Internet Site that Teaches Java

Kevin Simonson

Back in August 1999 Nortel Networks hired me to do configuration ma-
nagement for its NISA project, that involved C++ and Java applications
on Unix and Windows NT platforms. I had had no previous exposure to
Java, so I bought a book on the subject, the SIMS book _Teach Yourself
Java 2 in 21 Days_, and read it cover to cover, assuming that would be
sufficient to help me with my job.

Since then when I've read job descriptions I've discovered that
there are a lot of Java-related skills that employers are looking for
that weren't covered in the book, like J2EE, JSP, Java Beans. The
book talked about Swing, but didn't get into much detail.

Is there some place on the Internet where I could go to learn
about these missing pieces of the Java language? Should I buy another
book, and if so, which book? Any information anyone can give me on
this would be greatly appreciated.

---Kevin Simonson

"Maybe it started as a dream, but doesn't everything?"
from _James and the Giant Peach_

Tony Morris

Kevin Simonson said:
[...]

You might be surprised to learn that "24 hour" books really don't cover
everything (despite what the Preface might tell you).
They generally attempt to teach the fundamentals and give you a starting
point to learn the technology completely.
If any person or book claims to "teach you Java", or "knows Java", approach
with caution, since these are usually overstated claims.

I am guaranteed to have a laugh when, as a part-time university teacher
(java, C, C++), I can usually spot the students who claim to "know Java"
immediately - I'm not a fan of over-confidence.

Anyway, http://java.sun.com/tutorial is the single, most complete set of
resources that cover Java and related technologies.
Enjoy!

--
Tony Morris
Software Engineer

Rick Osborn

Smartcertify.com is a refined "hands-on" training program,
oriented toward certifications. But is very good.
But it will cost you.

Otherwise, perhaps online class from one of the universities?

Berlin Brown

Tony said:
You might be surprised to learn that "24 hour" books really don't cover
everything (despite what the Preface might tell you).
They generally attempt to teach the fundamentals and give you a starting
point to learn the technology completely.
If any person or book claims to "teach you Java", or "knows Java", approach
with caution, since these are usually overstated claims.

I am guaranteed to have a laugh when, as a part-time university teacher
(java, C, C++), I can usually spot the students who claim to "know Java"
immediately - I'm not a fan of over-confidence.

Anyway, http://java.sun.com/tutorial is the single, most complete set of
resources that cover Java and related technologies.
Enjoy!

He was asking for it.

oliver wrulich

[...]

hav a look at bruce eckel´s website. here you can download the books
"thinking in java" and "thinking in patterns". great books. and the
best is: they are free.
http://mindview.net/Books/TIJ/DownloadSites

best regards,
oliver

Matt O'Toole

Kevin said:
[...]

There's plenty at the Sun and IBM sites. Good stuff, and enough to keep you
occupied forever. Also, try www.javaranch.com

Matt O.