    wondering whether anyone knew of a way to accomplish this behavior of
    windows using Internet Explorer. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

    M B HONG 20, Sep 15, 2005

  2. M B HONG 20

    Randy Webb Guest

    M B HONG 20 said the following on 9/14/2005 8:19 PM:

    > Hi all -
    >
    > I am aware that the window.open method of javascript can open new popup
    > windows with different properties. I wish to use the 'dependent'
    > parameter to open a window that does not hide behind its parent window
    > when its parent window is clicked/brought into focus. I know that the
    > 'dependent' parameter can only be recognized by Netscape, but I was
    > wondering whether anyone knew of a way to accomplish this behavior of
    > windows using Internet Explorer. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    > Thanks in advance.

    Use a modal dialog and hope the user doesn't have a half decent
    popup-blocker.

    --
    Randy

    Randy Webb, Sep 15, 2005

  3. M B HONG 20 a écrit :
    > Hi all -
    >
    > I am aware that the window.open method of javascript can open new popup
    > windows with different properties. I wish to use the 'dependent'
    > parameter to open a window that does not hide behind its parent window
    > when its parent window is clicked/brought into focus. I know that the
    > 'dependent' parameter can only be recognized by Netscape, but I was
    > wondering whether anyone knew of a way to accomplish this behavior of
    > windows using Internet Explorer. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    > Thanks in advance.

    Everything is explained in this document:
    http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/DOM:window.open#Window_functionality_features

    Gérard
    --
    remove blah to email me

    Gérard Talbot, Sep 15, 2005
  4. M B HONG 20 <> wrote in message news:...
    > Hi all -
    >
    > I am aware that the window.open method of javascript can open new popup
    > windows with different properties. I wish to use the 'dependent'
    > parameter to open a window that does not hide behind its parent window
    > when its parent window is clicked/brought into focus. I know that the
    > 'dependent' parameter can only be recognized by Netscape, but I was
    > wondering whether anyone knew of a way to accomplish this behavior of
    > windows using Internet Explorer. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    > Thanks in advance.

    Do you want the full functionality of that feature, or just to have the new
    window maintain focus until it is closed by the user?

    --
    S.C.

    Stephen Chalmers, Sep 15, 2005
  5. M B HONG 20

    M B HONG 20 Guest

    I am not concerned about pop up blockers, as users will have to disable
    them to use our site. The thing is, I have a javascript menu on a main
    screen, which opens child screens whenever an option is clicked. The
    problem is, when a different option is clicked, the window that popped
    up before goes behind the main page because the main page was clicked.
    In Netscape/Mozilla the 'dependent' feature is a good way to circumvent
    the losing of the windows behind the main one, but IE doesnt support
    it. So i dont really care about keeping focus, but i want the windows
    to stay up.
    I am also aware of onBlur, focus fixes, but i was looking for something
    cleaner in IE. Thanks.

    M B HONG 20, Sep 15, 2005
  6. M B HONG 20

    M B HONG 20 Guest

    How can i accomplish a modal dialog in a browser window?

    M B HONG 20, Sep 15, 2005
  7. M B HONG 20 wrote:

    > I am aware that the window.open method of javascript can open new popup
    > windows with different properties. I wish to use the 'dependent'
    > parameter to open a window that does not hide behind its parent window
    > when its parent window is clicked/brought into focus. I know that the
    > 'dependent' parameter can only be recognized by Netscape, but I was
    > wondering whether anyone knew of a way to accomplish this behavior of
    > windows using Internet Explorer.

    With IE/Win you can use
    window.showModelessDialog('http://example.com/')
    the docs are here:
    <http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/methods/showmodelessdialog.asp>
    It is not exactly the same as a dependent window with Mozilla/Netscape
    but probably what you are looking for in terms of IE.

    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

    Martin Honnen, Sep 15, 2005
  8. M B HONG 20

    M B HONG 20 Guest

    Martin -

    Thanks, thats pretty much exactly what i was looking for. but i
    noticed there is no built in minimize function in a modeless dialog
    window, is there a javascript minimize function i can trap with a
    hotkey?

    M B HONG 20, Sep 15, 2005
  9. M B HONG 20 wrote:

    > Thanks, thats pretty much exactly what i was looking for. but i
    > noticed there is no built in minimize function in a modeless dialog
    > window, is there a javascript minimize function i can trap with a
    > hotkey?

    You will have to live with the features described in
    <http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/methods/showmodelessdialog.asp>
    for setting certain stuff when the modeless dialog is being opened.
    Browsers do not expose a function to script to minimize a window.

    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

    Martin Honnen, Sep 16, 2005