internal web service calling multiply types of external web servic

Wendy Elizabeth

I am going to be writing a web service in Visual Basic .NET internally for
my company. This web service is going to be setup to send various kinds of
messages to the internet since the main production servers currently reside
in the DMZ. The main production servers are in the DMZ and are behind a
firewall so they are not able to send messages externally to the internet.
This internal Visual Basic.NET web service will be calling various types
of other external web services so that the information can be consumed. For
example one call will be setup to obtain financial information, another web
service would be to obtain weather data, other web service would be to obtain
travel information.
Thus each type of call to an external web service will be different.
How would you setup this internal web service to be able to process the
different types of web service calls that it needs to be made in Visual
Basic.NET?

Wendy Elizabeth

"Christian Weyer [MS RD, MVP]"

This infomation was very helpful. You did answer my question. However, I am
new to .NET and this will be my first programming project usually any .net
application.

My question is what kind of information would I pass to the internal server
so it knows what program is calling it and how to send the response back to.
I have also heard about thread programming when different applications are
calling a particular server. Would I do that type of programming here?

Thank you for your assistance.

Wendy Elizabeth

Dan Rogers

Hi Wendy,

Without a more in-depth conversation, it is difficult to determine the data
that your original callers will need to pass. In general, you should be
designing the service interface on the aggregating service (the one that
calls the other services and aggregates a response) to take in parameters
that satisfy your requirements. If you want the caller to pass in three
flags that make the service implementation decide that if flag1 is set, it
calls the first service, then checks flag2 and calls a second service, etc,
then your web method needs to expose these parameters.

As for aggregating the responses into a single type, your web method will
need to return a compound type that includes the data from the called
services that you want to have passed back to the original caller. This is
most likely a class that you create an instance of on the service side,
fill with the data as received from the other service calls, and then when
all filled up, gets returned as the return type from your method call.

I hope this helps,

Dan Rogers
Microsoft Corporation
--------------------
From: =?Utf-8?B?V2VuZHkgRWxpemFiZXRo?=
Subject: Re: internal web service calling multiply types of external web se
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 19:50:01 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices

"Christian Weyer [MS RD, MVP]"

This infomation was very helpful. You did answer my question. However, I am
new to .NET and this will be my first programming project usually any .net
application.

My question is what kind of information would I pass to the internal server
so it knows what program is calling it and how to send the response back to.
I have also heard about thread programming when different applications are
calling a particular server. Would I do that type of programming here?

Thank you for your assistance.

Wendy Elizabeth

Christian Weyer said:
The obvious option is to have a (static) proxy calss for each of the
external Web services.

Then there is the DynWsLib which you might want to try:
http://weblogs.asp.net/cweyer/archive/2003/07/07/9769.aspx
Maybe it can help you here...

Cheers,
--
Christian Weyer
thinktecture

*Smells like service spirit-Weblog
http://weblogs.asp.net/cweyer

*Independent Microsoft Regional Director
http://www.microsoft.com/rd