Interpreting the error message?

Rob Meade

Hi all,

I have a webform containing about 9 web user controls, these primarily are
just html in a control thats used as the template etc..

A colleague has given me another control for our secure login, alas he's not
around to ask for help at the moment, but since adding his control I get an
error and I simply cannot decipher what it means, therefore I cannot find
where I need to look, the only thing I can confirm is that before I added
his control everything was fine (and I've not added any other since or made
any other changes since) - if I remove his control (and the associated code
in the html view) then my app works fine again....bit stuck...

I am receiving the following error message but I have no idea where to start
looking - any help is apprecated :)

Server Error in '/eNotifications' Application.
----

Input string was not in a correct format.

Exception Details: System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct
format.

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

[FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.]
Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.DecimalType.Parse(String Value,
NumberFormatInfo NumberFormat) +207
Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.LongType.FromString(String Value)
+94

[InvalidCastException: Cast from string "/enotifications/notification.asp"
to type 'Long' is not valid.]
Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.LongType.FromString(String Value)
+206
Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.LongType.FromObject(Object Value)
+711
Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.ObjectType.BitAndObj(Object obj1,
Object obj2) +880
eNotifications.SessionCheck.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in
C:\Documents and
Settings\MeadeR.UBHT_NT.000\VSWebCache\avondev\eNotifications\Secure\Session
Check.ascx.vb:31

Regards

Rob

nfedin

The problem is that you are send a string to a function that expects a
number, but the string is not a number. See my comments below...

Rob Meade said:
[...]

The above line says that it was trying to parse a string value into a
Decimal type.
Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.LongType.FromString(String Value)
+94

[InvalidCastException: Cast from string "/enotifications/notification.asp"
to type 'Long' is not valid.]

Above, it tells you the string contains the value
"/enotifications/notification.asp" and it is trying to convert it to a
long, which won't work. Change the value of the string to a number
and you will be on your way.

Rob Meade

The problem is that you are send a string to a function that expects a
number, but the string is not a number. See my comments below...

Many thanks for your reply nfedin.

Regards

Rob