Internet Explorer Browser Extension: Switching from Live to Development and back again with a browse

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Danny, Jun 12, 2007.

  1. Danny

    Danny Guest

    Hello:

    I would like to develop a browser extension, or whatever such a thing
    is classified as, that would allow a user of IE6, and possibly IE7,
    switch between a live and development page.

    I'm sure the individuals reading this are familiar with what I'm
    referring to; however, I'll provide an example.

    I'm currently viewing a page, which is http://www.project.com/project-five.jsp,
    and I would like to view the development version of that page, which
    is http://project.dev.project.com/project -five.jsp--I would like to
    switch back and forth
    with one button, which of course would be "attached" to whatever
    scripting language
    accommodates such an action. I've had limited success with the "href"
    and window.location
    (or location.window) function in JS, but nothing that would allow me
    to do the aforementioned.

    I'm thinking that the code for this process would be executed by a
    button
    on the browser toolbar, which would be fed from the registry, which
    is
    probably the only part of this procedure I know how to perform.

    I'm aware of Server Switcher, a browser add-on for FireFox, but I
    would need to have this component for IE 6 and IE 7, and I would need
    to develop this myself

    I 'd like to know what tools I need for this type of project, and
    what
    type of programming I'm looking at; type of environment am I looking
    at working in?

    I've looked at some javascript and I've been given some code, but none
    that I can seem to make work.

    If this is a simple coding procedure that someone is familiar with
    and
    it could be provided here, it would be greatly appreciated.

    If you believe that this message would be better suited posted to
    another discussion group, please advise.

    Thank you in advance for your time and attention.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------­-----
    Daniel R. Young
    Danny, Jun 12, 2007

  2. Danny

    Randy Webb Guest

    Re: Internet Explorer Browser Extension: Switching from Live to Developmentand back again with a browser extension or BHO--how to create it?

    Danny said the following on 6/12/2007 11:12 AM:
    > Hello:
    >
    > I would like to develop a browser extension, or whatever such a thing
    > is classified as, that would allow a user of IE6, and possibly IE7,
    > to switch between a live and development page.

    I do that daily with IE7 and it is trivial. I open the development page
    in on tab, the live page in another and switch between tabs. Why do I
    need an add-on to allow me to do that? With IE6, there are already
    add-ons that allow you to have tabbed browsing. Prior to the tabs, I
    would simply open two browser windows and open two pages. No need for a
    plugin/extension.

    --
    Randy
    Chance Favors The Prepared Mind
    Randy Webb, Jun 12, 2007

  3. Danny

    Danny Guest

    On Jun 12, 12:23 pm, Randy Webb <> wrote:
    > Danny said the following on 6/12/2007 11:12 AM:
    >
    > > Hello:

    > > I would like to develop a browser extension, or whatever such a thing
    > > is classified as, that would allow a user of IE6, and possibly IE7,
    > > to switch between a live and development page.

    > I do that daily with IE7 and it is trivial. I open the development page
    > in on tab, the live page in another and switch between tabs. Why do I
    > need an add-on to allow me to do that? With IE6, there are already
    > add-ons that allow you to have tabbed browsing. Prior to the tabs, I
    > would simply open two browser windows and open two pages. No need for a
    > plugin/extension.
    >
    > --
    > Randy
    > Chance Favors The Prepared Mind

    If it were that simple, I wouldn't have posted such a question. An add-
    on such as this is available in FireFox, which supports tabbed
    browsing. This add-on would concatenate the dev. URL, keep the path
    and file name, but replace the domain. Get it? If you don't
    collaborate with end-users, I doubt you'd understand why there's a
    need for such an add-on,

    Thanks anyway.
    Danny, Jun 12, 2007
  4. Danny

    Danny said the following on 6/12/2007 5:43 PM:
    > On Jun 12, 12:23 pm, Randy Webb <> wrote:
    >> Danny said the following on 6/12/2007 11:12 AM:
    >>
    >>> Hello:
    >>> I would like to develop a browser extension, or whatever such a thing
    >>> is classified as, that would allow a user of IE6, and possibly IE7,
    >>> to switch between a live and development page.

