Internet Explorer Crashing after .Net 2.0

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?TWF0dA==?=, Dec 26, 2005.

  1. Hey Folks,

    We discovered an interesting behavior last week and after failing to find
    anything in the Knowledgebase or MSDN, I thought I would ping the community.

    We are in the process of developing a new ASP.Net application using VS2003
    and during unit testing, Internet Explorer crashed...hard. No error
    reporting, just a simple dialog box stating

    "The instruction at "0x10005fbe" referenced memory at "0x10005fbe". The
    memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program."

    After quite a bit of testing, we have determined the following:

    1. It only affects machines that have version 2.0 of the Framework
    installed.
    2. It only occurs if you close IE while still on the page. Either
    completing the form or navigating to another page and then closing IE will
    not generate the error.
    3. It only occurs in a specific portion of the page. The page does a
    postback after the user selects the basic criteria and populates the rest of
    the form based on that criteria. Until the rest of the form is visible, it
    will not crash.

    The form is extremely basic, but we do use some third party controls for an
    auto-select combobox and a non-postback calendar control, however the
    combobox is used in the initial portion of the page (before postback) with no
    issues. We are currently creating a version of the page without the calendar
    controls to see if they are the culprit. However they are working fine on
    many other pages. We did discover a DHTML issue between the two controls
    when they are placed adjacent, but some careful rearranging of the form
    eliminated this issue.

    Since IE is crashing hard, we are getting no data on what is causing the
    issue.

    Anyone else seen anything like this?

    Thanks,
    Matt

    =?Utf-8?B?TWF0dA==?=, Dec 26, 2005

  2. You might want to check what kind of Add-ins are running on that machine. If
    you have any add-ins that are .NET based they might break with 2.0.

    One thing to do is check out and see if IE is loading the CLR at all with
    something like Process Explorer. By default it doesn't load anything .NET.
    If PE shows IE loading with .NET then you need to check what's loaded and
    try to pinpoint which extension miht be at fault.

    --

    Rick Strahl
    West Wind Technologies

    Rick Strahl [MVP], Dec 27, 2005

  3. Hey Rick,

    Thanks for the ideas. We had indeed checked both of these issues and used
    several different client environments, both as VM's and as physical installs
    to single out the cause.

    The culprit turned out to be Smart Navigation. Once we disabled SN, the
    issue went away and this particular form didn't really benefit from SN anyway.

    Appreciate the suggestions.

    Matt

    =?Utf-8?B?TWF0dA==?=, Dec 27, 2005