Interpreting the error message?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Rob Meade, Jan 27, 2004.

  1. Rob Meade

    Rob Meade Guest

    Hi all,

    I have a webform containing about 9 web user controls, these primarily are
    just html in a control thats used as the template etc..

    A colleague has given me another control for our secure login, alas he's not
    around to ask for help at the moment, but since adding his control I get an
    error and I simply cannot decipher what it means, therefore I cannot find
    where I need to look, the only thing I can confirm is that before I added
    his control everything was fine (and I've not added any other since or made
    any other changes since) - if I remove his control (and the associated code
    in the html view) then my app works fine again....bit stuck...

    I am receiving the following error message but I have no idea where to start
    looking - any help is apprecated :)

    Server Error in '/eNotifications' Application.
    ----

    Input string was not in a correct format.

    Exception Details: System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct
    format.

    Source Error:

    Stack Trace:

    [FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.]
    Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.DecimalType.Parse(String Value,
    NumberFormatInfo NumberFormat) +207
    Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.LongType.FromString(String Value)
    +94

    [InvalidCastException: Cast from string "/enotifications/notification.asp"
    to type 'Long' is not valid.]
    Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.LongType.FromString(String Value)
    +206
    Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.LongType.FromObject(Object Value)
    +711
    Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.ObjectType.BitAndObj(Object obj1,
    Object obj2) +880
    eNotifications.SessionCheck.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in
    C:\Documents and
    Settings\MeadeR.UBHT_NT.000\VSWebCache\avondev\eNotifications\Secure\Session
    Check.ascx.vb:31

    Regards

    Rob
    Rob Meade, Jan 27, 2004

  2. Rob Meade

    nfedin Guest

    The problem is that you are send a string to a function that expects a
    number, but the string is not a number. See my comments below...

    "Rob Meade" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have a webform containing about 9 web user controls, these primarily are
    > just html in a control thats used as the template etc..
    >
    > A colleague has given me another control for our secure login, alas he's not
    > around to ask for help at the moment, but since adding his control I get an
    > error and I simply cannot decipher what it means, therefore I cannot find
    > where I need to look, the only thing I can confirm is that before I added
    > his control everything was fine (and I've not added any other since or made
    > any other changes since) - if I remove his control (and the associated code
    > in the html view) then my app works fine again....bit stuck...
    >
    > I am receiving the following error message but I have no idea where to start
    > looking - any help is apprecated :)
    >

    > Server Error in '/eNotifications' Application.
    > ----
    >
    > Input string was not in a correct format.
    >
    > Exception Details: System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct
    > format.
    >
    > Source Error:

    > current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the
    >
    > Stack Trace:
    >
    > [FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.]
    > Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.DecimalType.Parse(String Value,
    > NumberFormatInfo NumberFormat) +207

    The above line says that it was trying to parse a string value into a
    Decimal type.

    > Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.LongType.FromString(String Value)
    > +94
    >
    > [InvalidCastException: Cast from string "/enotifications/notification.asp"
    > to type 'Long' is not valid.]

    Above, it tells you the string contains the value
    "/enotifications/notification.asp" and it is trying to convert it to a
    long, which won't work. Change the value of the string to a number
    and you will be on your way.

    nfedin, Jan 27, 2004

  3. Rob Meade

    Rob Meade Guest

    "nfedin" wrote ...

    > The problem is that you are send a string to a function that expects a
    > number, but the string is not a number. See my comments below...

    Many thanks for your reply nfedin.

    Regards

    Rob
    Rob Meade, Jan 28, 2004