    >> I do that daily with IE7 and it is trivial. I open the development page
    >> in on tab, the live page in another and switch between tabs. Why do I
    >> need an add-on to allow me to do that? With IE6, there are already
    >> add-ons that allow you to have tabbed browsing. Prior to the tabs, I
    >> would simply open two browser windows and open two pages. No need for a
    >> plugin/extension.
    >>

    > If it were that simple,

    It *is* that simple and I even told you how.

    > I wouldn't have posted such a question.

    Just because you ask a question doesn't mean the solution isn't simple.

    > An add-on such as this is available in FireFox,

    Then someone wasted a lot of time on making something for Firefox that
    is trivial to do without a plug-in/add on.

    > which supports tabbed browsing. This add-on would concatenate the dev. URL,
    > keep the path and file name, but replace the domain.

    I can do that with a bookmark, add it to the toolbar. Why do I need an
    addon?

    > Get it?

    I got it the first time I answered you. You are the one trying to make
    it more difficult than it is.

    > If you don't collaborate with end-users, I doubt you'd understand
    > why there's a need for such an add-on,

    I "collaborate" with my end-users on a daily basis. Most times I
    "collaborate" with them more than I wanted to.

    x=document.location;
    k = x.href.substring(8);
    //change the 8 to pick up the parts you want to keep.
    y = x.href.substring(0,8);
    //change the 8 to pick up the live domain that you want to discard.
    if(y="liveURLHere")
    {x.href="devURLHere" + filePath}
    else
    {x.href="liveURLHere" + filePath}

    Substitute the devURL and the liveURL, remove the comments, put it all
    on one line, save it as a bookmarklet, add it to the IE toolbar.

    Now, since you "Get it" and you seem to think I don't. Can you please
    explain to me, and anybody else reading, why I need to install an addon
    (to any browser) to allow me to do what the above bookmarklet will do?

    Randy Webb, Jun 13, 2007
  5. Danny

    Danny Guest

    On Jun 13, 12:54 pm, Randy Webb <> wrote:
    > Danny said the following on 6/12/2007 5:43 PM:

    > >> I do that daily with IE7 and it is trivial. I open the development page
    > >> in on tab, the live page in another and switch between tabs. Why do I
    > >> need an add-on to allow me to do that? With IE6, there are already
    > >> add-ons that allow you to have tabbed browsing. Prior to the tabs, I
    > >> would simply open two browser windows and open two pages. No need for a
    > >> plugin/extension.

    > > If it were that simple,

    > It *is* that simple and I even told you how.
    >
    > > I wouldn't have posted such a question.

    > Just because you ask a question doesn't mean the solution isn't simple.
    >
    > > An add-on such as this is available in FireFox,

    > Then someone wasted a lot of time on making something for Firefox that
    > is trivial to do without a plug-in/add on.
    >
    > > which supports tabbed browsing. This add-on would concatenate the dev. URL,
    > > keep the path and file name, but replace the domain.

    > I can do that with a bookmark, add it to the toolbar. Why do I need an
    > addon?
    >
    > > Get it?

    > I got it the first time I answered you. You are the one trying to make
    > it more difficult than it is.
    >
    > > If you don't collaborate with end-users, I doubt you'd understand
    > > why there's a need for such an add-on,

    > I "collaborate" with my end-users on a daily basis. Most times I
    > "collaborate" with them more than I wanted to.
    >
    > x=document.location;
    > k = x.href.substring(8);
    > //change the 8 to pick up the parts you want to keep.
    > y = x.href.substring(0,8);
    > //change the 8 to pick up the live domain that you want to discard.
    > if(y="liveURLHere")
    > {x.href="devURLHere" + filePath}
    > else
    > {x.href="liveURLHere" + filePath}
    >
    > Substitute the devURL and the liveURL, remove the comments, put it all
    > on one line, save it as a bookmarklet, add it to the IE toolbar.
    >
    > Now, since you "Get it" and you seem to think I don't. Can you please
    > explain to me, and anybody else reading, why I need to install an addon
    > (to any browser) to allow me to do what the above bookmarklet will do?
    >
    > --
    > Randy
    > Chance Favors The Prepared Mind

    OK, I've used the wrong terminology and that's why you're viewing this
    as superfluous-I at least that's why I've interpreted this as. Instead
    of add-on, I should have said IE Toolbar button, but not a favorite.

