Internal Server Error (500) with web service call

JC

I am trying to build a web service that internally, calls another web
service, applies certain business rules to the returned data, and
sends it back. The XML schema of the 2 web services is identical.
For this reason, I made my external web service accept and return a
datatype of XMLDocument - the specifics of the data can be handled by
my internal web server. My web method declaration looks like this:

<WebMethod(Description:="Retrieve flight availability data")> _
Public Function GetAvailability(ByVal flightCriteria As
XmlDocument) As XmlDocument
Dim facade As New BookingSystem()
Return facade.GetAvailability(flightCriteria)
End Function

I wrote a test client application a while back, to test the internal
web service. Basically, it enables me to pick an .xml file from my
local drive, does an HTTP POST of the file content to the remote
address, then displays the results that come back.

This test client works fine against the internal web service, but when
I try to point it at my own web service and send the same XML, I get
an "internal server error".

I have tried putting a breakpoint on the 1st line of the web method
but it never gets there - suggesting that the problem occurs within
the actual calling process, rather than the internals of my code. I
also checked in my IIS site logs, but they didnt really tell me
anything other than an error 500 ocurred.

I am new to web services, so before I get too deep, can anyone see
anything fundamentally wrong with what I am trying to do, or give any
direction as to what the cause of the problem could be? Also, some
assistance in how I can get it to be a little more verbose about the
problem ("Internal Server Error" is a pretty vague thing to try to
diagnose) would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

JC