    do u no the a to this q???

    --
    mfg, heinrich :)
    Heinrich Pumpernickel, Aug 16, 2007

  2. In article <>,
    Heinrich Pumpernickel <> wrote:
    >i got this question in a c/c++ job interview............
    >
    >"why are manhole covers round? give at least 10 reasons"
    >
    >do u no the a to this q???

    I doubt CLC is the place to get an answer to questions like that.
    Most likely they were looking for an answer that would indicate some
    combination of creative thought and ability to identify problems and
    possible solutions.
    This is as important a skill for programming-in-general (not specific
    to C) as things like attention to detail or obsession with correctness
    (things like using proper punctuation and capitalization, getting the name
    of the language you're talking about right, and using standard English
    when you're addressing English-speakers are usually good indicators
    of those).

    dave
    (not sure what to pin a grasp of subtlety on, though)

    --
    Dave Vandervies

    I think I'll go talk to the cat for a while.
    --Mike Wahler in comp.lang.c
    Dave Vandervies, Aug 16, 2007

  3. Heinrich Pumpernickel <> writes:
    > i got this question in a c/c++ job interview............
    >
    > "why are manhole covers round? give at least 10 reasons"
    >
    > do u no the a to this q???

    Do unicorns nominate the aardvark to this quagmire? I have no idea.
    You might get better answers in alt.gibberish, if it existed.

    Or try asking questions in actual English, and make sure any questions
    you post here actually have something to do with C.

    Keith Thompson, Aug 16, 2007
  4. Heinrich Pumpernickel

    dick Guest

    Heinrich Pumpernickel wrote:
    > i got this question in a c/c++ job interview............
    >
    > "why are manhole covers round? give at least 10 reasons"
    >
    > do u no the a to this q???

    Yes, I know!

    Go to the street to find a square cover and try to drop it into the
    hole!

    Do you have a high school diploma? you should know A^2+B^2=C^2.
    Hence C>A when B>0.

    |\
    | \
    |A \ C
    | \
    |_B__\

    dick, Aug 16, 2007
  5. Heinrich Pumpernickel said:

    > i got this question in a c/c++ job interview............
    >
    > "why are manhole covers round? give at least 10 reasons"

    To find out whether you're capable of answering an easy question without
    going crawling to Usenet for help, and to determine whether you
    understand the concept of binary representation.

    > do u no the a to this q???

    Ah, now you've lost me.

    Email: -www. +rjh@
    Richard Heathfield, Aug 16, 2007
  6. Heinrich Pumpernickel

    SM Ryan Guest

    Heinrich Pumpernickel <> wrote:
    # i got this question in a c/c++ job interview............
    #
    # "why are manhole covers round? give at least 10 reasons"

    Because manholes are round. An equilateral triangle manhole would
    be superior in some respects.

    --
    SM Ryan http://www.rawbw.com/~wyrmwif/
    You face forward, or you face the possibility of shock and damage.
    SM Ryan, Aug 16, 2007
  7. Heinrich Pumpernickel wrote:

    >i got this question in a c/c++ job interview............
    >"why are manhole covers round? give at least 10 reasons"
    >do u no the a to this q???

    No, but if you go near one and keep really really quiet, you may see
    the man when he comes out to feed. Ask him ...

    Roberto Waltman

    [ Please reply to the group,
    return address is invalid ]
    Roberto Waltman, Aug 16, 2007
  8. Heinrich Pumpernickel

    Eric Sosman Guest

    Heinrich Pumpernickel wrote:
    > i got this question in a c/c++ job interview............
    >
    > "why are manhole covers round? give at least 10 reasons"
    >
    > do u no the a to this q???

    1) bcz ty !w fit othryz

    2) its ezr

    3) 5gonal cvs lk fny

    4) 8gonal cvs stp trfk

    5) ther nt

    6) sxst pig shd b "personhole"

    .... & thts >10 rezns quartal

    --
    Eric Sosman
    lid
    Eric Sosman, Aug 16, 2007
  9. Heinrich Pumpernickel wrote:
    > i got this question in a c/c++ job interview............
    >
    > "why are manhole covers round? give at least 10 reasons"
    >
    > do u no the a to this q???

    Where I come from, manholes are mainly rectangular.

    Phil
    Philip Potter, Aug 16, 2007
  10. Heinrich Pumpernickel

    Guest

    On Aug 16, 1:30 am, Heinrich Pumpernickel <>
    wrote:
    > i got this question in a c/c++ job interview............
    >
    > "why are manhole covers round? give at least 10 reasons"
    >
    > do u no the a to this q???
    >
    > --
    > mfg, heinrich :)

    The manhole is round to make sense to this question.
    , Aug 16, 2007
  11. The two answers to this question are.

    A manhole cover is round because a circle has the greatest length
    between its corners compared to other shapes, this means there is more
    space you can utilise because tehre is more space between the corners.

    A manhole cover is round because a man hole is round.
    Very.Little.Gravitas.Indeed, Aug 16, 2007
  12. Heinrich Pumpernickel

    Shadowman Guest

    Richard Heathfield wrote:
    > Heinrich Pumpernickel said:
    >
    >> i got this question in a c/c++ job interview............
    >>
    >> "why are manhole covers round? give at least 10 reasons"

    > To find out whether you're capable of answering an easy question without
    > going crawling to Usenet for help,

    Or maybe he was applying for a job with the water & sewer department?

    > and to determine whether you
    > understand the concept of binary representation.

    That's kind of a dirty trick, don't you think? One could have a pretty
    clear understanding of binary representation yet still not interpret 10
    as binary when completely out of context, right? In most cases, written
    numbers are understood to have a "default" base.