    I did as you suggested, with the code pasted above, and the script
    host returned an error: "'window is undefined'."

    It's possible that I didn't describe this requirement of the script. I
    would need the script to understand that the path and filename will
    not be the same in all instances. Sometimes you'd visit
    http://www.live.com/file-path-name.jsp and want to switch to it's
    respective development page, but other instances the file and path
    name would be http://www.live.com/ff2-pp2-nn2.jsp, and I would need
    the script to recognize the path and file name, capture it, (or
    whatever function JS could provide in such a situation), and replace
    the live domain (http://www.live.com) with the development domain
    (http://live.dev.live.com).
    Danny, Jun 13, 2007
  6. Danny

    Danny said the following on 6/13/2007 2:04 PM:
    > On Jun 13, 12:54 pm, Randy Webb <> wrote:
    >> Danny said the following on 6/12/2007 5:43 PM:

    >>> If it were that simple,

    >> It *is* that simple and I even told you how.
    >>
    >>> I wouldn't have posted such a question.

    >> Just because you ask a question doesn't mean the solution isn't simple.
    >>
    >>> An add-on such as this is available in FireFox,

    >> Then someone wasted a lot of time on making something for Firefox that
    >> is trivial to do without a plug-in/add on.
    >>
    >>> which supports tabbed browsing. This add-on would concatenate the dev. URL,
    >>> keep the path and file name, but replace the domain.

    >> I can do that with a bookmark, add it to the toolbar. Why do I need an
    >> addon?
    >>
    >>> Get it?

    >> I got it the first time I answered you. You are the one trying to make
    >> it more difficult than it is.
    >>
    >>> If you don't collaborate with end-users, I doubt you'd understand
    >>> why there's a need for such an add-on,

    >> I "collaborate" with my end-users on a daily basis. Most times I
    >> "collaborate" with them more than I wanted to.
    >>
    >> x=document.location;
    >> k = x.href.substring(8);
    >> //change the 8 to pick up the parts you want to keep.
    >> y = x.href.substring(0,8);
    >> //change the 8 to pick up the live domain that you want to discard.
    >> if(y="liveURLHere")
    >> {x.href="devURLHere" + filePath}
    >> else
    >> {x.href="liveURLHere" + filePath}
    >>
    >> Substitute the devURL and the liveURL, remove the comments, put it all
    >> on one line, save it as a bookmarklet, add it to the IE toolbar.
    >>
    >> Now, since you "Get it" and you seem to think I don't. Can you please
    >> explain to me, and anybody else reading, why I need to install an addon
    >> (to any browser) to allow me to do what the above bookmarklet will do?
    >>

    > OK, I've used the wrong terminology and that's why you're viewing this
    > as superfluous-I at least that's why I've interpreted this as. Instead
    > of add-on, I should have said IE Toolbar button, but not a favorite.

    Why though? Why won't a favorite work if it can be coded to work?

    > I did as you suggested, with the code pasted above, and the script
    > host returned an error: "'window is undefined'."

    That is an odd error as nothing in the script tried to access a "window".

    > It's possible that I didn't describe this requirement of the script. I
    > would need the script to understand that the path and filename will
    > not be the same in all instances.

