. I will stick it up again soon.

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, Aug 23, 2007
    #15
  16. dorayme

    Ed Mullen Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article <>,


    >
    > Talk to me about formatting instead, I am desperately at sea
    > about how to set my text editor and/or my Cyberduck ftp program
    > and/or how much blame to apportion my server host. What are the
    > general causes of something looking mighty fine on the screen in
    > a text editor only to see later in the source code of some (I
    > emphasise some) of my website pages, no gaps between lines that
    > were there before, various bits bunched together and so on and so
    > forth. Perhaps my editor is too good and complicated and I am
    > lost in the variables of the enormous list of preferences.


    Does your text editor strip out extra lines? Does your FTP client
    compress files on upload by stripping double-spacing?

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    http://mozilla.edmullen.net
    http://abington.edmullen.net
    A conscience is what hurts when all your other parts feel so good.
     
    Ed Mullen, Aug 23, 2007
    #16
  17. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Nikita the Spider <> wrote:

    > > > > http://tinyurl.com/24y5hp


    > > I use BBEdit. What should I do to make it look like it is in my
    > > editor? I have tried various things and I do not know well the
    > > actual levers to pull. I have followed instructions about other
    > > things to good effect on BBEdit but this matter, which you have
    > > identified, rears its ugly head every now and then.

    >
    > FYI, I pasted your source code into BBEdit and there were no line
    > endings present that I could see. If you put the file online again I
    > could inspect it to see if there are line endings that are not
    > translated or if (as I suspect) there are no line endings in the file.
    > Something is probably stripping them as they get uploaded.


    I fiddled about and I _think_ this is better... I changed a
    setting in my editor, probably to do with line endings from Mac
    to Unix.

    The first four rows will be slightly different in source to the
    rest because of a bit of hand attention, the rest were set auto
    to 72 characters. What a distraction.

    http://tinyurl.com/24y5hp

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, Aug 24, 2007
    #17
  18. dorayme

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 23 Aug 2007 22:18:39
    GMT dorayme scribed:

    >>... I think it's the browsers' faults and not the markupers'. I

    > don't ...Like most things related to html, this is buggy.
    >>

    > I have come to accept these things. I believe in Fate. But I like
    > to play God and try to steer it a bit...


    Back when the original "Charlie's Angels" were on TV, I believed in Kate.
    Alas, she failed me, too.

    >> >> And why is your source code completely unformatted? It looks like
    >> >> sh**.
    >> >
    >> > You are right Boji. But it looks nice on my own machine. In fact
    >> > I get to cry at its sheer beauty all the time. I have to take
    >> > salt tablets to make up.
    >> >
    >> > I have asked about this before, only now and then I get this
    >> > problem and have few clues as to why?

    >
    >> Generally speaking, the format of text in text editors, -specifically
    >> the line formatting-, is done with \r and \n instead of <br>. BBEdit
    >> may read the "html" instead of the "text" in a special manner,
    >> therefore not needing the normal LFCRs. It might have some kind of
    >> option regarding this, although I don't know because I'm not psychic.
    >> One would think so, though. But \r\n for feeding each line is what
    >> is missing. (Or...it is using \r without \n perhaps in typically
    >> weird-mac fashion.)
    >>

    >
    > The question is how to use this to practical effect. I do fiddle
    > with my text editor prefs for various purposes and only half know
    > what I am doing. I got peace of mind when I settled on some prefs
    > to do with Saving from TI a while back. But I really should now
    > knock this formatting on the head.
    >
    > Why am I talking to you instead of reading the manual? Because it
    > is less boring.


    As Nikita (-er, the spider, not Krushchev) said, it could be the server
    stripping the LFs, too. If that's the case, it's a simple fix. Just
    complain to them, wait 6 or 8 months, and by then you won't care,
    anyways.

    Like my new x-face?

    --
    Neredbojias
    Half lies are worth twice as much as whole lies.
     
    Neredbojias, Aug 24, 2007
    #18
  19. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    > > In article <>,

    >
    > >
    > > Talk to me about formatting instead, I am desperately at sea
    > > about how to set my text editor and/or my Cyberduck ftp program
    > > and/or how much blame to apportion my server host. What are the
    > > general causes of something looking mighty fine on the screen in
    > > a text editor only to see later in the source code of some (I
    > > emphasise some) of my website pages, no gaps between lines that
    > > were there before, various bits bunched together and so on and so
    > > forth. Perhaps my editor is too good and complicated and I am
    > > lost in the variables of the enormous list of preferences.

    >
    > Does your text editor strip out extra lines? Does your FTP client
    > compress files on upload by stripping double-spacing?


    I think so yes and I want to put a bloody stop to it. I tell you,
    Ed, the combination of these two programs is a team made in hell,
    a law unto itself. I stay loyal to all the devils I know in case
    you ask. If I kicked them out, who would take them in?

    I cannot think of any setting I can improve on in BBEdit just
    this mo. As for the FTP, it is Cyberduck and there are not that
    many settings, must take a closer look.

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, Aug 24, 2007
    #19
  20. dorayme

    Ed Mullen Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Ed Mullen <> wrote:
    >
    >> dorayme wrote:
    >>> In article <>,
    >>> Talk to me about formatting instead, I am desperately at sea
    >>> about how to set my text editor and/or my Cyberduck ftp program
    >>> and/or how much blame to apportion my server host. What are the
    >>> general causes of something looking mighty fine on the screen in
    >>> a text editor only to see later in the source code of some (I
    >>> emphasise some) of my website pages, no gaps between lines that
    >>> were there before, various bits bunched together and so on and so
    >>> forth. Perhaps my editor is too good and complicated and I am
    >>> lost in the variables of the enormous list of preferences.

    >> Does your text editor strip out extra lines? Does your FTP client
    >> compress files on upload by stripping double-spacing?

    >
    > I think so yes and I want to put a bloody stop to it. I tell you,
    > Ed, the combination of these two programs is a team made in hell,
    > a law unto itself. I stay loyal to all the devils I know in case
    > you ask. If I kicked them out, who would take them in?
    >
    > I cannot think of any setting I can improve on in BBEdit just
    > this mo. As for the FTP, it is Cyberduck and there are not that
    > many settings, must take a closer look.
    >


    Look in Cyberduck for something concerning Transfer Mode. If you
    transfer HTML (or text) files in binary mode that /may/ be the problem.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    http://mozilla.edmullen.net
    http://abington.edmullen.net
    Just for today, I will not sit in my living room all day in my
    underwear. Instead, I will move my computer into the bedroom.
     
    Ed Mullen, Aug 24, 2007
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Gad Rosenthal
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    2,194
    Gad Rosenthal
    Apr 21, 2004
  2. ALuPin
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    1,968
    ALuPin
    Jan 8, 2004
  3. Peter Kinane

    Internal Linking

    Peter Kinane, Sep 11, 2003, in forum: HTML
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    378
    Peter Kinane
    Sep 11, 2003
  4. Gary
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    493
    Andy Dingley
    Feb 6, 2007
  5. Jeff
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    398
    Alexey Smirnov
    Feb 1, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page