internationalization without using resource files

Jules

i'm working with translators that just want to translate "web pages" and not
deal with resource files. i'd like to have a file structure that looks sort
of like this:

/ <- root directory where all .cs files live
/en-US/ <- english specific directory which contains aspx and ascx files
only
/jp-JP/ <- japaneses specific directory which contains aspx and ascx files
only

i'm having trouble getting Visual Studio to load the .aspx file if they are
not in the same directory as the .cs files.

is this possible? am i forced to use resource files for
internationalization?

thanks

Jules

| i'm working with translators that just want to translate "web pages" and
not
| deal with resource files. i'd like to have a file structure that looks
sort
| of like this:
|
| / <- root directory where all .cs files live
| /en-US/ <- english specific directory which contains aspx and ascx files
| only
| /jp-JP/ <- japaneses specific directory which contains aspx and ascx files
| only
|
| i'm having trouble getting Visual Studio to load the .aspx file if they
are
| not in the same directory as the .cs files.
|
| is this possible? am i forced to use resource files for
| internationalization?

nevermind. this works fine, the problem is only Visual Studio itself.

Mihai N.

i'm working with translators that just want to translate "web pages" and
not deal with resource files.

If you can, change the translators.

Not that they have to blindly take what you give them, but if they complain
so badly about something that is quite a standard format in the computer
world, chances are they are not technical enough to give you a good
translation anyway.

It is like you are trying to use a programmer that tells you "yes, I am
an expert in Windows programming, but I want notepad only, no Developer
Studio." or a graphic artist saying "yes, I can do what you ask, but I
cannot handle Photoshop files".

They may be ok, but I have some doubts.

KMA

Contrary to the other poster, I think you should choose translators based on
their linguistic ability, rather than whether they're familiar with a
particular editor or filetype, although sooner or later *someone* has to
import the translated text into a convenient electronic format.

Back to your question
i'm having trouble getting Visual Studio to load the .aspx file if they are
not in the same directory as the .cs files.

Isn't it the other way around? I mean the aspx can always be found because
that's what is in the URL. The problem is how to locate the right code
behind file.
is this possible? am i forced to use resource files for
internationalization?

At the end of the day there has to be some structure for holding individual
languages, either the standard MS resource files, or a databse file, or
self-implemented XML, or even the ASPX pages (which are still files). The
question is which one makes sense from the point of view of maintenance.

My own favourite is to put all page text into identifiable labels then swap
the text in the labels at runtine. Of course there's more to this issue than
just text strings.