Internet Explorer 7 - wow!

Rob Nicholson

Can I just say "wow" - just installed IE7 on my dev PC (after imaging it
first - I'm not that mad) and the effect on a database type application I'm
developing is under ASP.NET v1.1 is amazing:

It feels a lot faster switching from record to record so I assume JavaScript
has been given a boost. We use the powerful but sluggish NetAdvantage
controls which make heavy use of JavaScript.

It doesn't flicker anymore when switching between records! We don't use
Smart Navigation as it caused too many problems with the NetAdvantage
controls. Heck, the application almost feels like a Windows client app -
that's only taken 10 years ;-)

And the fact that sending a link by email now doesn't include that annoying
URL attachment which is always blocked is worth the upgrade.

Shame our customers won't be running it for a while :-(

Any showstopper's yet though?

Cheers, Rob.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=F6ran_Andersson?=

Rob said:
[...]

Yes, IE7 really is a lot faster than IE6. Now it's almost as fast as
Firefox and Opera. ;)

IE7 will be available through windows update, so I expect that quite a
few will be using it soon. I believe that there is a lot of web
developers that plan to drop support for IE6 as soon as possible, i.e.
when usage drops below a certain percent.

Smokey Grindel

Heck we already dropped support for IE6 basically and are recommending our
clients to upgrade to FF2 or IE7 as soon as possible, our sites still work
in IE6 but really we dont want to support it now that MS is going to push
IE7 through windows update in november now...

Mark Rae

IE7 will be available through windows update, so I expect that quite a few
will be using it soon. I believe that there is a lot of web developers
that plan to drop support for IE6 as soon as possible, i.e. when usage
drops below a certain percent.

I certainly intend to do that.

Smokey Grindel

wow you people and ACID tests, guess what they mean nothing! it's just how
well can it handle errors in CSS, not how well can it render... btw FireFox
doesnt render CSS correctly also! no browser does! so they are all in the
stone age compared to the CSS 2 & 3 standards... IE 7 renders CSS 2 a LOT
better then IE6 and near close to FireFox, IE8 will have all the remaining
problems worked out from what MS says

Michael D. Ober

IE7 won't be available on Windows 2000 SP4, which is still used heavily in
small businesses simply because they can't afford to update everytime MS
releases a new OS. Remember, a lot of systems never get upgraded from their
original OS and the hardware running Windows 2000 is still plenty powerful
for most business applications..

Mike Ober.

Rob Nicholson

Any showstopper's yet though?

Answering my own post but after a day of using IE7 and VS 2003, VS 2003 has
taken to crashing pretty regularly after I've been in a code, run, code, run
cycle. I'm going to reboot but if it carries on like this, it's back to IE6
for a while :-(

Cheers, Rob.

Rob Nicholson

asp.net is 2.0 now
u should upgrade

Takes time for us to catch up. Heck - we've just spent the last six months
adding major functionality to a VB6 app :)

Rob.

Przemek Ptasznik

Smokey Grindel napisa³(a):
wow you people and ACID tests, guess what they mean nothing! it's just how
well can it handle errors in CSS
Errors too. But mostly correct interpret css.
btw FireFox
doesnt render CSS correctly also!
Right. But it's much closer than IE.
no browser does!
Wrong.
Many browsers does (Opera, Konqueror,Safari..)
IE 7 renders CSS 2 a LOT better then IE6
Right. It's not very difficult to render better than IE6:)
and near close to FireFox,
Did you ever looked at rendering results or you just guessing?
Try http://osiolki.net/acid2/ for example if you don't have time to test
it yourself.
IE8 will have all the remaining
problems worked out from what MS says
I hope so.
But till we have IE7, there's no revolution here. Rather few fixes and
eliminating most annoying bugs in css support.

Anyway, I'm not against any browser, I just try to build my websites in
way they can be accessed by most users independent of the browser they
use. IE's leading position in market is causing only more problems in
building websites - webdevelopers couldn't just follow webstandards
because they must keep building special versions of css for IE to avoid
it's quirks.
IE7 isn't a big step forward in this context.

Przemek Ptasznik

Juan T. Llibre napisa³(a):
re:

What ?
I mean doesn't support css well.
I did. With hope...but it's rather disappointing.
Granted, there's a lot still to be done but a lot *has* been done.
I agree. But while there is such a distance between modern browsers and
IE it will be still too little to be happy with it.

Greatest advance is in UI. In this category at least IE is not so far
behind other browsers.