    so what exactly is this web application ???
    is it really possible to build a web app in C???

    , Nov 6, 2007

  2. wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am fresh college grad. I recently went for interview there i was
    > asked the following questions
    >
    > 1) what is meant by a web application???
    > 2) can you make a web application in C???
    >
    > to the first question my answer was an application that can be
    > accessed via web and that which requires a web server.
    >
    > then they asked the question how is the communication taking place
    > between client and server??
    >
    > to this question i said via protocols, then they said this is not the
    > answer they expected.

    If this is indeed the question they asked and the question you gave,
    then it is a valid (though incomplete) answer.

    It's a fairly open-ended question, and it doesn't give any clues as to
    how much detail they want and whether they want information about the
    nature of the communication medium or about the nature of the data being
    sent, though in the context I'd say the data was more interesting to
    talk about.

    > to the second question i said the answer i just don't know.

    Probably wise. Better to admit ignorance than feign knowledge. (I have
    successfully passed an interview in which I said "I don't know" more
    than once.)

    > so what exactly is this web application ???
    > is it really possible to build a web app in C???

    I'm unaware of any strict definition of the term, but I would hazard a
    guess that it's a program involved in web content. I would include
    flash, java applets, and cgi scripts in this definition. CGI can
    definitely be written in C.

    --
    Philip Potter pgp <at> doc.ic.ac.uk

    Philip Potter, Nov 6, 2007

  3. santosh Guest

    On Tuesday 06 Nov 2007 8:32 pm <
    <>:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am fresh college grad. I recently went for interview there i was
    > asked the following questions
    >
    > 1) what is meant by a web application???
    > 2) can you make a web application in C???
    >
    > to the first question my answer was an application that can be
    > accessed via web and that which requires a web server.
    >
    > then they asked the question how is the communication taking place
    > between client and server??
    >
    > to this question i said via protocols, then they said this is not the
    > answer they expected.

    No. Communication does take place via various protocols.

    > to the second question i said the answer i just don't know.
    >
    > so what exactly is this web application ???
    > is it really possible to build a web app in C???

    It is possible. C places very few restrictions on what can be done with
    it. Nevertheless some tasks are easier done in languages specifically
    developed for them.

    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_application>
    <http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/ibm/library/it-booch_web/>
    <http://www.w3.org/2006/appformats/>
    <http://www.webappsec.org/>
    <http://www.caucho.com/resin-3.0/webapp/index.xtp>
    <http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Main_Page>

    santosh, Nov 6, 2007
  4. [comp.lang.c] Philip Potter <> wrote:

    > Probably wise. Better to admit ignorance than feign knowledge. (I have
    > successfully passed an interview in which I said "I don't know" more
    > than once.)

    Likewise; I remember a question where I was asked what the three
    characteristics of object-oriented programming were - I remembered two
    of inheritance, encapsulation, and polymorphism, but blanked on the
    third. All was well anyway.

    > I'm unaware of any strict definition of the term, but I would hazard a
    > guess that it's a program involved in web content. I would include
    > flash, java applets, and cgi scripts in this definition. CGI can
    > definitely be written in C.

    My first job was maintaining some C-flavored-C++ CGI's, so it indeed
    has been done, although these days C is not the best choice for such
    work.

    --
    C. Benson Manica | I appreciate all corrections, polite or otherwise.
    cbmanica(at)gmail.com |

    Christopher Benson-Manica, Nov 6, 2007
  5. Richard Guest

    Christopher Benson-Manica <> writes:

    > [comp.lang.c] Philip Potter <> wrote:
    >
    >> Probably wise. Better to admit ignorance than feign knowledge. (I have
    >> successfully passed an interview in which I said "I don't know" more
    >> than once.)

    > Likewise; I remember a question where I was asked what the three
    > characteristics of object-oriented programming were - I remembered two
    > of inheritance, encapsulation, and polymorphism, but blanked on the
    > third. All was well anyway.

    Did they give you any arithmetic tests?