    I understood that part :)

    > Sometimes you'd visit http://www.live.com/file-path-name.jsp and
    > want to switch to it's respective development page, but other
    > instances the file and path name would be http://www.live.com/ff2-pp2-nn2.jsp,
    > and I would need the script to recognize the path and file name,
    > capture it, (or whatever function JS could provide in such a
    > situation), and replace the live domain (http://www.live.com)
    > with the development domain (http://live.dev.live.com).

    If all you want to change is the domain of the page, no sub folders,
    then you simply read the document.domain property which gives you the
    www.live.com (or live.dev.live.com part) of the URL. You check that to
    see which it is - live or dev - and replace it with the other, then set
    location.href of the current page. The snippet I posted before had a
    flaw where it assumed (incorrectly) that the domain names would be the
    same length when that isn't always true.

    //set a variable to the location.href property
    k=location.href;
    //read the domain
    m=document.domain;
    //define a variable for each domain name
    n="www.live.com";
    p="live.dev.live.com";
    //check the domain to see which it is and branch accordingly
    if(document.domain == n){
    //replace the domain name in k with the new domain name
    k=k.replace(m,p);
    }else{
    //replace the domain name in k with the domain name of p
    k=k.replace(m,n)
    }
    //k now equals a string that represents the new URL so
    //set the location.href property to k
    location.href = k;

    When you strip out the comments, remove the linebreaks, and add the
    javascript: protocol to it, you end up with this:

    javascript:k=location.href;m=document.domain;n="www.live.com";p="live.dev.live.com";if(document.domain==n){k=k.replace(m,p);}else{k=k.replace(m,n)}location.href=k;

    Save it as a bookmark.
    Edit the n and p variables to match your respective domain names.

    I don't have two live servers that I can tinker with right now to
    thoroughly test it with but testing with variables instead of
    location.href and document.domain I can't get it to fail in IE7. Try it
    and if it still throws an error then let me know what the error was and
    I will look into it some more. Whether you use a bookmark written in
    javascript or any other language the process is the same.

    Randy Webb, Jun 13, 2007
  7. Danny

    Danny Guest

    On Jun 13, 5:52 pm, Randy Webb <> wrote:
> [...]

    > //set the location.href property to k
    > location.href = k;
    >
    > When you strip out the comments, remove the linebreaks, and add the
    > javascript: protocol to it, you end up with this:
    >
    > javascript:k=location.href;m=document.domain;n="www.live.com";p="live.dev.live.com";if(document.domain==n){k=k.replace(m,p);}else{k=k.r­eplace(m,n)}location.href=k;
    >
    > Save it as a bookmark.
    > Edit the n and p variables to match your respective domain names.
    >
    > I don't have two live servers that I can tinker with right now to
    > thoroughly test it with but testing with variables instead of
    > location.href and document.domain I can't get it to fail in IE7. Try it
    > and if it still throws an error then let me know what the error was and
    > I will look into it some more. Whether you use a bookmark written in
    > javascript or any other language the process is the same.

    The message I'm receiving is 'location is undefined.' I've saved the
    file as a .js file, and placed it in Internet Explorer's Favorites
    folder. Should this be an html file?

    Thanks.
    Danny, Jun 14, 2007
  8. Danny

    Danny said the following on 6/14/2007 10:25 AM:
    > On Jun 13, 5:52 pm, Randy Webb <> wrote:
    >> Danny said the following on 6/13/2007 2:04 PM:
    >>
    >>> On Jun 13, 12:54 pm, Randy Webb <> wrote:

    <snip>

    >> When you strip out the comments, remove the linebreaks, and add the
    >> javascript: protocol to it, you end up with this:
    >>
    >> javascript:k=location.href;m=document.domain;n="www.live.com";p="live.dev.live.com";if(document.domain==n){k=k.replace(m,p);}else{k=k.r­eplace(m,n)}location.href=k;

    <snip>

    > The message I'm receiving is 'location is undefined.' I've saved the
    > file as a .js file, and placed it in Internet Explorer's Favorites
    > folder. Should this be an html file?

    No, the above code, that begins with javascript: is the URL of a favorites.