    Or maybe it's just that I didn't get it at first :(

    --
    SM
    rot13 for email
    Shadowman, Aug 16, 2007
  13. [comp.lang.c] Shadowman <> wrote:

    >> Heinrich Pumpernickel said:

    >>> "why are manhole covers round? give at least 10 reasons"

    > That's kind of a dirty trick, don't you think? One could have a pretty
    > clear understanding of binary representation yet still not interpret 10
    > as binary when completely out of context, right? In most cases, written
    > numbers are understood to have a "default" base.

    If the base of the number is something other than the obvious, what's
    to suggest that the interviewer was not looking for 0x10 reasons
    manhole covers are round?

    (I think it's a lousy interview question unless it's asked in a
    face-to-face, and even then it's not so great.)

    --
    C. Benson Manica | I appreciate all corrections, polite or otherwise.
    cbmanica(at)gmail.com |
    Christopher Benson-Manica, Aug 16, 2007
  14. Heinrich Pumpernickel

    CBFalconer Guest

    "Very.Little.Gravitas.Indeed" wrote:

    > A manhole cover is round because a circle has the greatest length
    > between its corners compared to other shapes, this means there is
    > more space you can utilise because tehre is more space between the
    > corners.

    This is only half right. The roundness prevents dropping it
    through the manhole, and thus reduces the replacement costs.

    <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>

    CBFalconer, Aug 16, 2007
  15. Heinrich Pumpernickel

    Al Balmer Guest

    On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 00:38:12 +0000, Richard Heathfield
    <> wrote:

    >Heinrich Pumpernickel said:
    >
    >> i got this question in a c/c++ job interview............
    >>
    >> "why are manhole covers round? give at least 10 reasons"

    >To find out whether you're capable of answering an easy question without
    >going crawling to Usenet for help, and to determine whether you
    >understand the concept of binary representation.

    <G> I missed that. It does make the question easier.

    --
    Al Balmer
    Sun City, AZ
    Al Balmer, Aug 16, 2007
  16. Heinrich Pumpernickel

    Al Balmer Guest

    On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 12:01:01 -0000, "Very.Little.Gravitas.Indeed"
    <> wrote:

    >The two answers to this question are.
    >
    >A manhole cover is round because a circle has the greatest length
    >between its corners compared to other shapes, this means there is more
    >space you can utilise because tehre is more space between the corners.

    You may be trying to say that it requires the least material for a
    given minimum dimension.

    >A manhole cover is round because a man hole is round.

    Also, it can't fall through the hole (also true for the equilateral
    triangle someone suggested.)

    It's easy to roll.

    Men are (more or less) round in cross-section.

    --
    Al Balmer
    Sun City, AZ
    Al Balmer, Aug 16, 2007
  17. Re: [OT] interview question

    Al Balmer <> writes:
    [...]
    > Also, it can't fall through the hole (also true for the equilateral
    > triangle someone suggested.)

    If the rim is sufficiently narrow and the cover sufficiently thin, you
    can drop a triangular manhole cover into a triangular manhole. Set
    the cover on edge, then lift it so that one edge is vertical. The
    width of the cover is the distance from a vertex to the center of the
    opposite side; this can fit through the hold along one edge.

    This is easily avoided, though, by making the rim wide enough.

    Keith Thompson, Aug 16, 2007
  18. In article <>,
    CBFalconer <> wrote:

    >> A manhole cover is round because a circle has the greatest length
    >> between its corners compared to other shapes, this means there is
    >> more space you can utilise because tehre is more space between the
    >> corners.

    >This is only half right. The roundness prevents dropping it
    >through the manhole, and thus reduces the replacement costs.

    However, many manhole covers *aren't* round. All the ones near here
    seem to be rectangular.

    -- Richard
    in some alphabets" - X3.4, 1963.
    Richard Tobin, Aug 16, 2007
  19. Heinrich Pumpernickel wrote:

    > i got this question in a c/c++ job interview............
    >
    > "why are manhole covers round?

    01) Because manhole holes are round!
    10) It's the most efficient shape to let large-bellied workers
    through.

    > give at least 10 reasons"

    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand
    binary, and those who don't.

    > do u no the a to this q???

    Can you translate that into English, please?

    Don't e-mail me at: <mailto:>
    Kenneth Brody, Aug 16, 2007
  20. On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 16:48:45 GMT, Al Balmer <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 12:01:01 -0000, "Very.Little.Gravitas.Indeed"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>The two answers to this question are.
    >>
    >>A manhole cover is round because a circle has the greatest length
    >>between its corners compared to other shapes, this means there is more
    >>space you can utilise because tehre is more space between the corners.
    >>

    >You may be trying to say that it requires the least material for a
    >given minimum dimension.
    >
    >>A manhole cover is round because a man hole is round.

    >Also, it can't fall through the hole (also true for the equilateral
    >triangle someone suggested.)

    my boss sez thats !true b/c according to a^2 + b^2 = c^2 , in his
    words ,

    "the height of a equilateral triangle is 0.8660254 times its edge
    length, so there's plenty of space left to accomodate for the
    supporting rim and the cover's thickness, and still some space
    left to allow it drop down.

    what people really mean in this context is *reuleaux triangles*,
    or really any reuleaux polygons with an uneven number of corners..."

    >It's easy to roll.
    >
    >Men are (more or less) round in cross-section.

    but !if they carry their equpment on their backs

    --
    mfg, heinrich :)
    Heinrich Pumpernickel, Aug 16, 2007