Internet Explorer 7 beta 2 preview: buggy

VK

Internet Explorer 7 beta 2 preview

CNET Editor review:
<http://reviews.cnet.com/Internet_Ex...eta_2/4505-3514_7-31454661-2.html?tag=nl.e415>

Summary (my personal review interpretation): "Half stolen from Firefox,
half is buggy - including the stolen part".

Download:
<http://www.download.com/Internet-Explorer-7/3000-2356_4-10497433.html?tag=nl.e415>

Attention! After installing Internet Explorer 7 beta 2 you cannot roll
back to the previous version.

As I currently do not have a spare Windows XP SP2 machine: anyone is
aware of what JScript version is used in IE7? Is it still JScript 5.6
or JScript.Net (JScript 7) ?

Gérard Talbot

VK wrote :
Internet Explorer 7 beta 2 preview

CNET Editor review:
<http://reviews.cnet.com/Internet_Ex...eta_2/4505-3514_7-31454661-2.html?tag=nl.e415>

Summary (my personal review interpretation): "Half stolen from Firefox,
half is buggy - including the stolen part".

This maybe a bit exaggerated but I nevertheless kinda agree with you.
They did not fix lots of other bugs too (eg in DOM 2 Core, DOM 2 HTML,
scripting, etc) which had been reported, documented, explained, etc..
Absolutely position bugs and related bugs (eg wrong/incorrect z-index
implementation) have barely been addressed.

My bug collection in MSIE 6
http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/MSIE6Bugs/

My bug collection in MSIE 7
http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/MSIE7Bugs/

Collections of CSS 1 bugs, CSS 2.1 bugs and CSS support for MSIE 6 at
channel9
http://channel9.msdn.com/wiki/default.aspx/Channel9.InternetExplorerSupportforCSS

MSIE 6 Crash bugs, MSIE 6 programming bugs, MSIE 6 DOM bugs at channel 9
http://channel9.msdn.com/wiki/default.aspx/Channel9.InternetExplorerProgrammingBugs

MSIE 6 Standards Support and related bugs at channel 9
http://channel9.msdn.com/wiki/default.aspx/Channel9.InternetExplorerStandardsSupport

104 bugs reported regarding MSIE 6 at Peter-Paul Koch site
http://www.quirksmode.org/bugreports/archives/explorer_windows/

Hixie's evil CSS testcases by Ian Hickson (dozens of testcases)
http://ln.hixie.ch/?start=1051031464&count=1

Wrong z-index implementation bugs by Aleksandar Vacic'
http://www.aplus.co.yu/css/z-pos/index2.php

What's also disappointing is the absence of large portion of unsupported
CSS2.1 properties. Say, implementing CSS2.1 outline property: since
there never was any support before, then the question of
backward-compatibility (quirks rendering mode) should not have stopped
Microsoft from trying to implement it. If they have not done any of this
by the beta 2 release, there is then huge chances that MSIE 7 final
release will not have more than what we see now in beta 2.
Someone (can't remember who or where) said that Microsoft can not
endlessly work on IE forever because they have limited resources.
Download:
<http://www.download.com/Internet-Explorer-7/3000-2356_4-10497433.html?tag=nl.e415>

Attention! After installing Internet Explorer 7 beta 2 you cannot roll
back to the previous version.

That's not true.

{
To uninstall Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview and return to Internet
Explorer 6 on Windows XP

1. Click "Start," and then click "Control Panel."
2. Click "Add or Remove Programs."
3. Check "Show Updates" at the top of the dialog box.
4. Scroll down the list to "Windows XP – Software Updates," select
"Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2Preview," and then click "Change/Remove."

If "Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview" does not exist, run
%windir%\$NtUninstallie7bet2p$\spuninst\spuninst.exe. You need to have
"view hidden folders" enabled. %windir% is your Windows installation
directory, which is normally 'C:\Windows' on most systems.
}
FAQ on IE 7 beta 2

Gérard