    Richard, Nov 6, 2007
  6. Richard Guest

    Richard <> writes:

    > Christopher Benson-Manica <> writes:
    >
    >> [comp.lang.c] Philip Potter <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Probably wise. Better to admit ignorance than feign knowledge. (I have
    >>> successfully passed an interview in which I said "I don't know" more
    >>> than once.)

    >> Likewise; I remember a question where I was asked what the three
    >> characteristics of object-oriented programming were - I remembered two
    >> of inheritance, encapsulation, and polymorphism, but blanked on the
    >> third. All was well anyway.

    > Did they give you any arithmetic tests?

    Ignore that smart assed half joke which wasn't funny because I missed
    you're "of" ....

    Richard, Nov 6, 2007
  7. Flash Gordon Guest

    Philip Potter wrote, On 06/11/07 15:24:
    > wrote:

    <snip>

    >> to the second question i said the answer i just don't know.

    > Probably wise. Better to admit ignorance than feign knowledge. (I have
    > successfully passed an interview in which I said "I don't know" more
    > than once.)

    I once failed an interview for being too good by answering most
    questions with, "I don't know, but I would expect it to be something
    like...", or "I've not had to do anything like that, but I would
    approach the problem like this..." Obviously I should have just said, "I
    don't know" and left it at that to get the job :)

    >> so what exactly is this web application ???
    > > is it really possible to build a web app in C???

    > I'm unaware of any strict definition of the term, but I would hazard a
    > guess that it's a program involved in web content. I would include
    > flash, java applets, and cgi scripts in this definition. CGI can
    > definitely be written in C.

    Everything that does not require client side execution can be written in
    C with possibly some networking extensions. However I'm seeing other
    languages being used more often.
    --
    Flash Gordon

    Flash Gordon, Nov 6, 2007
  8. santosh Guest

    On Wednesday 07 Nov 2007 12:32 am Flash Gordon <>
    wrote in article <-gordon.me.uk>:
    > Philip Potter wrote, On 06/11/07 15:24:
    >> wrote:

    <snip>

    >>> is it really possible to build a web app in C???

    >> I'm unaware of any strict definition of the term, but I would hazard
    >> a guess that it's a program involved in web content. I would include
    >> flash, java applets, and cgi scripts in this definition. CGI can
    >> definitely be written in C.

    > Everything that does not require client side execution can be written
    > in C with possibly some networking extensions. However I'm seeing
    > other languages being used more often.

    Even programs requiring client-side execution can be done in C if the
    browser provides a C compiler or interpreter plug-in. :)

    Of course it would be a major risk to run a language with pointers and
    no protection from a possibly untrusted source...

    santosh, Nov 6, 2007
  9. user923005 Guest

    On Nov 6, 7:02 am, wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am fresh college grad. I recently went for interview there i was
    > asked the following questions
    >
    > 1) what is meant by a web application???

    I would say an application that interfaces with the world wide web.
    Then I would ask them for their definition.

    > 2) can you make a web application in C???

    Yes, but it requires implementation defined behavior. There are (for
    instance) a large number of web servers written in C. And you can
    interface to a Web server using C language libraries. Other web
    services such as ping servers, mail servers, etc. can also be written
    in C. A quick perusal of SourceForge will reveal plenty of web
    services written in C. I would probably use C++ and a toolkit like
    ACE unless the project were a simple one.

    > to the first question my answer was an application that can be
    > accessed via web and that which requires a web server.

    That is too narrow, I think. But I would not call it wrong.

    > then they asked the question how is the communication taking place
    > between client and server??

    Typically, using TCP/IP. That's probably what they were after.

    > to this question i said via protocols, then they said this is not the
    > answer they expected.

    And yet it is a correct answer.

    > to the second question i said the answer i just don't know.

    I broadly prefer this kind of answer to someone trying to buffalo
    through the interview.

    > so what exactly is this web application ???

    Depends on your definition of web application. What about an NNTP
    news server? A web application or not? I would say 'yes.'

    > is it really possible to build a web app in C???

    All things are possible. It's not a bad choice, really. Perhaps not
    optimal, but if the company creating the product has a large number of
    talented and available C programmers it is probably a very good
    choice.

    user923005, Nov 6, 2007