    Randy Webb, Jun 16, 2007
  9. Danny

    Danny Guest

    On Jun 15, 11:28 pm, Randy Webb <> wrote:
    > Danny said the following on 6/14/2007 10:25 AM:

    > <snip>
    >
    > >> When you strip out the comments, remove the linebreaks, and add the
    > >> javascript: protocol to it, you end up with this:

    > >> javascript:k=location.href;m=document.domain;n="www.live.com";p="live.dev.live.com";if(document.domain==n){k=k.replace(m,p);}else{k=k.r­­eplace(m,n)}location.href=k;

    > <snip>
    >
    > > The message I'm receiving is 'location is undefined.' I've saved the
    > > file as a .js file, and placed it in Internet Explorer's Favorites
    > > folder. Should this be an html file?

    > No, the above code, that begins with javascript: is the URL of a favorites.
    >
    > --
    > Randy
    > Chance Favors The Prepared Mind

    Aha, that did it. Thank you very much.
    Danny, Jun 25, 2007
  10. Danny

    Danny said the following on 6/25/2007 2:25 PM:
    > On Jun 15, 11:28 pm, Randy Webb <> wrote:
    >> Danny said the following on 6/14/2007 10:25 AM:

    >> <snip>

    >> <snip>
    >>
    >>> The message I'm receiving is 'location is undefined.' I've saved the
    >>> file as a .js file, and placed it in Internet Explorer's Favorites
    >>> folder. Should this be an html file?

    >> No, the above code, that begins with javascript: is the URL of a favorites.

    > Aha, that did it. Thank you very much.

    Welcome, and just think, it didn't take an add-on or plug-in :)

    Randy Webb, Jun 25, 2007
  11. Danny

    Danny Guest

    On Jun 25, 5:32 pm, Randy Webb <> wrote:
    > Danny said the following on 6/25/2007 2:25 PM:

    > >> <snip>

    > >> <snip>

    > >> No, the above code, that begins with javascript: is the URL of a favorites.

    > > Aha, that did it. Thank you very much.

    > Welcome, and just think, it didn't take an add-on or plug-in :)
    >
    > --
    > Randy
    > Chance Favors The Prepared Mind
    > Javascript Best Practices -http://www.JavascriptToolbox.com/bestpractices/- Hide quoted text -

    True, it didn't. Quick question: What would be needed to allow the
    script to accommodate another domain? For instance
    javascript:k=location.href;m=document.domain;n="www.live.com";p="live.dev.live.com";if(document.domain==n)
    {k=k.replace(m,p);}else{k=k.r­­­eplace(m,n)}location.href=k; and then
    I'd like to add live25 to the domain list, and of course
    live25.dev.live.com.? Would it require an IF ELSE sequence, or
    something totally different?

    Thanks again.
    Danny, Jun 25, 2007
  12. Danny

    Danny Guest

    On Jun 26, 7:07 pm, Randy Webb <> wrote:
    > Danny said the following on 6/25/2007 5:43 PM:

    > >> Welcome, and just think, it didn't take an add-on or plug-in :)

    > > True, it didn't. Quick question: What would be needed to allow the
    > > script to accommodate another domain? For instance
    > > javascript:k=location.href;m=document.domain;n="www.live.com";p="live.dev.live.com";if(document.domain==n)
    > > {k=k.replace(m,p);}else{k=k.r­­­eplace(m,n)}location.href=k; and then
    > > I'd like to add live25 to the domain list, and of course
    > > live25.dev.live.com.? Would it require an IF ELSE sequence, or
    > > something totally different?

    > It would probably be simplest to use an if/else for readability but the
    > simplest way would be to use a ternary statement or two.
    >
    > If the domain iswww.live.com, redirect to live.dev.live.com
    > If the domain is live.dev.live.com, redirect towww.live.com
    > If the domain iswww.live25.com, redirect to live25.dev.live.com
    > If the domain is live25.dev.live.com, redirect towww.live25.com